Trade system

"
Cyzax wrote:

Given that the trade manifesto comes from the people with the most knowledge about the game, with full access to the code base, designs, intentions and any gathered statistics (trading or otherwise), meaning they have access to FAR more information than you have (by several magnitudes at least), it is by definition not 'lame' :-)

'Someone' might be making 'lame' arguments not based on facts and knowledge, but it is not GGG :-p

Right, because every dev in existance has always done the right things and properly handled the data available to their fullest degree.

Like EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Activision.

Don't you have a phone Cyzax?
Do you love the great game which Fallout 76 is? It's build up on their 'data' as well.
Don't you just revel in the perfect games EA creates with all their lootboxes and sub-par quality?

Oh, lemme see... ah yes, their stock-price all went into oblivion because they made dumb decisions.

Do you think GGG is different? Them being some marvelous perfect things which can't make big mistakes despite a fairly hefty amount of people telling them outright it is the case?

After all we never had the situation where people told a dev to do something and it turned out to be actually right. You know... 'You think you do, but you don't' to have a nice quote with regards to WoW classic.
Should I remind you that it was one of the best-faring game-releases of all time despite this comment? It seems the guy saying it was just... sorry to say it like that... 'full of shit' when speaking about it.

Which leaves the option for Chris to be 'full of shit' regarding the matter of trading as well, a very likely case even as players actually KNOW how it FEELS to interact with the mechanic while he seemingly doesn't.

"
Cyzax wrote:

Actually, for anyone who understands basic economics, it makes perfect sense.
In any system with unlimited supply, lack of demand will cause the economy to collapse... unless you restrict it artificially (ref. the current trade system).

Basic Economy 101...

Once again... you've shown not to know 'Basic Economics 101' several times by now.

You're absolutely right with supply/demand... hence you have to HANDLE that supply and demand... something which ISN'T DONE at the moment.
So first of all we need a mechanic which allows us to take care of that indefinitely, that's the hardest part, but nothing which is mind-boggling hard, there are more then enough available options out there to copy and adjust properly to fit into the game.

Oh, and the TYPE of restriction doesn't matter, it's just that the current way of artificially restricting it by frustration is the worst possible functioning solution available. Sure... it works... and it's damaging the game actively.

So the solution?
ANY other limitation which provides convenience.

Which brings us back to:
-Time-investment by being forced to wait to receive items.
-Limited ability to sell/buy equipment per day or at the same time (More -limited then currently)
-Fees related to the selling-price to counteract the inflation.
-Reselling limitation (For example by Item-ID)
-And whatever else someone who takes more then 2 minutes to think about it adds to it.

Now pick your choice and how severe the handicap for the respective method should be, scramble then together properly and... surprise! You got a friggin working concept.

Not that hard Mr. 'Economy 101' who has no friggin clue beyond the Mantra you're repeating like a madman without thought and sense.
GGG balance is like getting a pizza which is burnt on the sides, raw in the middle and misses the most of the toppings.
Then upon sending it back you get a raw side, burnt middle and enough toppings to drench everything in grease.
Everything fixed but still broken.
"
Cyzax wrote:

Actually, for anyone who understands basic economics, it makes perfect sense.
In any system with unlimited supply, lack of demand will cause the economy to collapse... unless you restrict it artificially (ref. the current trade system).

Basic Economy 101...

First of all when "the current trade system" became a reference for anything?
Second from where you're pulling this non-sense that "will cause the economy to collapse"?
Third what "makes perfect sense" in that manifesto? If you're trying to defend the manifesto why don't you read all that non-sense and come with a decent argument related to what is said in it?

It's true that when we talk about cheap and leveling items we have an offer bigger than demand and that's the cause of their low value but it's far from making the economy to collapse
But when we talk about high-end items we have exactly the opposite the demand is far bigger than the offer and that's why they are expensive

About artificially restrict trade 'make it difficult' is not the only way to do it. Almost all AH proposals include any way to restrict trade and avoid the overflow of cheap items in the market. I'm partial to "limited space" just give each player a small space where he can sell items and sell them more space through microtransactions IMO this is more than enough to avoid the overflow
"
Kulze wrote:

Which leaves the option for Chris to be 'full of shit' regarding the matter of trading

you write alot of text all the time, saying basically nothing else than driving your personal agenda, totally ignoring how this game is designed and different from other games which have more comfortable trading.

you thing you would profit that much from more advanced trade tech that you call the chief designer to be "full of shit" for denying you that option?

still sane, exile?

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Oct 21, 2019, 4:44:31 PM
"
vio wrote:

you write alot of text all the time, saying basically nothing else than driving your personal agenda, totally ignoring how this game is designed and different from other games which have more comfortable trading.

Well then, tell me how exactly it differs from said 'convenient' systems and I'll be happy to provide solutions and discuss them with you in detail. No matter if it takes 1 page, 5 pages or 100 pages, you'll see fairly soon that there is no possible problem which can't be solved by thinking about it.

Also you should properly read my post, I didn't write the word 'option' without a reason. It means that he could be wrong (obviously), something which Cyrax isn't even taking into consideration, hence limiting his view... or rather he isn't able to even look at the topic properly in the first place.

"
vio wrote:

you thing you would profit that much from more advanced trade tech that you call the chief designer to be "full of shit" for denying you that option?

Actually the contrary, not everyone has the goal of 'instant gratification' by getting all the loot and all the end-results immediately. Also a concept which many here seem not to understand.

A convenient trade-system would immediately rise the amount of trades happening, thus more people starting to attempt crafting.
This then leads to an increase in prices for the materials I'm trying to obtain. For example fossils will have a severely increased demand compared to the supply provided which means their prices will rise substantially.
So, since I'm mainly crafting with fossils this means I'll have actually a harder time to create a 'finished' item as is my goal.

Nonetheless I'm opting for a change of the system because of a single reason: It'll feel better. That's worth several times more then doubling... or trippling or heck... even increasing the needed time to farm up the consumables tenfold.

You see, I don't have an issue with grinding stuff, I'll happily spend hundreds of hours (as I did in other games) and be content with it. I've done it in Wurm Online, Trove, Destiny 2 and many many other games before those, and I'll gladly do it again.
Not so much the case in PoE. Why? Because it's annoying, you never have a clear-cut goal in front, neither with crafting nor with trading. The crafting-aspect I can understand (while a fully deterministic system provided even with the ridiculous amounts of currency you'll need would be nice) but for trading? That's simply not an acceptable state.
GGG balance is like getting a pizza which is burnt on the sides, raw in the middle and misses the most of the toppings.
Then upon sending it back you get a raw side, burnt middle and enough toppings to drench everything in grease.
Everything fixed but still broken.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info