Please remove genderlocked classes in 4.0

"
KiwiGivl wrote:
I am fully against this idea.

To offer male and female options for each class goes against the essence and identity of each class. (see male scion LuL)

I honestly don't care about the game's lore but, essence and identity of each class? I fail to see how allowing people to create their own character and lore goes against this, in fact, roleplaying games in general started with your ability to make any character you wanted. They started restricting our choices in video games only for technical restraints, where it's unfeasible to program stories around each variable. You could also have the best of both worlds: having characters like in D&D with fixed backstories and looks while allowing players to make their own custom characters. PoE could easily keep the base character models and add a "custom" model without any affect on your lore- those that want to play a male scion would not be interfering on whatever lore you treasure.

"
KiwiGivl wrote:
Also, not everything in life needs to be equal. And in fact, having inequality gives a unique feeling to things, rather than everything feeling the same.

Wouldn't allowing players to customize their characters give more "unique feelings to things" as opposed to less? People have no problems with the lore of buying demon or angel wings and weird/goofy MTX cosmetics but why is there a problem with customizing our character's base looks/sex? Even with the base lore in the game, people still like making their own lore- they like matching armor sets and making a demon or paladin or whatever they want.

-I personally don't care what sex my character is, just seems like people are making ridiculous excuses because they like the game. I honestly don't understand how people can defend no character creation in an RPG but I guess that's just too much to ask for these days. Also, since when does suggesting customization in an RPG make people feminists/SJWs?
@Madix

If you don't care about the games lore, then tough imo. Some people, like me, do care about the world building and story telling. As a result, we want a good job to be done in it, not to be thrown into a sandbox to determine our own plots for the story.

Also, the characters we can play as are not ours. They have a back story that was told on the selection menu. From that point onward they are ours to do with what we want. This being said, the old background stories were changed in fall of oriath. I think this was a blunder. The game is losing its roots and will quickly wither away if GGG aren't careful.

As far as people making their own lore, VERY, VERY LITTLE fan fiction isn't complete and utter trash. Having a good cannon story is important.

Finally, no, more choice does not always mean there will be a more unique feeling. The ranger, for example, is a white female with short blonde hair and a white tank top with brown pants. This is unique because the witch (female, torn sown dress, brown long hair, pale, frail looking) cannot have these attributes and as a result will feel different.

This comes from the perspective of what is seen as unique. Should the witches be able to look the SAME as the rangers, or should all of the witches look the SAME as all of the other witches. I prefer class identity rather than character identity, again, because the classes are the ones with defining stories (ie witch stealing children and templar being a heretic to get exiled).
wow i hate this gender-fascism spreading more and more ...
How does giving people the option to make their own characters affect your lore? It doesn't hold up anyways because many of the cosmetics you can buy in the cash shop don't "fit" a lot of the backstories yet people still have no problem with it interfering with the lore. On top of all this, this is a multiplayer game. Does it really help the lore to see 700 of the same exact person running around?

Why is it so offensive to leave all the characters/classes as they are and add one "custom" option? How popular do you think a custom character model would be? -You'd be crazy to think it would be unpopular :/

-And yes, more choice means more experiences. Like I said, leave the "white female with short hair" as an option, how would adding additional options result in less unique experiences? Let people decide for themselves how unique of an experience they want to have. If people want to make "trash" lore that's up for them to decide, it doesn't affect you. If you want to play the same 7 characters for 10 years and think that's a more unique experience than having unlimited options then I don't see the logic. If someone wants to D&D the same premade characters that's their choice, it is certainly not more of a "unique" experience to have less options though.

Last edited by Madix on Mar 17, 2019, 5:11:40 PM
"
Madix wrote:
How does giving people the option to make their own characters affect your lore? It doesn't hold up anyways because many of the cosmetics you can buy in the cash shop don't "fit" a lot of the backstories yet people still have no problem with it interfering with the lore. On top of all this, this is a multiplayer game. Does it really help the lore to see 700 of the same exact person running around?

Yes, and how does giving people power creep effect my gameplay, I can just self nerf and play what I think is balanced right?... WRONG, the game needs to fundamentally be a full package, I shouldn't have to self correct or adjust to make up for what the game lacks. If I do, the game is faulty. Everyone should be able to try and min-max while also being able to feel like the game still exists, not just colorful explosions and loot.

Now, directly relating this to characters, background, and lore, if the story is lacking, I shouldn't have to make up the gaps myself. That is a fault with the game.

In theory, having new characters doesn't effect lore, but those characters must be unique and crafted for their own class and lore. There is a reason the marauder was chosen to be the marauder, because he is a big ole boy and can carry a big mace or a fat shield the easiest, therefore, it should be easiest for him to access those stats in game. Having a 70 girl as marauder would be dumb, and thus shouldn't even be an option. It is all about flavor.

As far as 700 of the same exact person running around, again, I prefer class identity rather than character identity, because the classes are the ones with defining stories.
I have recommended PoE to someone in the past. They came back saying that they would not play this genderlocked shit.

I can understand why this would put people off if they didn't know the game, even I personally uninstall some MMO or pseudo-MMO games if they're genderlocked, especially if they're F2P. It's usually the sign of a Korean or Chinese money grab. PoE being owned 80% by Tencent doesn't help either if someone looks the game up after seeing the genderlock.
If you care about gender of a character and "genderlock" in a video game, well... that's stupid.
"
LoRash wrote:
I have recommended PoE to someone in the past. They came back saying that they would not play this genderlocked shit.

I can understand why this would put people off if they didn't know the game, even I personally uninstall some MMO or pseudo-MMO games if they're genderlocked, especially if they're F2P. It's usually the sign of a Korean or Chinese money grab. PoE being owned 80% by Tencent doesn't help either if someone looks the game up after seeing the genderlock.

If someone is doing that much research on the game, they will know that Tencent only came to support the game after like 7 years.
"
KiwiGivl wrote:
"
Madix wrote:

Yes, and how does giving people power creep effect my gameplay, I can just self nerf and play what I think is balanced right?... WRONG, the game needs to fundamentally be a full package, I shouldn't have to self correct or adjust to make up for what the game lacks. If I do, the game is faulty. Everyone should be able to try and min-max while also being able to feel like the game still exists, not just colorful explosions and loot.

Now, directly relating this to characters, background, and lore, if the story is lacking, I shouldn't have to make up the gaps myself. That is a fault with the game.

In theory, having new characters doesn't effect lore, but those characters must be unique and crafted for their own class and lore. There is a reason the marauder was chosen to be the marauder, because he is a big ole boy and can carry a big mace or a fat shield the easiest, therefore, it should be easiest for him to access those stats in game. Having a 70 girl as marauder would be dumb, and thus shouldn't even be an option. It is all about flavor.

As far as 700 of the same exact person running around, again, I prefer class identity rather than character identity, because the classes are the ones with defining stories.

You're just pushing the goal posts every time with less and less logic to back you up. Again, you worry about lore so much but ignore or make excuses for things like the fact that the game sells microtransactions that vastly affect the immersion of the given lore. The point is: you need a crap ton of suspension of disbelief to be even remotely immersed in this game as it is. If having a female marauder breaks your immersion more than a dude running around with a floating golden baby MTX then there's really nothing else to argue about here.

"
MisterAL wrote:
If you care about gender of a character and "genderlock" in a video game, well... that's stupid.

Why do you care that people care? There's a lot of people that spend hours on character creation and it's a big selling point in games. If you care what color car you have, is that stupid too? What about the shirts or pants you wear? People like to make their own identity, how is that a stupid thing?
I would not in the slightest mind mtx for base models. They can even add whole new models this way if they want. Get some good money doing it too.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info