Elemental Proliferation

It might seem to imply that to you, but it doesn't. The sentence describes on-Hit effects, not things that are considered Hits. Otherwise, Knockback would count as a hit, which can then trigger Chance to Knockback, which if succesful causes Knockback, which is a hit...
Last edited by Vipermagi on Oct 3, 2013, 5:30:51 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
It might seem to imply that to you, but it doesn't. The sentence describes on-Hit effects, not things that are considered Hits. Otherwise, Knockback would count as a hit, which can then trigger Chance to Knockback, which if succesful causes Knockback, which is a hit...

Vipermagi, when I capitalized the word "APART", I thought I was pretty clear that I was talking about status effects, elemental and otherwise that could occur in a way which was not-coincident with damage. I am well aware of what the word effects means and you did not need to infer that I and several other people who have read the blurb that I quoted did not.

The fact is that the purpose of the blurb:

"
The term Hit refers to skills which hit opponents and trigger on-hit effects. Apart from damage, on-hit effects include inflicting status ailments, gaining charges, stunning or knocking back enemies, gaining life or mana, and skill-specific effects like Infernal Blow's explosion.

was to define a hit. You have to admit, if the effects of a hit are just effects, the explanation of on-hit effects for the purpose of describing what a hit is, is at best, extraneous.

The example you specifically referred to was a knockback. Now to the best of my knowledge, a knockback can only occur on something where the opponent is already being damaged. What I alluded to, was since the very blurb which defines a hit describes effects (yes, I realize what an effect is) of a hit APART from damage, was that if any of those effects occurred apart from damage, the act of making those effects occur would count as hit themselves.

Yes, I do know what an effect is. But if all that a hit actually is an attack or spell (or something else which is neither of the two like a bear trap) that damages the opponent, then the point about effects, while perhaps beneficial if mentioned elsewhere under effects of hits, is misleading in this case.

Now, if you wanted to, you could come back to me and tell me that the word AND describes the mathematical union of two separate things and does not mean skills that hits opponents OR inflicts status elements, but I have talked to several people who play endgame.

After they read this blurb, they became convinced that elemental proliferation could be used to increase the number of hits that an attack makes because it allows status effects to be inflicted apart from damage. In fact, some have said to me that they can't believe that they missed that before.
Last edited by Zindax on Oct 7, 2013, 2:12:47 AM
"
Zindax wrote:
According to the wiki:

"
The term Hit refers to skills which hit opponents and trigger on-hit effects. Apart from damage, on-hit effects include inflicting status ailments, gaining charges, stunning or knocking back enemies, gaining life or mana, and skill-specific effects like Infernal Blow's explosion.

I find the wording "apart from damage" to be pretty strange. It seems to imply that a hit can be registered simply by spreading status ailments via elemental proliferation, even if no damage is done.
It is saying that those things can be caused by hits. That does not mean, that said things can only be caused by hits. Note that it includes "gaining life and mana" - Using a flask can cause you to gain life or mana, but is certainly not hitting anything.

Elemental status ailments can be (and often are) applied by hits. They can also be applied in other ways.

This is, of course, largely academic since what the wiki says has no bearing on anything. It is not an official resource and it's often wrong, particularly on fine details, so reading into what it seems to imply, when it doesn't explicitly say such, is likely to lead you astray.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Oct 7, 2013, 3:44:27 AM
Also, if you have Ancestral Bond and use Viper Strike you get the on-hit effect of viper strike without dealing damage. Just FYI.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Do increased AOE affects increase the proliferation radius? I read that it didn't quite awhile back but that it was going to be changed eventually and was wondering if it is how.

EDIT: Was able to test in game, seems to be working.
@Moylin (Beyond)
Last edited by Avelice on Oct 27, 2013, 12:06:48 AM
Does this skill benefit from the 'Blast Radius' and 'Amplify' passives Area Damage increase?
"
Bengan wrote:
Does this skill benefit from the 'Blast Radius' and 'Amplify' passives Area Damage increase?
size changes yes, damage no as burning is a DoT not a hit.
This skill is particularly nice for Cold Snap; if you combine it with Frostbite and Added Cold Damage, the freeze/chill chance and duration are very high on the intended target, even bosses, and the effect spreads to targets in a very wide radius (wider than the radius of the damage, I've noticed).

Plus whenever I use it I tend to mumble "FRAG OUT."
Edited

Aimed to Mark:

I am toying with EP and trying to identify certain mechanics, in conjunction with posts in this thread.

I understand now that once a target is shocked, if if dies, the EP will act as an aura and spread to targets within the proximity.

If status ailment spreads from the shocked source to a new target, does that new target then become a new "host" to spread the ailment to other targets within it's proximity?

edited for above answer
Spoiler
I believe this answers my above question
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The spread is not (And is not intended to be) a one-time thing. Other entities only have the ailment while the original one is spreading it. If it's removed, it's not spreading anything, so nothing can be affected by it.

More general question regarding status ailment: If I crit a target with lightning damage hard enough to inflict the ailment, is the shock ailment taken into effect on that particular hit? Meaning, for that hit that causes the shock, do I do [Damage] or do I do 1.3 x [Damage]?

Edited: follow up question: If I shock stack a target, then I shock stack the target a second time. Enemy comes in range for EP. EP spreads the shock stacks (both of them). Does that second monster have 2 shock stacks for the same length of time? In other words, when I apply a second or third shock stack, is the total shock timer reset, or will the first stack fall off before the second and third.

Thank you
Last edited by Illsonmedia on Nov 23, 2013, 10:27:39 AM
"If status ailment spreads from the shocked source to a new target, does that new target then become a new "host" to spread the ailment to other targets within it's proximity?"
No. Entities under an Aura's effect do not emit the Aura themselves (EP works the same as an Aura, but just isn't classified as such).
It would infinitely chain back and forth between two living targets.

Shock applies only to subsequent hits.

Shock stacks have individual timers. If an enemy walks in range of a "Shock Aura" that only lasts for another 0.5 seconds, that enemy will be Shocked for 0.5 seconds. After that time, the "Shock Aura" ends and all affected targets lose that Shock stack.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info