Xbox servers are restarting now. They should be back up in approximately .
Xbox servers are undergoing maintenance. Some features will be unavailable.

Burning Arrow

Ignite damage is directly based on final damage dealt; Fire Penetration is no special case. I figured that one would be obvious.
Took a bit but I found Mark's post confirming Ignite's DoT does not benefit twice from FPen. :)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 1, 2013, 1:24:28 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Ignite damage is directly based on final damage dealt; Fire Penetration is no special case. I figured that one would be obvious.
Took a bit but I found Mark's post confirming Ignite's DoT does not benefit twice from FPen. :)

Yeah, found that post yesterday too. But my question is not really about the dot, nor it is about the initial attack. What I want to know is whether the non-dot, non-initial attack explosion of the explosive arrow gets the buff.

I tested this by killing 50 of the same mob with, and then without the fire pen gem socketed. It seemed like I could one shot them off the explosion a little more often with the fire pen gem, but I can't say it was beyond standard deviation.
burning arrow explodes? think thats explosive arrow. and in that case it
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
burning arrow explodes? think thats explosive arrow. and in that case it

omg...

I'll just be going now
I think this skill is a bit too powerful in comparison to the ice and lightning arrow versions. Both of those versions have a small AoE, but do far less damage for far more Mana. Ice Arrow runs 14, Lightning Arrow runs 16 or 17, and Fire Arrow runs 10.

In further comparison; Ice Arrow has virtually no AoE while Thunder Arrow has too low of DPS.

-Thunder Arrow has a 70% base damage efficiency, and lightning tends to get double dipped on because a large amount of enemies have resistances to lightning. This gives it a fraction of fire arrows DPS, it might even have a lower DPS then fire arrow even if you assume it strikes 4 targets each time, but I'm not certain enough of that to claim it's definitely true.

-Ice Arrow converts 40% of physical to ice, so it's far better damage wise. It feels alright but the only reason to go with it over fire arrow is if your build has a lot of Crit to perform freezes.

-Fire Arrow Costs the lowest amount of Mana, has a bonus chance to ignite (Ice and Thunder don't have Shock and Freeze), has bonus ignite damage, and the highest damage per hit. The boost that Fire Arrow receives is a +30% of physical as fire, rather than a conversion, and that initially places it's DPS far above Ice Arrow. This difference is further compacted when the gem levels up and it's boosted physical is added as both physical and fire, rather than just boosted by both, but only added to Ice.
"
Flickerflare wrote:
I think this skill is a bit too powerful in comparison to the ice and lightning arrow versions. Both of those versions have a small AoE, but do far less damage for far more Mana. Ice Arrow runs 14, Lightning Arrow runs 16 or 17, and Fire Arrow runs 10.

In further comparison; Ice Arrow has virtually no AoE while Thunder Arrow has too low of DPS.

-Thunder Arrow has a 70% base damage efficiency, and lightning tends to get double dipped on because a large amount of enemies have resistances to lightning. This gives it a fraction of fire arrows DPS, it might even have a lower DPS then fire arrow even if you assume it strikes 4 targets each time, but I'm not certain enough of that to claim it's definitely true.

-Ice Arrow converts 40% of physical to ice, so it's far better damage wise. It feels alright but the only reason to go with it over fire arrow is if your build has a lot of Crit to perform freezes.

-Fire Arrow Costs the lowest amount of Mana, has a bonus chance to ignite (Ice and Thunder don't have Shock and Freeze), has bonus ignite damage, and the highest damage per hit. The boost that Fire Arrow receives is a +30% of physical as fire, rather than a conversion, and that initially places it's DPS far above Ice Arrow. This difference is further compacted when the gem levels up and it's boosted physical is added as both physical and fire, rather than just boosted by both, but only added to Ice.

Do you have a high level burning arrow character? If not then feel free to try it out. I definitely wouldn't call it OP. It's pretty average. Good single target damage for certain though.
Visit the Path of Exile Wiki at http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/
"
Danny wrote:

Do you have a high level burning arrow character? If not then feel free to try it out. I definitely wouldn't call it OP. It's pretty average. Good single target damage for certain though.

My highest level character is level 44, and so far, it just seems rediculous compared to the lightning and ice arrows. If you need AoE just add an elemental proliferation gem and -bam-, problem solved.
"
Flickerflare wrote:
"
Danny wrote:

My highest level character is level 44, and so far, it just seems rediculous compared to the lightning and ice arrows. If you need AoE just add an elemental proliferation gem and -bam-, problem solved.

I do feel like it beats Ice Arrow, but Ice Arrow is pretty under-explored. I'm not sure about Lightning Arrow. I think, even with the nerfs it still has the potential to be a good skill.

BTW, when you get to merciless with Burning Arrow, fire resist enemies will really slow your kill speed, especially large groups of them.
Visit the Path of Exile Wiki at http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/
"
Danny wrote:
"
Flickerflare wrote:
"
Danny wrote:

I do feel like it beats Ice Arrow, but Ice Arrow is pretty under-explored. I'm not sure about Lightning Arrow. I think, even with the nerfs it still has the potential to be a good skill.

BTW, when you get to merciless with Burning Arrow, fire resist enemies will really slow your kill speed, especially large groups of them.

There is a support gem and a curse for those; I have both, although I havn't had to use them due to the lack of fire resistance in lower difficulties. But thankyou for the headsup! Good to know my preperation wasn't in vain.
After a few hundred hours of using this thing, I'm pretty confident in saying it's rather mediocre. Compared to Frenzy and, at least, what Elemental Hit used to be.

That the fire damage keys off of physical damage, while at the same time the skill has built in ignite chance; these two things are slightly at odds with each other. You want big fire damage to make the burns matter, but also, hey maximize physical damage at the same time.

The increased burning damage can probably scale up to +50% and not be crazy.

As it is, this is little more than a basic attack you can use with support gems.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Feb 2, 2013, 3:29:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info