Malevolence, Zealotry and Aura Changes

I'm really happy to see anger getting a buff, I'd like to see burning/ignite improved as well. I like the idea of the different elements having balanced damage overall. I'm really excites for the chaos spells. I love summoner builds and now I think I can finally get the feel of the necromancer I've been wanting to make with these chaos options being added. I'm also considering a holy based summoner playing as templar with as well.
I recently came back to Poe, not having played since back from launch to around corrupted being added. I have to say I'm really loving where the game is at and where it seems to be going. I can't wait to dive in to this new league!!!
If we are changing up auras can we do something about the way reduced mana reservation (as a stat) is so powerful in large amounts that all auras are nerfed hard to compensate
Le Toucan Will Return
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
nerfing hatred for melee too? why you hate melee GGG? why?

You realise that's not a nerf right? You people speak way too soon....

Hatred now increases ALL COLD DAMAGE, as well as physical to cold conversion. The former also affects the latter, hence the compensation. Otherwise it would be a massive buff to Hatred and it doesn't deserve that.

Sigh.

Lol it's certainly a nerf for non-full-conversion base-phys characters and if you took 0.5 seconds to do the math you would see why.

Let's say Hatred becomes 16% more cold damage (globally) and 20% phys added as cold at level 21, breaking up the two mods to sum to the 36% it is now.

For fully converted glacial cascade with no other "phys added as cold" builds, this is barely stronger than it was before: first you take the phys added as cold for 1.2x damage, then multiply by 1.16, and you get 1.392x damage. Cool, a small buff.

For a regular phys melee build, this becomes 1.2 * (1 + .2 * .16) = 1.2384, WAY less than the 36% more multiplier you were getting before.

Let's say that, hypothetically, they were trying to balance it so hatred was just as good for phys melee now as it was before.

There are several examples you could use, but it's easy to demonstrate why all of them are completely broken for anything that *does* convert.

Let's say the "phys added as cold" mod is only lowered a bit, to 30% from 36%. At that point, hatred already needs to also have "20% more cold damage" to be just as good for melee as it is now. Think about how insane that is for glacial cascade. For one second.

It becomes a 1.3 * 1.2 = 1.56% damage multiplier. From one aura. Crazy.

If you lower the "phys added as cold" even more, the global more multiplier has to be even higher to compensate. At that point, the aura becomes insane not just for GC but also for all cold spells. At 18% phys added as cold you need 100% more cold damage. Hahah, as if that'd ever make it live.

So in conclusion, if you don't see why this is neecessarily a nerf to unconverted base-physical melee, you're dumb! This is potentially a minor buff to glacial cascade, and definitely a nerf to melee.
Last edited by codetaku on Feb 20, 2019, 7:46:55 PM
"
Maethendias wrote:
"and a small bonus to skill effect duration"

does this work with srs?

Even if it does work, it's probably not worth it for 50% of your mana pool.
"
codetaku wrote:
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
nerfing hatred for melee too? why you hate melee GGG? why?

You realise that's not a nerf right? You people speak way too soon....

Hatred now increases ALL COLD DAMAGE, as well as physical to cold conversion. The former also affects the latter, hence the compensation. Otherwise it would be a massive buff to Hatred and it doesn't deserve that.

Sigh.

Lol it's certainly a nerf for non-full-conversion base-phys characters and if you took 0.5 seconds to do the math you would see why.

Let's say Hatred becomes 16% more cold damage (globally) and 20% phys added as cold at level 21, breaking up the two mods to sum to the 36% it is now.

For fully converted glacial cascade with no other "phys added as cold" builds, this is barely stronger than it was before: first you take the phys added as cold for 1.2x damage, then multiply by 1.16, and you get 1.392x damage. Cool, a small buff.

For a regular phys melee build, this becomes 1.2 * (1 + .2 * .16) = 1.2384, WAY less than the 36% more multiplier you were getting before.

Let's say that, hypothetically, they were trying to balance it so hatred was just as good for phys melee now as it was before.

There are several examples you could use, but it's easy to demonstrate why all of them are completely broken for anything that *does* convert.

Let's say the "phys added as cold" mod is only lowered a bit, to 30% from 36%. At that point, hatred already needs to also have "20% more cold damage" to be just as good for melee as it is now. Think about how insane that is for glacial cascade. For one second.

It becomes a 1.3 * 1.2 = 1.56% damage multiplier. From one aura. Crazy.

If you lower the "phys added as cold" even more, the global more multiplier has to be even higher to compensate. At that point, the aura becomes insane not just for GC but also for all cold spells. At 18% phys added as cold you need 100% more cold damage. Hahah, as if that'd ever make it live.

So in conclusion, if you don't see why this is neecessarily a nerf to unconverted base-physical melee, you're dumb! This is potentially a minor buff to glacial cascade, and definitely a nerf to melee.

Hatred was never a multiplier (had to point this out)

Btw also don't get the difference between applying the new hatred to a full phys base spell that get 100% conversion and applying it to full phys base melee that get 100% conversion?

I must be missing something here

EDIT: Ops, you specified non-full conversion. But that could apply to spells too (bv doesn't have threshold jews nor enchants to convert) and melee could be a pure flat cold stacking build.

Last edited by etkratos on Feb 20, 2019, 8:06:27 PM
...Are you seriously nerfing melee again, a day after saying you're not going to do anything with melee this patch? Really?

Yes, i agree that having a cold aura not grand any bonuses to genuine cold skills was silly, but why change it in a way that actively hurts most of the builds that were using the previous version? Which build that was using hatred previously benefits from this change, GC? Oh yeah, great job, it totally needed that.
Zealotry Flame Totem Inquisitor GO GO GO!
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
"
etkratos wrote:
Hatred was never a multiplier (had to point this out)

You're right that I was oversimplifying, but I was talking about a *functional* more multiplier on a pure physical base :P Still, fair nitpick, I suppose.

"
EDIT: Ops, you specified non-full conversion. But that could apply to spells too (bv doesn't have threshold jews nor enchants to convert)

Sure, it's a nerf to bv, bf, and EK (does anyone play ek anymore?) as well. But the thing that really can't handle the nerf is melee :P

And GC never needs more buffs!

"
and melee could be a pure flat cold stacking build.

Find me an even remotely playable one before I believe you....
Last edited by codetaku on Feb 20, 2019, 8:12:14 PM
Also, with the whole "holy" theme you've got going, it's nice to see your "holy" aura completely ignore all "holy" melee skills (including the one you're adding into the game with this very patch) and focus on spells primarily :D Great job guys it's like you didn't even try.

Ouch!

Looks like my planned Glacial Cascade Miner build for next league just took up to about a 20% hit to it's total damage.

May have to go back to arc mines now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info