Melee Damage on Full Life

Can someone tell me the point of this gem when there is a gem that does the same thing but without any condition and for roughly the same cost ?
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Aug 25, 2012, 8:36:09 AM
"
zriL wrote:
Can someone tell me the point of this gem when there is a gem that does the same thing but without any condition and for roughly the same cost ?
so you can use both, and this one is earlier. similar to how there are two multiple projectile supports.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
zriL wrote:
so you can use both, and this one is earlier. similar to how there are two multiple projectile supports.

Lesser multiple projectile has a real use : less projectile for lower cost and lower damage penalty.

Here we have a gem which gives the same bonus for about he same cost but only under some conditions. It's not comparable. Besides, a gem that is useful only to support another support isn't well designed.

Earlier use isn't worth mentioning, in PoE every gem are supposed to be useful at endgame, it's intended that there are no low level skills that become obsolete.

edit : wOOt 1000th post :D
Last edited by zriL on Aug 26, 2012, 8:25:16 AM
well this support is only equal to the other when you use bows or have constant es. although kinda pointless to mention this at this point...
"
zriL wrote:
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
zriL wrote:

Lesser multiple projectile has a real use : less projectile for lower cost and lower damage penalty.

Here we have a gem which gives the same bonus for about he same cost but only under some conditions. It's not comparable.
It has a lower mana cost multiplier, and a much more powerful quality bonus, allowing it to provide a bigger increase in damage.
Thanks for the answer, I think the cost difference should be higher though. Melee physical damage support is really cheap for what it is.

I'd like point out something else. This support gem is named "melee damage on full life" but only physical damage is affected, as it is stated on the description. However, the other gem is named "melee physical damage". I think this might cause some confusion.

On a side note, I think it would be interested to make this support work for all melee damage, not only physical, so that there is a real difference between the two gems. Naturally, the gem would have to be nerfed.
Last edited by zriL on Aug 27, 2012, 8:16:54 AM
I suppose this could be used in combo with decoy totem - hit them in the back :)
not enough time for gaming!
This gem can be used to great effect if you start out as a Witch

1. Grab all increased area of effect passives
2. Grab all increased ES and mana passives
3. Move toward templar area of the tree, grabbing STR/DEX nodes and CI

The end result is tons of physical damage and tons of area of effect with a sufficient mana pool. You can also use uniques that give melee bonuses while on full life.

You could even do this build with ES/Life hybrid defensive focus, though it will be at the cost of energy shield, so you can potentially lose your melee damage bonus.

This support gem is best as a Witch, though you can get it as a Templar and move toward CI.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
The description for this gem is "30% more melee physical damage when on full life". I don't think those two words go together quite like that, =)
"when at" or just when maybe?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info