Underutilized Skills: Defense

"
Legatus1982 wrote:

I'm not talking about vaal reave "melee" here, I'm talking about stuff like heavy strike, glacial hammer, viper strike, dual strike etc.

good! we're talking about the same type of gems then

"
Legatus1982 wrote:
Lack of effectiveness of evasion-based defenses is another problem. You can build mega-tanks using armor, you can build mega-tanks using ES, but I've never seen a mega-tank using evasion.

Since the topic didn't come up yet it's good you pointed evasion out!

Although OP has concerns about armour i myself think armour is great. For example i love energized armour and the Melding wheel and uh... aaanyway, evasion is were the biggest problem lies. And i won't make the mistake of underestimating evasion nowadays, it's great in it's own right, but it feels unrewarding i guess.

Stacking tens of thousands of points in evasion and still only be protected against the big mass of weak enemies is disheartening when ten seconds later still getting oneshot by a lucky crit of a physical boss :/

That's why i proposed my idea for a change in blocking in the first place.
Give it a read if you want.
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
Well I'm just going to say I've been attempting to do evasion-based melee builds for years and they are always trash.
[...]
Lack of effectiveness of evasion-based defenses is another problem.

I literally told you already twice that the #1 SSF HC melee character in Betrayal at the moment is using Acro + Phase Acro.

Out of the 3 lvl 100 in Betrayal HC melee that can be seen on poe ninja, 2 are using ES, and the other one is using .... Acro + phase Acro.

Now, if you think that you know better than them that evasion based mechanics are shit, feel free to teach them ....

"
Scherge wrote:
Stacking tens of thousands of points in evasion and still only be protected against the big mass of weak enemies is disheartening when ten seconds later still getting oneshot by a lucky crit of a physical boss :/

This is why many consider defenses as sh*t in PoE, because those "many" haven't understood that only stacking one single defense mechanism is not going to allow you to facetank the whole game, and that is not how you build a tanky character.
Plus, if you have several tens of thousands of evasion .... you get pretty much never crit by attacks ( not that it's impossible )
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jan 16, 2019, 11:17:27 PM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Scherge wrote:

This is why many consider defenses as sh*t in PoE, because those "many" haven't understood that only stacking one single defense mechanism is not going to allow you to facetank the whole game, and that is not how you build a tanky character.
Plus, if you have several tens of thousands of evasion .... you get pretty much never crit by attacks ( not that it's impossible )

As i said i know that by now. Evasion is dope and since i learned more about it i'm hesitant to pick iron reflexes or unwavering stance. When combined with the others, that is.

Still, for as good as ES is, i hate it. I thought it was nice when i started playing but as soon as i realized that it's glorified life that adds even more requirements to your gear i completely lost interest.

... and i'm tired of having to roll hundereds of chroms on each and every pair of gloves to not end up with too many red slots because i have to milk my gear for that bit of extra armour.

Acro/phase acro is super nice but it gives you penalties on every other type of defense and like evasion it's also just reducing the amount of damage taken overall, not from single hits that happen to still find their way through RNG.

What i'd like to see is an additional OPTIONAL layer that every class can access... that is not "damage taken as" or MoM
I guess enfeeble will do for now.
Last edited by Scherge on Jan 16, 2019, 11:33:02 PM
"
Scherge wrote:

... and i'm tired of having to roll hundereds of chroms on each and every pair of gloves to not end up with too many red slots because i have to milk my gear for that bit of extra armour.

For low socket pieces of armour with high stat requirements, just use the Vorici socket recipes ( get the 2 first sockets with chromes, then go back and forth between 2 and 3 sockets with the bench, until the 3rd socket that spawns has the colour you want ).
You can do the same for the fourth socket, or use is only for the fourth socket if you want to blow 125 chromes on the 3 first sockets.

"
Scherge wrote:
What i'd like to see is an additional OPTIONAL layer that every class can access... that is not "damage taken as" or MoM

What is wrong with those ones ?
You can get those phys->ele on rare chest or helmet now.

You can also use a basalt flask if you have really no armour or are using Acro.
You can use endurance charges on every class, 3 endurance charges is already not bad and you are often not too far from at least one extra charge.
4 EC + one 10% helmet convertion + a basalt and you're already pretty solid if you couple that with Acro and evasion for example.
This + fortify for melees of course, at least on a movement skill.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jan 16, 2019, 11:44:30 PM
Evasion and dodge are working just fine.

Once you have enough life (around 5.5k, preferably 6k+) and solid recovery (basic leech will do), you are at full HP all the time. You get hit, you recover.
I'm just waltzing through maps, I get hit often enough, but those "mysterious oneshoots" that people bring up all the time just never appear.

Basically everything that murders my 6k life assassin would have killed my 6k Jugg as well. What Jugg has going for him is high passive recovery and solid mitigation, so of course he can afk in the middle of useless monsters. But my assassin just kills them before they get an attack animation off, and "being able to afk" isn't really something I consider useful. It qualifies as "overkill" when you can just press one button and don't need to tank them anymore.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Jan 17, 2019, 12:29:51 AM
Well it looks like people just don't think that Armour is useful.

You could say that isn't that people don't know about layering defences, but 'Cloth and Chain' is three different defences, and apparently still not interesting.
Leave alone Cloth and Chain. It is perfectly fit it's place. You will rearly see some nodes in top ladder characters because they respec them in later levels (not to mention they have extremely powerful items). You don't have enough experience to judge about skill tree, and really there is no need to do it. I can tell about 20% of nodes never used at all in any builds and work purely as noob-trap. And they've been there for ages. You can't do anything about it because obviously it is intended by developers.
Wasn't expecting to wake up and find so many responses.

I think the defense nodes and melee (especially on the left side of the tree) are inherently tied. Defenses will always be more important for builds that need to get up close and personal and have less mobility between attacks.

Regarding some nodes being noob traps - why have them at all then? Outside of fake freedom, why intend to make some nodes bad and trap new players into them?

As a side note, I doubt people pick up Soul of Steel or Indomitable and repsec them later. Cloth and Chain I can understand being used that way.

There was mention of Acro and Phase Acro. One of the reasons people pick it up (outside of the good amount of Dodge) is that it doesn't remove all other defensive layers entirely. You can easily run Dual Wield and still pick up Acro skills as the reduction to block is not significant enough.

Also, Acrobatics is the 2nd most popular defensive keystone in HC leagues (MoM taking first place). MoM could also be first due to the high amount of Witches/Saboteurs right now.
Last edited by Avathacis on Jan 17, 2019, 7:49:18 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
Well I'm just going to say I've been attempting to do evasion-based melee builds for years and they are always trash.
[...]
Lack of effectiveness of evasion-based defenses is another problem.

I literally told you already twice that the #1 SSF HC melee character in Betrayal at the moment is using Acro + Phase Acro.

Out of the 3 lvl 100 in Betrayal HC melee that can be seen on poe ninja, 2 are using ES, and the other one is using .... Acro + phase Acro.

Now, if you think that you know better than them that evasion based mechanics are shit, feel free to teach them ....

Getting a less effective build to high levels doesn't change the mechanics' relative effectiveness. Saboteur in particular is very strong but you can't really do anything else with saboteur other than traps or mines, and it still won't ever tank as well as a jugg. Let alone a non-traps build.

If you want to show it can be done, you need to simply make an apples to apples comparison of a tank jugg and any ev tank and compare their effectiveness at surviving damage.

The jugg will win and I'm pretty sure you know that.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Jan 17, 2019, 8:30:34 AM
"
Avathacis wrote:
I'm a guy that spends much more time in Path of Building and Poe.ninja than in the game itself (and I have around 400 hours in-game most likely).

As a side project between work and other activities, I'd like to offer some feedback on the Passive tree (and if things work out well, the active skills and Ascendancies later on). In this part, let's talk about Defensive nodes.

My premise is that Passive nodes can be balanced around Hardcore leagues (more so the Defensive ones) as if a Defensive node is good enough in HC, it will be used in SC as well with, most likely, slightly less frequency.

Regarding suggested changes, I hope to preserve the identity of the Notables.

Defensive nodes include Life, Energy Shield, Resistances, Armour, Evasion Rating, Endurance Charges.

I'll skip through Life, ES and Endurance Charges as the first two are more or less premium passive nodes for their respective builds and Endurance Charges are utilized by builds that can generate them.

Indomitable: "You take 20% Reduced Extra damage from Critical Strike. 30% Increased armour."

Spoiler
I've looked over the top 10 Juggernauts, Guardians and Champions on Poe.ninja in BHC and BHC SSF. No players in BHC use Indomitable and 4 players (TitaniusAnglesmith, GoldenSun, RavenousBugblatterBeast and TemplarChan) use it in BHC SSF.

Out of all the builds I've seen on the web (Mathil1, c9q9md, Engineering Eternity and a lot of builds on the forums/Poebuilds.cc), none suggest picking up Indomitable. Even Engineering Eternity's Thicc Jugg MK II (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIjaSp6Ja8Q) skips this node.

There are several reasons why Indomitable isn't utilized frequently. Let's focus only on the Reduced Crit Damage as clearly the Notable is intended for that use:

1) Inefficiency. Indomitable leads "nowhere". Many passive nodes that are weaker but picked up usually lead towards stronger other nodes (e.g. Warrior's Blood). Even these weaker nodes usually grant significant benefits.

2) Mechanics. Indomitable actually reduces the damage taken from a critical strike by 6% or 4.6% of the total damage taken (according to the wiki) due to the natural Critical Strike Multiplier on most monsters.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find info on the base Critical Chance of monsters so I will take 5% as a base. Generally, the Crit chance will be too low to make use of Indomitable effectively.

3) Items and stacking. Indomitable is outclassed by a very popular Unique belt used by a lot of melee classes in the early to late stages of the game - Belt of the Deceiver. Deceiver grants more Reduced Extra damage from Critical Strike and has great stats until end-game crafting becomes available.

It is unlikely that they stack additively with each other which would mean Indomitable is even less useful when paired with a Deceiver.

As a side note, Brass Dome (0.1% to 0.2% characters wear it across leagues) renders Indomitable moot.

Suggested change: Change "You take 20% Reduced Extra damage from Critical Strike." to "Enemy Critical Strike Multiplier reduced by 20%."

It is unlikely that this one change would make this node viable but could be the step in the right direction.

Soul of Steel: "30% increased Armour. 4% additional Physical Damage Reduction. 5% to all Elemental Resistances."

Spoiler
Out of the same pack of Ascendancies on BHC and BHC SSF only one player uses this node - ManaDeathTotems.

Out of the streamer and build packs, no one suggests using this node.

Issues:

1) Inefficiency. We run into the same problem as with Indomitable. A node that isn't particularly strong and leads nowhere.

2) Surrounding nodes. As a corollary to Inefficiency, Soul of Steel is surrounded by many premium nodes (both to the sides of Juggernaut and Duelist) and is right next to Bloodless which can be used for a more efficient path to Juggernaut nodes.

3) Elemental resistances and gearing. Armour and Ele resistances can be maximized purely through gear, making nodes that grant either slightly less efficient. Soul of Steel is also nearby to Diamond Skin and somewhat close to Sentinel both of which grant better benefits and lead to better other nodes.

Suggested change: "30% increased Armour. 5% additional Physical Damage Reduction. 5% Reduced Elemental Damage taken."

A change in this direction would make Soul of Steel more unique, preserve its identity and help with defence stacking. Basically, Soul of Steel would be a slightly better free Endurance charge.

Cloth and Chain: "24% increased Evasion Rating and Armour. +12% to all Elemental Resistances"
Spoiler

Found 4 players using it in Betrayal HC out of top 10 Juggernauts, Gladiators, Slayers, Pathfinders, Raiders and Deadeyes - LeToxicFucker, Toaster_HuntingShekels, FishBetrayal, Lalagate_OOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Found 4 players using it in BHC SSF - Laminarija_Dareso, УважаемыйКлив, Bleed_You_Dry, ViciousDust, NoFortifyNoLife. Laminarija_Rip is also using it but it is the same account as Laminarija_Dareso.

Can't recall many builds using this node from Mathil1 or others.

Issues:

1) Bland. While not much of a reason to skip a Passive just because it's bland could be a factor to look into game design-wise.

2) Location. Cloth and Chain is surrounded by many other good nodes (Golem's Blood, Jewel Socket, Savagery, Vigour) all of which lead to the same path.

3) Strength. Cloth and Chain is the strongest of its kind (unless I'm missing a node) but clearly, the strength isn't good enough on its own.

Null:

4) Mixed stats. Unsure about this but mixed stats might be an issue or it might not.

Suggested changes:

A bit stumped on this one. Maintaining the identity and relative strength is difficult. Likely, Cloth and Chain just needs a rework either by moving its location or changing what it does entirely.

According to my character stats at least, belt of deceiver stacks with indomitable.

I really don't see how anyone can suggest indomitable is a worthless passive. It's quite good in my opinion.
Last edited by Berylstone on Jan 17, 2019, 10:54:56 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info