[3.8 - BLIGHT] 40 Second Map Clear Budget MF - 452% Movespeed & 114% Item Quantity
Disclaimer: This is not a beginner friendly build, it's not a boss killer and probably not the best league start unless you know what you're doing. What this build does better than any other is amassing currency in low tier maps.
--------------Live Stream-------------- (I will answer all questions live)
Come check me out live at: https://www.twitch.tv/fpskappa. Feel free to hang out, chill, and ask any questions. I am west coast NA so usually will be around after 5 PM PST week days and varied times on the weekend.
- Sept 6, 2019 Update: (3.8 - BLIGHT)
How has TS changed going into 3.8?
1. The +2 Secondary Tornado shot proj helm enchant is now only +1, this hurts but is not the end of the world.
2. Changes to fork:
We've fixed a bug that meant that secondary projectiles from Fork could hit the target that they forked from with certain skills. For players, this only applied to Tornado Shot and Barrage. This provided a huge unintended damage bonus to these skills.
3. Changes to chain:
We've also made some improvements to how all projectiles select targets when chaining. Previously, two projectiles from a single attack could attempt to chain to the same target, but only one would be able to hit. Now chaining projectiles won't attempt to chain to the same target unless no other targets are available, which significantly improves the clearing capabilities of Chaining projectiles when used with additional projectiles.
What changed with my build?
Stuff has gotten tankier, Rares and magics got their HP buffed in 3.7, there are now "Rare packs" with more tougher monsters, and Blight is going to have more strong monsters. The nodes also shuffled around a bit and I no longer put as much focus in flask effectiveness.
New 3.8 PoB added!
TL:DR - Slightly less movement speed, more damage, more life.
- July 5, 2019 Update:
Added a new Tanky / DPS version of the build as per the many requests I received.
This is the build to take on the new tougher legion content; 3.7 is much harder than 3.6, this PoB has significantly more DPS and Life at the expense of a bit of movement speed and 10% quantity loss. I've also added a low level precision aura and changed my HoI setup from 6L to 5L. This is the current recommended build.
See passive tree section for the new 3.7 PoB.
- June 6, 2019 Update: (3.7 - LEGION)
How has the build changed from the new 3.7 passive tree?
We dropped unnatural instinct because of the nerf and picked up some of the new movement speed / bow damage nodes. Overall we gain about 10% total DPS from the tree (This will likely be offset by the abyss jewel nerfs). I haven't had a chance to play with the new gems / items yet so there may be more changes to come.
See passive tree section for the new 3.7 PoB.
- May 29, 2019 Update:
Added Headhunter + 2 IL version of the build that is also tankier and keeps rampage. See passive tree section.
- May 27, 2019 Update:
I've added a tankier version of the build with 4000 life that maintains the same offensive and defense stats and only loses about 30% "increased movement speed". See passive tree section.
Here is a sub 40 second T6 Burial Chamber run to give an idea of what the build does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGqg2blF-vE
You can also farm T16, although I suggest an aurabot or some gear swapping for best results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_KD0RLt6ms
Before we get started
- No "legacy" gear was used as this was done in the synthesis league. All those builds you see with 150%+ item quantity are no longer possible for league play because they use items or item rolls that no longer drop in the current game.
- This build doesn't use headhunter or inspired learning (although you can use it if you want) making it a fairly good introductory MF build while also being a great option for veterans who want to Min/Max their farm game.
- This build is intended for the best possible clear speed while running full MF gear, as a result it is not ideal for atlas completion, hard bosses, deep delving, uber lab, carrying 6 man T16's without an aurabot, etc. Although you can probably do these things very well with the right gear swap.
- You can run this as a league starter, most of the items are optional and can be added over time. Focus on clear speed first and transition into magic find gear as you can afford it.
- This is obviously not hardcore viable, you will die sometimes. I suggest leveling to 90 or 95 properly (with gear that has some life rolls) before transitioning into this build.
What makes this build different than other Windripper Tornado Shot Builds?
- Permanent up-time on Divination Distillate (while using flask effect nodes) gives us 24% increased item quantity, 80% increased item rarity, capped elemental resistances and constant life regeneration which out heals our blood rage.
- Permanent up-time on Vaal Haste gives us 31% increased attack speed and 14% increased movement speed.
- Unaffected by "No Regeneration" map mod.
- Crazy amount of movement speed.
- Not reliant on Headhunter to clear fast.
How does this build work?
This build revolves around the unique Divination Distillate flask while using all the "increased Effect of Flasks on you" nodes in the tree to get 24% increased item quantity, 80% increased item rarity, capped elemental resistances and constant life regeneration.
For comparison 24% increased item quantity is more than any other one item in the game currently gives.
The problem with Divination Distillate is that it is not a utility flask, instead it is a hybrid flask meaning once your life and mana are full, it will deactivate.
My solution to this problem was the Soul Catcher unique flask. This flask has the modifier Cannot gain Mana during effect allowing us to deplete our mana without it refilling. The result is that while Soul Catcher is active, Divination Distillate will never shut off!
Another advantage of Soul Catcher is Vaal Skills used during effect have 40% reduced Soul Gain Prevention Duration, what this means for us is essentially permanent up-time on Vaal Haste with a 2.78 second soul gain prevention and a 4 second duration.
But the Soul Catcher flask introduced another problem along with it's advantage; Cannot gain Mana during effect. The solution here was to use the Blood Magic Support gem. By supporting Tornado Shot, Lightning Golem, Blink Arrow, and Phase Run with Blood Magic, and leaving Blood Rage to use mana, I am able to get my mana below full with blood rage for the Divination Distillate + Soul Catcher combo to work, while not having to worry about the resource cost of my other skills. It also means we are unaffected by the "No Regeneration" map modifier.
The Blood Magic gem comes with another advantage; We can reserve almost all our mana (we only need 17 unreserved to cast blood rage). I took advantage of this by doing a super juicy 6L Herald of Ice setup. This setup reserves 96%(46 HoI / 50 Grace) of our mana and gives us power charge generation, frenzy charge generation, innervate, and a much more consistent onslaught than the abyss jewel grants. These supports also mean our Herald of Ice itself does a lot more damage:
Everything else in the build is fairly similar to the traditional Queen of the Forest Windripper build, except I have put much more focus into maximizing clear speed. For those who aren't familiar with Queen of the Forest builds, what make's it good is 1% increased Movement Speed per 600 Evasion Rating, up to 75% this caps out at 45000 evasion. We easily reach (and exceed) this evasion number almost entirely through a level 23 Grace gem and an Alchemist's Jade Flask of Reflexes:
Core Mechanics and Stats
Most of our damage comes from the Deadeye Ascendancy (more on this in the Ascendancy section, flat added damage abyss jewels, added damage from gems/auras/buffs, Rigwald's Quills (or a rare quiver with good mods or +1 chain corruption), the +2 secondary projectiles helmet enchant, and Critical Strike scaling.
We have an insane amount of attack and spell avoidance, but most of our defense comes from our 56000 evasion and Dodge/Spell Dodge from Acrobatics/Soul Catcher Quartz Flask.
Overall we have:
- 82% chance to evade attacks (vs level 73 monsters)
- 10% chance to avoid projectiles (Lunaris Pantheon)
- 5% chance to evade attacks if you've taken a savage hit recently (Garukhan Pantheon)
- 53% chance to dodge attacks
- 43% chance to dodge spells
- 5% chance to dodge attack and spell hits if you've been hit recently (Lunaris Pantheon)
- Immunity to Corrupting Blood (from corrupted abyss jewel)
- Permanent Phasing
- 75% all elemental resistances (thanks mostly to Divination Distillate)
- Immunity to Curses OR Immunity to Freeze. (We only have room for one, unless you want to keep a flask swap for certain maps)
- Constant Life gain from Divination Distillate Flask
Overall you shouldn't die often if played correctly, but if you do, there is always Cast on Death + Portal:
This is where the fun begins! The main reason I did not go with Headhunter is because of how much movement speed we already get, it's hard enough to control the character at 450% movement speed, any more is just overkill and doesn't provide much benefit.
Sources of Reliable Movement Speed:
- 110% - Alchemist's Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline
- 50% - Queen of the Forest (Hidden implicit movement speed reduction from chest pieces is negated by Art of the Gladiator passive)
- 48% - Passives
- 20% - Devoto's Devotion
- 20% - Onslaught
- 20% - Goldwyrm (With 10% Movement speed if not hit recently enchant)
- 15% - Grace Watcher's Eye Jewel
- 14% - Transcendent Spirit Jewel
- 14% - Vaal Haste
- 9% - Unnatural Instinct
- 7% - Rare Shaper Amulet (Can divine to 8%)
- 6% - Pantheon (Garukhan)
- 4% - Rare Abyss Jewel
Sources of Conditional Movement Speed:
- 62% - Phase Run (Use in between shots, Mirage Archer does not cancel phase run)
- 20% - Rampage (Gives 1% Movement Speed per 20 stacks - 400 stacks is a reasonable average estimate here)
- 8% - Pantheon (Lunaris)
Subtotal: 427% (457% with full rampage stacks)
Movement Speed Multiplier:
- 10% to 20% more - Tailwind (Deadeye Ascendancy)
Total: 548% Effective movement speed at MAXIMUM VELOCITY.
But realistically you will spend most of your time mapping at around 400% effective movement speed.
Item Quantity / Item Rarity
Sources of Item Quantity:
- 24% - Divination Distillate
- 20% - Goldwyrm
- 15% - The Pariah
- 15% - The Pariah
- 15% - Windripper
- 10% - Shaper Amulet
- 10% - Sadima's Touch
- 5% - Bisco's Leash
Sources of Item Rarity:
- 80% - Divination Distillate
- 30% - Windripper
Total: 114% Item Quantity / 110% Item Rarity
Overall this build is able to function on a less than 5 exalt budget, is mostly min-maxed on a 20 exalt budget and reaches perfection at around 40 exalts.
I am leaving gems out of pricing as 21/20 gems are optional, corrupted 20/20 gems are very affordable.
Below is a rough estimate of what I paid for each item halfway through the 3.6 Synthesis league:
- 20 exalts (optional) - Unnatural Instinct
- 16 exalts (optional) - Devoto's Devotion (+2 Tornado Shot projectiles enchant) - Devoto's is optional but the helm enchant is very important. Cheaper options are Starkonja's, Rat's Nest, or a rare helmet. These typical sell for 2-5 exalts.
- 4 exalts - 6L Windripper (Very high roll - Self 6L'd) - Lioneye's Glare is a great budget alternative and will generally sell for under 20 chaos.
- 3 exalts - 6L Queen of the Forest (Mid roll) - 6L is optional here, it's just quality of life
- 3 exalts (optional) - Rigwald's Quills (Mid roll with decent added fire damage corrupt) - Corrupt is optional
- 1 exalt - Rare Shaper Amulet (10% Quantity and 7% Movement speed) Only 10% quantity is required here, this is your only rare item, get any stats you want / need here
- 1 exalt - Goldwyrm (Perfect Quantity Roll and 1% off perfect fire roll with 10% Movement speed enchant)
- 1 exalt - Sadima's Touch (Perfect Roll with Attack's have increased crit chance corruption) - Corruption is optional, only adds about 3% DPS
- 1 exalt - The Pariah (Perfect roll + White Socket)
- 1 exalt - The Pariah (Perfect roll + White Socket)
- 1 exalt - Rare Abyss Jewel (Corrupting Blood Immunity + DPS)
- 1 exalt - Rare Abyss Jewel (4 DPS Mods)
- 1 exalt - Rare Abyss Jewel (4 DPS Mods)
- 1 exalt - Watcher's Eye (Grace Movement Speed perfect roll)
- 0.3 exalt - Divination Distillate Flask (perfect roll)
- 0.2 exalt - Soul Catcher Flask (Near perfect roll)
- 0.2 exalt - Alchemist's Jade Flask of Reflexes (1% off perfect roll, self crafted)
- 0.2 exalt - Alchemist's Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline (Perfect roll - self rolled)
- 0.2 exalt - Bisco's Leash
- 0.1 exalt - Transcendent Spirit Jewel
- 0.1 exalt - Conqueror's Potency Jewel (10% Crit Chance Corruption)
- Free - Any Diamond Flask of Warding
Passive Tree / Path of Building
Original build (110% IIQ / 424% PoB MS):
Monolith farmer - Tankier & More DPS (104% IIQ / 450% PoB MS):
Original Build (114% IIQ / 480% PoB MS): https://pastebin.com/HmHJzBTP
Original Build (2k life 490% PoB MS): https://pastebin.com/JmB2L07v
Tankier Build (4k life 442% PoB MS): https://pastebin.com/4SdjqAxc
Headhunter + 2 Inspired Learning Build (3150 life 452% MS): https://pastebin.com/NtaQX2y5
Deadeye has by far the best clear speed of the 3 choices, it has the most damage, movement speed (because of tailwind), attack speed, and accuracy. Below are the Ascendancies in order of which to get first.
This is one of the best ascendancy nodes in the game, it gives you (and your allies) up to 20% Action Speed Modifier, which multiplies your movement speed, attack speed, etc. It also gives a free 1000 evasion for our Queen of the Forest.
2. Far Shot
Far Shot has insane synergy and basically acts as a 30% more damage multiplier for Tornado Shot. As confirmed by GGG, far shot is based on the total distance traveled, not the distance from the character, secondary projectiles, forks, and chains are a continuation of the original projectile: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/6zy27p/point_blank_mechanics/dn594gv/?context=5. This basically means Tornado Shot is almost always getting max use out of far shot: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Far_Shot
Ricochet is almost unparalleled when it comes to clearing a map packed with trash monsters. It also has synergy with Far Shot. Combined with our Chain Gem
our initial hit will do about 30% more damage.
4. Fast and Deadly
This one is a ball of really good stats with Accuracy Rating is Doubled being a massive DPS boost. According to the PoB DPS calculator, removing this node would cost me almost 20% of my DPS.
Possible Alternative to Deadeye
I did experiment with Pathfinder and there was an argument to be made for an extra 20% Flask Effectiveness (4% item quantity, 12% item rarity among other things), permanent elemental status ailment immunity, and much better flask up-time for situations where you aren't constantly killing. It's just hard to compete with the clear speed of Deadeye. If you do go with Pathfinder, take: Nature's Boon, Master Alchemist, Veteran Bowyer, and Nature's Adrenaline.
The Pantheon choices are pretty obvious here; Lunaris and Garukhan give great defenses while being the only Pantheons that give movement speed.
Definitely help Alira. 20% Critical Strike Multiplier and 15% All Elemental Resistances are better than any 2 passive nodes for our build. If you don't need the resists, kill them all.
If you have a 5 Link, remove Increased Critical Strikes.
Portal + Portal/Cast on Death + Vaal Haste:
The portal+CoD is optional and more of a meme, definitely nice when you do need it though. Replace this with leveling gems if you don't want it.
Blink Arrow + Lightning Golem:
Lightning golem is the best DPS golem, Blink Arrow has synergy with Fast and Deadly and gets us up and down ledges.
This is completely optional but gives a crazy amount of movement speed. It also has great synergy with Mirage Archer; Just shoot once, pop phase run, and fly through the map as everything dies.
Attack speed, Life leech and Frenzy generation.
Lots of evasion for Queen of the Forest, and movement speed from our Watcher's Eye.
Herald of Ice:
This is our Buff Generator and Clear Speed helper. We get Innervate, Onslaught, Power Charges, and Frenzy Charges from this. If you have a 5L drop Ice Bite as you already get frenzy charges from Blood Rage.
You can level 9 gems in your weapon swap, this is a lot of $$$! Feel free to put a single target set up here if you want.
This build is a lot of fun to play, you must constantly keep moving and killing or you will probably die. Without flask charges you will degen to blood rage, have no curse immunity, and have almost no elemental resistances or evasion. With how fast this build is, keeping flasks up is very trivial though.
The skill rotation
1. Cast lightning golem, if it's dead.
2. Cast blood rage any time you can, it's an instant cast and any time you CAN cast it means you have mana. You don't need mana.
3. Mash all of your potions any time they are about to run out.
4. Cast Vaal Haste any time it's up and phase run is not active. (Don't cancel phase run with Vaal Haste)
5. Shoot Stuff with Tornado Shot.
6. Use Phase run after you've done steps 1 to 5. (using another ability cancels phase run)
7. Run around really fast and let Mirage Archer kill stuff until phase run ends.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7.
It may sound complicated but it is very fun and rewarding once you get used to it.
I may add more if this is well received such as what maps to farm, how to roll them, how to make currency etc.
Good luck and Have Fun!
Gotta go fast
Last edited by TiMe4FiGhT on Sep 19, 2019, 8:01:18 PM
Last bumped on Sep 20, 2019, 11:51:50 AM
on May 26, 2019, 9:04:18 PM
Updated build with tankier variant
Gotta go fast
on May 27, 2019, 11:01:57 AM
I saw this linked over on reddit. Looks interesting. I've tried MF TS characters in the past but I get too bored with them before I really get anywhere. I like the mechanics of this though. IIRC one of the past MF characters I played was lighting arrow. Do you think that LA might work in place of TS with this build? Maybe a stupid question, I don't know. I find the TS sound kind of annoying so I'm thinking if there is another skill that could be sued.
Thanks for the build though, I'm going to see if I have an old character that is re-specable into this to test it out.
on May 27, 2019, 8:08:26 PM
If you were bored with the other builds then this is definitely the right one for you. This is easily the most fun character I've ever played and there is never a dull moment to always be 0.1 second away from death if you make a mistake, while having all the tools to avoid death in most situations. (Although if that's too much I did post a significantly tankier version in the passive tree section with minimal difference in clear speed)
LA is the best alternative bow skill to TS here and saves an insane amount of currency since the Tornado Shot helm enchant is so expensive. Even being the best alternative the clear speed noticeably slower.
Gotta go fast
Last edited by TiMe4FiGhT on May 27, 2019, 8:31:09 PM
on May 27, 2019, 8:28:19 PM
why is it called budget? The build cost more then the headhunter it is supposed to farm for.
It‘s possible to get close that speed on a budget with Ele Hit. you lose the quant from windripper but the build would cost only 3 ex + mf gear (which is supposed to have dimishing returns. so i wouldnt count it‘s cost on a mf build.)
You probably meant expensive when you said budget and other then that well done. you proved that ms is the most important stat on mf char. i just want to give an alternative for poor people that want to run burials close as fast as you did.
on May 28, 2019, 1:40:40 AM
Hi Friend, the only two expensive pieces that I am using (Devoto's with +2 TS and Unnatural Instinct) are both very optional.
Excluding those, this build still clears extremely fast and costs less than 10 exalts.
While I was farming my HH (which I ended up selling) I ran only 1 6L (the QoTF), A rare evasion helm with +2 TS I bought for 3 or 4 exalts, and some cheap 3 damage mod abyss jewels I bought for 20-40 c each. The clear was about 80% the speed I have now on a very small budget.
And ele hit doesn't get anywhere near the clear speed of TS, even if you don't have TS helm enchant.
Gotta go fast
on May 28, 2019, 8:42:58 PM
On the low end it's 14ex.
Ok thanks for the info. I am sure I will tinker with this in 3.7. I started a TR character but I'm not sure I'll get far enough with it to really test your build.
on May 28, 2019, 8:43:18 PM
Update; I've added a Headhunter + 2 IL version of the build. See passive section.
Gotta go fast
Last edited by TiMe4FiGhT on May 30, 2019, 12:10:40 AM
on May 30, 2019, 12:10:19 AM
Can you also explain how I should gear after blood aquaduct or at what time I should switch to using Tornado Shot with 5link?
I know when starting the leageu it is really expensive so everyone will start without currency to buy any of the items required for the build.
Any chance you can explain how you transition from bad gear to upgrading to either goldwyrm or pariah and in what order?
Definitely going to play this build next leageu! Thanks for the guide and build.
on May 30, 2019, 4:17:55 AM
This league I started with winter orb so I already had beaten uber elder and had some currency by the time I went Tornado Shot. IMO Racing for end game content as fast as possible is more profitable really early league so I didn't bother trying to magic find for the first 2 weeks.
Also Tornado Shot on it's own is not a great boss killer so you either need to use another bow skill like Caustic Arrow (Caustic arrow is good for progression because it requires little investment and allows you to do any map mod, it also allows you to easily respec to TS when you want), or use another character for your atlas completion.
Once you do have your desired Deadeye character leveled to blood aquaduct, focus on gearing as a classic clear speed focused Tornado Shot character. Don't worry about quantity gear early on as you won't do enough damage yet to clear properly with it. Also you might find lightning arrow is better than Tornado Shot until you get the helmet enchant, this is up to preference.
Also don't worry about Divination Distillate until you get a 6L and some flat damage jewels, the blood magic gem will really destroy the DPS of a 5link.
As I said in the guide, most of your damage comes from abyss jewels, passives, and leveled gems, you may need to supplement your DPS by other means until your DPS can survive on pure quantity gear.
For a 5Link I would do GMP, Chain, Mirage Archer, Added Cold, Tornado Shot.
Here is a PoB from my Tornado Shot character before I transitioned into Divination Distillate + Soul Catcher + Blood Magic gems: https://pastebin.com/XyWFtk2p
You probably want something like this.
Gotta go fast
on May 30, 2019, 9:03:29 PM