Point Blank

If you are going to make people with BOWS (no shields 1 armor/energyshield/evesion item missing) stand directly in front of a mob group you better give me something great for it, unfortunately this is not it.

bonus is not good enough for the danger of having to face tank mobs in merciless
Point Blank grants up to 50% More Damage; More is multiplicative. It's far, far stronger than 50% Increased Damage. I find it quite powerful, although I prefer the Keystone over the Support gem.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Point Blank grants up to 50% More Damage; More is multiplicative. It's far, far stronger than 50% Increased Damage. I find it quite powerful, although I prefer the Keystone over the Support gem.

oh, so it's more? does the keystone stack with the gemstone?
"
CertusAT wrote:
oh, so it's more? does the keystone stack with the gemstone?
no, they are same thing but different methods of obtaining.
"
CertusAT wrote:
bonus is not good enough for the danger of having to face tank mobs in merciless

You don't have to face-tank mobs. Firstly, you get the full 50% bonus up to about double melee range apparently, and that's without Faster Projectiles. Then there's a medium-distance zone where you won't get 50% more, but you're still dealing extra damage. It's more like how you use Ground Slam: you can't reach all the way across the screen and still get good damage, but you can definitely hit melee mobs without giving them a chance to strike back.

PB also benefits greatly from Chain and Fork at the moment due to how forked and chained projectiles are considered 'fresh', but this is something GGG doesn't like, so expect it to change in a future patch.
Last edited by Incompetent on Feb 15, 2013, 11:51:43 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:

Could you elaborate? I find Point blank to be better as support rather than keystone passive. Why mainly because I use my main attack for any distance kills and my secondary crowd control linked with pointblank to make minced meat out of monkeys and other 'in your face' mobs.
I am not tanky enough to face every mob in close quarters and some powerful gems like chain or fork already decreases damage substantially.
Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum - That's nature for you.
I don't have a separate long- and shortrange skill. I just kill everything with Ice Shot and be done with it :P
Ice Shot is linked to Weapon Elemental Damage and Pierce; fourth link is either Leech or Cold to Fire.
-When facing Cold resist mobs, Cold to Fire skews my damage towards Fire to circumvent their resistance. Otherwise, Leech is linked to provide more tankiness.
-The cone is pure Elemental damage. WED grants an absurd amount of multiplicative Elemental damage. No-brainer.
-Pierce doesn't turn your damage to complete shit and it still utterly ruins packs by vritue of massive inherent AoE and multihitting.
-Projectile Weakness jacks Pierce chance to 100%, and grants another multiplicative damage increase. The Knockback coupled with Ground Ice provides excellent defense against Bosses. The middling to slow bosses don't even get a chance to hit me most of the time.

The support gem would decrease my attack speed, take up a socket, and doesn't get me anything in return.
I am not getting any increase of decrease in damage from using this gem with ice arrow. Even when hitting enemies at edge of screen I seem to do full damage. All it does is reduce my attack speed.
thats because it depends on your distance to foe.
Does Faster Projectiles increase the range of the damage bonus? Seems like it would as it does for Freezing pulse which has a built in Point Blank effect.
IGN: Friar
Knight of Guild Medieval http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/545783
Game Mechanics http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707
Recipe Book http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15223
Quest Reward List http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36776

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info