[3.9] Gryph's CI Vortex + Coldsnap Trickster || Uber Elder+Everything Else

Just attempted this build from scratch to simulate the league start. Feels great!

Beat Merciless lab BEFORE killing Kitava in Act 10. Sitting at right under 4k ES and still hybrid, everything feels very solid so far. Happened to find a Carcass Jack, and WHOA was impressed by how much ES that added with the ascendancy.

Never tried vortex OR Trickster, used to LOVE Occultist wicked ward, but I am extremely happy with how this turned out. Thank you for the build Gryph! My buddy and I will have a couple cool starters, he will be going with SRS Necro matched with this for me.

I feel like I could almost switch to CI now at just under 4k... but I think I will wait to see if I can boost it up a little more. I notice Chaos damage will chunk my life before I realize it lol and can make things sketchy if you are moving fast and zoned out!
Hey just a few questions regarding energy shield, since I didn't play with it much.

Basically you have a certain amount, and it regenerates after a certain time, when you don't get damaged.

With Wicked Ward, if the regeneration just started, it doesn't stop for some time, regardless of damage.

You can somewhat influence the time, when regeneration starts with some mods, that start reg faster?

The rate at which it regenerates is influenced by the maximum amount of ES you have? And nodes that say: increased energy shield recharge rate?

Zealot's Oath converts Life Reg to Energy Shield Reg, does that mean there is a constant ES-Reg just like Life-Reg or does that contribute to the recharge rate, that only recharges when you don't get hit? And is that noticable in this build, is Life-Reg a worthwile mod?

The Ghost Dance recovery of ES is instant I guess?

How does the leech work? You constantly get ES back from the damage you deal? Is that noticable?

I would appreciate some help with this, so that I better understand how that works and that I can plan which mods to take on items or on the passive tree.

Thank you.
"
Sisko1980 wrote:

You can somewhat influence the time, when regeneration starts with some mods, that start reg faster?

Yes the #% faster start of Energy Shield Recharge mods. Default is 2s, with 100% of that it goes to 1s and 0.5s with 200%

"
Sisko1980 wrote:

The rate at which it regenerates is influenced by the maximum amount of ES you have? And nodes that say: increased energy shield recharge rate?

Yes 20% per second By default, increased by #% increased Energy Shield Recharge Rate, with 40% at 100% of that

"
Sisko1980 wrote:

Zealot's Oath converts Life Reg to Energy Shield Reg, does that mean there is a constant ES-Reg just like Life-Reg or does that contribute to the recharge rate, that only recharges when you don't get hit? And is that noticable in this build, is Life-Reg a worthwile mod?

It's passive regen based on whatever % and flat life regen you have. It's absolutely not worth investing in flat life regen, and I'd say % based one even.

"
Sisko1980 wrote:

The Ghost Dance recovery of ES is instant I guess?

Yep

"
Sisko1980 wrote:

How does the leech work? You constantly get ES back from the damage you deal? Is that noticable?

It works same as life leach, I believe up to a maximum of 20% of your life per second

"
Sisko1980 wrote:

I would appreciate some help with this, so that I better understand how that works and that I can plan which mods to take on items or on the passive tree.

You should probably just follow the tree outlined in build. Once more, defo do not invest in life regen on items
So why not max dodge? Tree is not far from those notables and with elusive, don't you get like near 75% dodge?
What's the difference between Trickster and Ocultist variants?
"
So why not max dodge? Tree is not far from those notables and with elusive, don't you get like near 75% dodge?

Acrobatics reduces ES by 30%, which is a pretty big hit. Honestly with chance to evade around 50% and ~30% spell dodge from Trickster + Quartz flask + boot mod, plus the darting nature of the play style itself, getting hit is pretty rare as it is. The ability to soak up big hits when they do happen makes a huge difference. It's quite the survivable build.
"
victortkc wrote:
What's the difference between Trickster and Ocultist variants?

From the previous page:

"
"
ericlala wrote:
Decided to run Vortex + coldsnap occultist until i saw this guide. didn't realize trickster had DoT and energy shield ascendencies as well. It's probably been asked somewhere but how does the 2 classes compare?

Was going to say "there's a section in the guide about this"

I forgot that I removed that after Occultist got nerfed in 3.7...

But basically, Trickster has better defenses in the form of natural Evasion Scaling:

Ghost Dance Recovery to ES based on your Evasion, some Spell Dodge, and massive bonuses to Evasion and Energy Shield from your Helmet and Chest.

Really nice QoL comes from Patient Reaper for ES and Mana Recovery on kill (and recovery rate). This is especially good for mapping.

The gear is a bit cheaper usually (EV/ES chests aren't going to be as expensive as pure ES pieces).

That said Occultist gets easy access to Freeze Immunity in the ascendancy and Profane Bloom explosions, which is nice for mapping. Occultist can also go Low life more effectively with Shavs if you want to go that route.

TL:DR

I still think Trickster is the more well rounded of the two and a better bosser because of the extra layers of defense that we get. Must have freeze immune flask or "dream fragment" boots.

Occultist can get more damage cheaper via Shavs and running auras on life, but lacks a lot of the defenses and QoL that make trickster really feel good.
Occ has profane bloom boom booms. (Both classes can use Obliteration wands for this effect as well)
Last edited by Gryphenprey on Dec 10, 2019, 4:15:25 PM
Last edited by RareFN on Dec 11, 2019, 11:57:12 AM
thanks for the build my man!
can you update the POB link, I want to try this build out for league starter but I'm suck at POB so I hope you can help me out with a new passive tree for 3.9. Thanks again <3
What do you think of the new unique ring that allows casting vortex to cursor?

https://i.redd.it/hd7cwhoxk2441.jpg

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info