[3.6] The Frost Queen Occultist Frostbolt/Vortex|CI|SSF/LeagueStarter Friendly

Hello Exiles, Im Snow. With the Occultist Ascendancy being as strong as ever, I believe it to be one of the best classes to play in Synthesis. In this guide I'm going to give in-depth explanation and reasoning for different decisions in this build, along with some suggestions that you could use in your own build. Good Luck Exile and I'll see you in Synthesis.

Firstly, here is your POB link (Updated 3.6 Starter) https://pastebin.com/PSHDHa7G

Kill Videos:
Shaper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFMiOZO8cro
Red Tier Elder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UMI2Xc9hKI

More links to come as I do the encounters!

Updates
3.7.19 Updated PoB with a pre-launch skill/gear/tree configuration. This isn't final as I will have a first look at gems and uniques on Saturday. This is however enough to get you started.

3.7.19 Updated Title to reflect change from MoM to CI. Updated intro paragraph.

3.7.19 Added Pre-Launch Synthesis Notes

3.7.19 Updated Gearing Section and Pro/Con Section

3.7.19 Added Theory Craft Section

Now why are we running frost bolt with our vortex when no one else is? Because it's FUN! And although frostbolt cannot hit the same target twice, and vortex dots do not stack, the initial damage of vortex DOES. So if your target is standing next to a wall, you get this KB effect which makes this build excel especially in indoor maps/delve.

Lets go over the pro's and con's of the build

Pros
Damage is great
Gameplay doesn't get stale, we use 4 skills
Top Tier survivability and defenses (we will go over these soon)
Fast mapper
VERY cheap, no uniques required, however I use a couple in this build
SSF/HC/League start friendly, again no uniques required
Great scaling with the new 'Cold DOT Multi' affix
Vortex is instant cast!

Cons
Can feel difficult or clunky to players used to playing '1-skill-wonder' builds
Good portion of damage is on the back-end rather than front-loaded.
Extremely tight on gem sockets, no room for herald/golem

Defenses
We utilize many defenses here making us very difficult to kill.
9k+ ES
Stibnite/Blind
Block (if using shield)
Enfeeble
Malediction
Fortify (if using whirling/shield charge)
Immortal Call (the usual)
Great ES Leech from the new Synthesis Passives

Ascendancy_Priority
Void Beacon → Frigid Wake → Profane Bloom → Malediction
(If you feel your ES is too low, Swap into the ES node for Malediction.)

Bandits
We kill all for the extra points

Gear
Stat priority on rares:
Cold DOT Multi
ES
Resists
Increased Spell/Ele/Cold Dmg
Increased Dot/Area Dmg
Critical Chance

Helmet
We just want a rare here with the vortex dmg enchantment. Ideally you're going to want to craft one with the +30% more ele dmg on socketed gems, in addition to the +1 AOE gems master crafted mod. When you get this, this is where your vaal cold snap will go.
Gem Link: Vaal Cold Snap, Efficacy, Controlled Destruction, Concentrated Effect

Rime Gaze is an excellent option here as well, if you can sacrifice the resists.

Chest
A rare Vaal Regalia with at least 700ES and some resists. If you find that you have more than enough ES, a Carcass Jack could be a good option.
Gem Link: Vortex, Concentrated Effect, Controlled Destruction, Bonechill, Hypothermia, Efficacy

Boots
Standard run of the mill rare boots with ES, Res, Movespeed.
Gem Link: Blasphemy, Enlighten, Frostbite, Enfeeble

No suggested uniques.

Gloves
Standard set of fingerless silk gloves with ES, Res, and if needed the +1 AOE affix if it is not on your helmet, you would socket cold snap in here, if not then use the current link.
Gem Link: Frostbolt, Faster Casting, Arcane Surge, GMP (if cast speed is high enough, run Increased Critical Strikes to proc Ele Overload more often.)

No suggested uniques.

Main_Hand
Either a rare wand or dagger here, entirely depending on if you need the crit for EO. We're going to be looking for the Cold DOT Multiplier affix on this slot.
Gem Link: Flame Dash, Faster Casting, Golem (If you don't want a golem, can run portal)
Gem Link: Whirling/Shield Charge, Faster Attacks, Fortify (No room for utility)

Divinarius is a nice dagger to use in early mapping until you find something better.

Off_Hand
A rare shield here with high defenses, spell dmg, and resists. Recommending shield here because of the new nodes in Synthesis.
Gem Link: Immortal Call, Cast When Dmg Taken, Increased Duration

No suggested uniques.

Belt
A nice rare Stygian Vise with ES, Res, any increases in dmg. Jewel needs to have ES.

No suggested uniques.

Amulet
Although a nice rare with ES, Res, spell/cold dmg, and crit would be absolutely fine, I can make a couple of suggestions as far as uniques go.

I use the cold Impresence for the free frostbite.

One other unique we could run is The Pandemonius, untested however, but the blind and cold pen looks good if you can afford to give up the life and resist. Also very pricy.

Main_Hand_Ring
Mark of the Shaper is our best option because of the high spell dmg, and ES it provides. If it's unavailable to you due to cost or SSF, then a nice opal ring with ES, Res, spell/ele dmg is just fine.

Off_Hand_Ring
If you are using a Mark of the Shaper, you must have an elder ring in this slot. Look for ES, Cold/Spell, and Resists on either a Diamond Ring or an Opal Ring (if you can afford a base)

Jewels
I like to run 1 Frozen Trail just for added projectile speed it gives, the others are entirely flexible depending on what we are needing however making sure that they have ES.

Flasks
Standard Flask Setup

I like to run the Witchfire Brew here because we will be running a stibnite anyways, and we are immune to chill/freeze due to our ascendancy, so we do not need that on a flask.

Skill_Tree

Leveling
I would suggest leveling with Arc or Freezing pulse at least until level 30-40. Mana will be too difficult to manage the combo early on.

We will be killing all bandits, we need the skill points.

Current_Gear

Final Thoughts:
Have been playing Path for a very long time and I must say, this build has been the most enjoyable to play. As this is my first ever build guide, any comments or suggestions to the guide are greatly appreciated and welcomed. Please be on the look-out for my other builds soon to come! Thanks.

Pre-Launch_Synthesis_Notes

Changes that could influence my build

Zealotry Skill gem (aura)
20%Aoe
39%Spell Crit
15%More Spell

Intesify
54%Aoe
10%Inc Area Dmg

Slight Cold Snap Nerf (negligable)
Significant Frostbolt Buff (29%)
Slight Vortex Nerf (negligable)

Swapping build due to superior leech onto es
Dropping Warlord Ring

Other_Suggestions/Theory_Craft
With the way offensive curses are applied in Synthesis, they are much stronger. May be worth it to pick up the extra curse node and get ele weak on hit on the glove slot. Could be a massive dmg increase.
After running some numbers, the amount of leech gained onto the ES, 9k ES may be un-necessary. May drop some ES for more dmg/utility nodes.

Last edited by Im_Snow on Mar 8, 2019, 1:39:33 PM
Last bumped on Jul 2, 2019, 2:08:10 PM
Will be making an edit soon as I've theory crafted a possible way to get major damage out of this build.
thanks for the build
Have attempted uber elder with this build, and with the current gear, it isnt do-able. Damage isnt there yet.
Thanks! Gonna try this one out as a SSF HC leaguestarter next league.
Hello! Seems like an amazing build! I'm thinking about using this as my starter in Synthesis! It looks very fun and interesting and I'm getting very hyped! Is there any changes that affects us that we should consider? What should I think about when starting with this build? Do you have any general tips? Will you update the guide with potential Synthesis changes?

Looking forward to play your build,
//PotionBlade3363

EDIT:
Also, with the new ES leech stuff wouldn't going MoM and EB being viable as defense? Or would you still recommend going the current defense route? I heard something like getting 2k ES and reserving all the mana and with the ES leech you should be fine. I'm not really good at this stuff though so I don't know. I just thought I should mention it as it may be possible that it saves some skill points that we can use elsewhere. I don't even know if ES leech works with our skills hehe.
Last edited by PotionBlade3363 on Mar 6, 2019, 12:13:35 PM
Hi, tnx for build! Its look very good and interesting. I just look for a good starter leage build and found ur build, but before i found vortex build too like this (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2290313) and i dont understand how u use projectiles and create vortex? Its awesome! Its watching more interesting like a just create vortex beside char. And that build (i link before) looks preety tanky like ur (11k ES) but u write in pros this build have evasion, dodge and something to survival, so whats batter that build (i link before) or ur build and why. Can u example to me these things? Ty for build again!

P.S. Sry for my english;(
@dimonqa
The way that the vortex/frostbolt interaction works is you just send out the frostbolts and then hit your vortex button, when those frostbolts collide with an enemy a few things happen.
1. The frostbolt damage is dealt
2. The initial vortex damage is dealt
3. The vortex AOE is left under their feet for the dot dmg.

As far as why i think life is better, is because you have to invest alot into ES on gear and tree, leaving you no room for any other kind of mitigation. This leaves you vulnerable to getting hit. Alot. With life, you have acrobatics to give you 30% dodge, and another 50% evade, plus the block chance off the shield.
@PotionBlade3363
I will be taking a look at the synthesis manifesto this evening and any changes regarding the build guide will be posted in the updates section of the guide itself.
As far as general tips and things to condsider, once you get the skill rotation down it really feels clean and exciting to map with. Leveling can be a hassle until you get some mana in the pool, which is why I like to take MoM first for that extra boost. I would say however that until you get your profane bloom ascendancy, run a herald of ice while leveling for that boost to clearspeed. I too will be league starting this again and will be posting my "first look" on saturday most likely. This will give a much clearer image on what needs to be done to the build.
It is also my goal to make this build kill uber elder, no matter the investment or change this league.
"
Im_Snow wrote:
@dimonqa
The way that the vortex/frostbolt interaction works is you just send out the frostbolts and then hit your vortex button, when those frostbolts collide with an enemy a few things happen.
1. The frostbolt damage is dealt
2. The initial vortex damage is dealt
3. The vortex AOE is left under their feet for the dot dmg.

As far as why i think life is better, is because you have to invest alot into ES on gear and tree, leaving you no room for any other kind of mitigation. This leaves you vulnerable to getting hit. Alot. With life, you have acrobatics to give you 30% dodge, and another 50% evade, plus the block chance off the shield.

Very thanks to answear! Going to try that mechanic with vortex/frostbolt, and ty for explanations about survival with life! I gonna start new leage with ur build. Thank you!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info