At my wit's end with Syndicate one-shots

I know that Mrs Death, and forum white knights that make it their life's work to defend anything and everything that GGG does will come in and just say I am a noob, and dont know how to play, or that THE ONE SHOTS ARE PART OF THE FUN!

But, I believe that it is important for player's to give their feedback, even if it wont be well received.

Leveling, and through white and yellow maps, I would have called the Syndicate members "challenging" but manageable. I had about a dozen deaths before I got to red maps. I am at 29 now. It it isnt that I mind a death here or there. I mind unavoidable one shots, and utter cluster f***s of screen eye cancer where you cant see a damn thing that is happening.

I had my complaints with this league from the get-go, but I am finding it "literally unplayable" now that I am in T11 and T12s.

My thoughts on Monday were: I hate this league, but I love the crafting mods, I will stick it out till I have all the veiled ones, and then just go have a league in standard.

Now, I dont even know if I can do that. This isnt fun.

So come at me, Mrs Death, at GGG Trumpeters! I love this game as much as you, I was stoked as hell for this league. After the last two, I was positive that GGG was going to deliver an amazing experience that would grip me and keep me wanting to come back for more and more... and instead, I am frustrated and hating every moment. The ONLY thing they got right in 3.5 was crafting.

Edit:

I had an dreadful realization today.

If they never nerf syndicate members, my path of exile days may very well be over. This WILL go core. They have already said as much with Jun becoming a master after the league.

I cant have this ultra rippiness permanently. No.F***ing.Way.

If the members get nerfed; fine. I will just deal with having a mechanic I am not crazy about. I can avoid it worst case scenario. But these synidcate members are more dangerous than guardians, or shaper.
Last edited by Deliverme on Dec 14, 2018, 7:53:29 AM
Last bumped on Jan 19, 2019, 1:32:37 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I'm right there with you, this league isn't fun at all, and it's entirely because of the shitty balance and eye cancer.

I don't like taking deaths much, but when I do I can usually either just laugh about them or look at them a few minutes later after the immediate frustration ends and say 'that was ultimately my fault'.

This league, I can't do either. There's nothing fun about the way the syndicate members kill you, i can't just laugh and say 'well, i screwed that one up', cuz... that would imply i could have ever done anything.

Most of these fights are blinding with excess particles and endless mobs and there's plenty of shit that offscreens you all the while... so many hits come from where you can't see and can't really do anything about it but run around and hope. And to make it worse the syndicate's damage is so unforgivingly high that 2 consecutive hits is pretty much death (if you're lucky enough to survive the first).

A couple days ago Haku in act 10 hit me for over 2.5k vs capped res just with his little untelegraphed shotgunning mortar-toss (not even the giant telegraphed hits, they actually did less damage than that).

Janus has gotten me several times from offscreen (and even though walls) with his bullshit spikes that kill in 2 hits in under half a second, despite the fact that I intentionally keep him at no rank and no items. And sure, it's "telegraphed"... if you can actually see him. But you can't, cuz he doesn't mind sitting offscreen and even if he's onscreen there's so much other garbage in the way that his own movements are way too hard to distinguish.

So yeah, you'll get no white-knighting from me. Despite how great the rest of 3.5 is, they did a completely trash job of designing and balancing Betrayal encounters, and it feels like they released it without even testing it a single time, cuz anyone with even the slightest experience would've caught how bad these fights feel.
Last edited by Shppy on Dec 13, 2018, 8:05:45 PM
"
Shppy wrote:
I'm right there with you, this league isn't fun at all, and it's entirely because of the shitty balance and eye cancer.

I don't like taking deaths much, but when I do I can usually either just laugh about them or look at them a few minutes later after the immediate frustration ends and say 'that was ultimately my fault'.

This league, I can't do either. There's nothing fun about the way the syndicate members kill you, i can't just laugh and say 'well, i screwed that one up', cuz... that would imply i could have ever done anything.

Most of these fights are blinding with excess particles and endless mobs and there's plenty of shit that offscreens you all the while... so many hits come from where you can't see and can't really do anything about it but run around and hope. And to make it worse the syndicate's damage is so unforgivingly high that 2 consecutive hits is pretty much death (if you're lucky enough to survive the first).

A couple days ago Haku in act 10 hit me for over 2.5k vs capped res just with his little untelegraphed shotgunning mortar-toss (not even the giant telegraphed hits, they actually did less damage than that).

Janus has gotten me several times from offscreen (and even though walls) with his bullshit spikes that kill in 2 hits in under half a second, despite the fact that I intentionally keep him at no rank and no items. And sure, it's "telegraphed"... if you can actually see him. But you can't, cuz he doesn't mind sitting offscreen and even if he's onscreen there's so much other garbage in the way that his own movements are way too hard to distinguish.

So yeah, you'll get no white-knighting from me. Despite how great the rest of 3.5 is, they did a completely trash job of designing and balancing Betrayal encounters, and it feels like they released it without even testing it a single time, cuz anyone with even the slightest experience would've caught how bad these fights feel.

Im at near 7400 life, run rumi's and basalt, have a lioneye's remorse, my chaos res is positive, at I think 34... I.e., good life, 50% block, about 40% phys dam reduction, and decent chaos res... still getting one shotted with regularity.

It is beyond frustrating.
GGG is like
lets make one shot mechanics and call it balance/challange/fun
users in the forum are like: GIT GUD SCRUB!

poe devs and community at its finest

btw im with you
"There are Penalties in the Game, no one's complaining about them"
Chris Wilson Exilecon 2019
Just do immortal encounters until you get the lab, and run past it, no other encounter will spawn.
Honestly, I'm usually the one who comments against people complaining about difficulty, but I have to agree. I'm not having alot of fun this league, and I would probably prefer to chill in standard instead, if it wasn't infested with game breaking unplayable bugs.
I've had to scrap two characters this league because simply getting through the campaign wasn't working. Each and every Syndicate encounter killed me. (Bow build, and consecrated path.) I think I've died more times this league than in Delve, and almost all my Delve deaths were from me taking stupid risks in the darkness.

I'm on my third character now, (arc trap) and the weird bit is that the Syndicate works with this one. Encounters are difficult but possible, where they were consistently killing my other characters. This is despite me ranking up members at every opportunity where before I would keep ranks at 0 whenever possible, and the character on paper being a bit squishy.

My point is that the difficulty in Betrayal is almost entirely build-based. A great many builds that are otherwise fine simply do not work with Betrayal encounters. This troubles me because one of the strengths of PoE to me is the diversity of builds. Someone who has a decent understanding of the game should be able to either pick an existing build, or make their own, and be able to at least get through the campaign with it, even if it struggles with end game content. That is no longer the case with Betrayal.
"
Hausser_0815 wrote:
Just do immortal encounters until you get the lab, and run past it, no other encounter will spawn.

While this is a great tip, please realize this is a league and not standard. Its supposed to have league content. It would be better to complain and maybe get some balancing (even if its in January) than just straight up play standard.
“We are the race of flesh, We are the race of lovers.”
"
whengreg wrote:
I've had to scrap two characters this league because simply getting through the campaign wasn't working. Each and every Syndicate encounter killed me. (Bow build, and consecrated path.) I think I've died more times this league than in Delve, and almost all my Delve deaths were from me taking stupid risks in the darkness.

I'm on my third character now, (arc trap) and the weird bit is that the Syndicate works with this one. Encounters are difficult but possible, where they were consistently killing my other characters. This is despite me ranking up members at every opportunity where before I would keep ranks at 0 whenever possible, and the character on paper being a bit squishy.

My point is that the difficulty in Betrayal is almost entirely build-based. A great many builds that are otherwise fine simply do not work with Betrayal encounters. This troubles me because one of the strengths of PoE to me is the diversity of builds. Someone who has a decent understanding of the game should be able to either pick an existing build, or make their own, and be able to at least get through the campaign with it, even if it struggles with end game content. That is no longer the case with Betrayal.

Yep, I'm on my 4th, though I admit my 3rd could probably do it--she just got boring easily. A couple of the regular trolls around here like to bash my Cleave build, but it utterly smashes everything, and syndicate gives it a rough time, but I can still clear them. This is how I know they are completely imbalanced. Intervention encounters were more lethal than Merc Izaro in my 60s. Bosses in the campaign that I used to struggle a bit with gave me absolutely zero issue this time. I know the build does a truck load of damage, but syndicate guys just sit there and take it like I'm not even doing that much.

This league is busted and they need to fix it ASAP before they lose most of the players until next league.
Tired of trolls? Ignore them.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1473168
Yesterday, I cleared Fortress encounter, the three Syndicates were already on their knees, I just proceeded to take down one last surviving totem thing inside.

Booom. There was apparently a trap on the ground. 5k Hp + 1k ES + 2k MoM gone. So now I understand the occasional sudden 100% -> 0% deaths. It just happens. Thane snaps and half the gamer population is gone, so to say.

I mean... at this point, I am just scratching my head. Was this designed to be this merciless? I COULD adapt, I am just not sure there aren't better things to do right now

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info