Burning Arrow

Assumed:
- 100 base physical damage
- +30% enhanced damage
- +12% enhanced damage (form burning arrow itself)
- +50% enhanced fire damage

Then:
100 base physical damage times 142% of enhanced damage:
142 physical damage times 30% of fire damage:
42.6 fire damage times 150% of enhanced fire damage:
63.9 fire damage
TOTAL
142 physical damage + 63.9 fire damage

Or:
100 base physical damage times 142% enhanced damage:
142 physical damage
100 base damage times 30% of fire damage:
30 fire damage times 150% of enhanced fire damage:
45 fire damage
TOTAL
142 physical damage + 45 fire damage

Which of those is correct?
Last edited by ThreeBlackBirds on Nov 27, 2012, 1:47:17 AM
is the enhanced damage a boost to all damage or just physical? very important. if the 30% is just physical then your second guess is correct, if not read on.

i know for certain the 12% damage boost from burning arrow is only on the physical, it says physical.assuming the remaining +30% is increasing all damage, this is what happens:

100 base damage -> 30% = 30 fire base
100 * 1.42 = 142 physical damage
30 * (1 +0.3 +0.5) = 54 fire damage
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Nov 26, 2012, 12:36:30 PM
@soul4hdwn
Thanks a lot! That's EXACTLY what I wanted to know!

So expanding you theory by 'enhanced projectile damage', it's gonna be like this:

Assumed:
- 100 base physical damage
- +30% enhanced physical damage
- +12% enhanced physical damage (form burning arrow itself)
- +50% enhanced fire damage
- +20% enhanced projectile damage

PHYSICAL PART
100 base physical damage times 142% of enhanced physical damage:
142 physical damage times 120% of enhanced projectile damage:
170 physical damage
FIRE PART
100 base damage times 30% of fire damage:
30 fire damage times 150% of enhanced fire damage:
45 fire damage times 120% of enhanced projectile damage:
54 fire damage
TOTAL
170 physical damage + 54 fire damage

I was just wondering, why people do not create (NON-CI) physical damage bowman. And use burning arrow, not for fire damage, but just for this 12% (on 5th lvl) increase of physical damage.
Last edited by ThreeBlackBirds on Nov 27, 2012, 2:01:13 AM
you made a little oops there =p, projectile damage increase adds to other percents. what you did was a "more" based increase or multiplicative increase by accident.

you should read math increases like this:
base * (1 + sum of all "increased") * (1 + sum of all "more" increases of same type) * (1 + sum of second kind of more based increases)

add more "more" type increases with the pattern if there is any. sorry if it looks wordy.

if burning arrow was supported with (lv1) projectile speed [10% projectile], (lv random) weapon elemental damage [70% more elemental damage], and point blank; then this will happen.

100 phys base
100 * 0.3 = 30 fire base

100 * (1 + 0.3 + 0.12 + 0.1) = 152 * 1.5 = 228 phys dmg

30 * (1 + 0.5 + 0.1) = 48 * 1.7 * 1.5 = 122.4 fire dmg

mind you that costs a lot in mana and point blank's effect only happens in melee range (the 50% more damage).
I suspect that with a certain specific set of gear, passives, and support gems, this skill could be incredibly powerful. Don't quote me on that, but (in the small amount of time I have) I'll be exploring it. I might stream my attempts but if nothing else I'll at least update you on my progress.
Visit the Path of Exile Wiki at http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/
Simple Calculation:
Your bow has 100 Phys Damage.
You use a Templar with no Bow bonuses, and grab all the elemental, fire, and weapon elemental passives.
You should end up with +181% fire damage for weapon attacks.
Now, if you use a Blackgleam, added Fire damage, and weapon elemental damage with that burning arrow, which for ease of calculation I've used at 45%, 35%, +65%, The result should be:
((45+30+30)*2.81)*1.65 = 487 Fire damage, not including equipment bonuses.
In addition, you still deal 55 phys damage and potentially 25 cold with Hatred.
Now, it might end up being better to use Fire Penetration instead of added fire damage, losing a decent chunk of fire damage, but in return getting 25-200% more fire damage against normal/fire resistant mobs.

I think the ideal 5L would be burning arrow, chance to ignite, elemental proliferation, fire penetration, elemental proliferation for a 'touch of death' dot build, and BA, WED, Added Fire, Penetration, and some projectile modifier for a dps build.

No idea on what gear, really, gl, Danny.

Edited for typo
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Last edited by UnDeaD_CyBorG on Dec 16, 2012, 7:50:32 AM
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
No idea on what gear, really, gl, Danny.

Thanks!

And because the build involves a bow, don't forget you have room for 2 5L items. :)
Last edited by Danny on Dec 16, 2012, 7:49:11 AM
Level 39 on my witch now and it's going pretty well. Only downside so far is the AOE is pretty weak, but as I level up Elemental Proliferation it might improve. The single target damage is pretty nuts though.
I found that using a level 10 LA with Elemental proliferation gives a nice damage boost.^^
Btw, with the "2 5L", keep in mind most fire supports are red, and it won't be easy to get a bow with 3R, let alone 5.
Those builds really require an armor chest.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
I found that using a level 10 LA with Elemental proliferation gives a nice damage boost.^^
Btw, with the "2 5L", keep in mind most fire supports are red, and it won't be easy to get a bow with 3R, let alone 5.
Those builds really require an armor chest.

2 blue, 2 red, and a green. It's not impossible on the chest at least. Bow will take a lot, but I can live with using a 4L instead of 5L for a while.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info