[3.6] The Blizz Sorc - Icestorm/Winter Orb CI Occultist - Viable For Everything

Been having an easy time so far with this build just following the leveling guide.

Rolling up on level 60 now and just scored a find that netted me 7 exalted orbs,looking forward to blowing this build up. Will be looking for advise here soon. Was selling for 8 so I lowballed the field and got an insta sell. :)

I'm a bit dyslexic and get a little confused but mostly have it.
Really enjoying this build, it's my first WI since breach league :)

Already got to level 92 and managed to take down T16 bosses, shaper and t15 elder.
The only top tier fight where I died was chimera, literally in every single smoke cloud phase. The fight feels a bit clunky without using portals. Already read some advices on this fight in your ascendant thread.

I also find blood rage very annoying when not fighting. Does Chaos golem phys reduction also count for this?
I also got a watchers eye with es regen and es on hit.
If my calculation is right, i would need 2. 24%es regen.
Chaos golem, Pantheon, Basalt = 44% phys reduction.
4% (blood rage) * 0.56 = 2.24%

At 10.6k es and almost 1.7k int now. How did you get to 1.9k-2k+ int? Or was this only possible with scion?

Also, which flasks would you recommend on the occultist Version? If I understand it right, sulphur flask won't really give any benefit and was just used on the ascendant version because of the Inquisitor synergy.
Currently using atziri, wise oak, granite, basalt, quicksilver
Would possibly swap the granite for something else if there is a good option
"
blah2k6 wrote:

At 10.6k es and almost 1.7k int now. How did you get to 1.9k-2k+ int? Or was this only possible with scion?

There are % increased intelligence corruptions on rings, belts, and the amulet. I think you need some of those to get over 2000 int.
Cast when Channeling is ultimate issue, and fun killer.

Once we have stable build without it - then I could consider play it again, but in it's current form - it's not the thing which I've loved in 2.x. :|
Indi game developer, passionate gamer, 22 year of programming, 32 years of playing RPG's started with books and board games.

If Your characters tab is set to private - Your arguments is already invalid!
Good day Evryone !

First, thanks again to Kelvynn and all of you for advises.

I have been following this build this league and finally managed to get to maps ( I don';t have enough time to play properly and I am not very fast ).
Anyway, I have 2 questions and hope some of you can help me :
- Is it a good idea to go get the +1 Curse ? Or just get a 5L on chest ?
- Is it intersting to get a 6L Whispeing and get Winter Orb maxed as a secondary source of damage ? Obviously need to get some mana.

Thanks and have a good day.

I always seem to come back to this build in any variation every season. I'm looking forward to seeing how it runs with Winter Orb! Thanks Kelvynn for your hard work and time in putting this together!
Fantastic guide. Thanks for the hard work.

It took me until I was done with A10 to 6 socket my staff so I actually just ran with a 4l Wintering Orb with this build for clear speed while using icestorm to leech.
Kelvyn do you remember where you got the -mana elreon crafting recipe bench?
Thanks <3
Comparing the current pure Cold build CI Occultist character at level 90 with my CI Ascendant (Elementalist-Inquisitor) character based on SR + CwC played in previous league (100% cold to fire conversion).

Used the current gear of Occultist char for comparison with keeping the Jewels specific to each character(the Ascendant has a Pure Talent and an Emperor's Wit jewels in her setup and the Occultist has a Might of the Meek jewel in her setup).

Both have a Watcher's Eye with +ES gain on hit and some Fertile Mind, Brute Forces and rare jewels in the other slots.

Set gems to level 20/20 on both chars.
The gem setup for Occultist WI Cold version:
Winter Orb-CwC-Hypotermia-Cold Penetration-Controlled Destruction-Spell Cascade (remove LL cause of life leech from boots, huge ES regen from occultist ascendancy and +ES gained from Watcher's Eye)

The gem setup for Ascendant WI Cold to Fire version:
Scorching Ray-CwC-Elemental Focus-Cold to Fire-Life Leech-Spell Cascade

Occultist Cold version using Frost Bomb + HoI + Blood Rage, Ascendant cold to fire version use Ball Lightning + HoA + Combustion
Rest of the gems are the same for both builds.

Now lets get to numbers:

For Occultist cold version level 90
INT: 1782
ES: 9043
Shaper Average Hit: 11.377 (3xFrenzy charges from Blood rage activation)
ES leech/Gain per Hit: 164
Energy Shield Regen: 2713 (30 enemies killed recently, this happen often in the mines)
ES Leech Cap: 3617
Resistances: 98/119/99

For Ascendant Cold to Fire conversion level 90
INT: 1817
ES: 7651
Shaper Average Hit: 10.680
ES Leech/Gain per Hit: 670
ES Leech Cap: 3060
Resistances: 131/134/99(76 Max resist Lightning)

Now damage wise it seems a small difference for Occultist but keep in mind that in Occultist staff setup i changed LL gem with Controlled Destruction.

ES wise Occultist win by far and also when it comes to trash clearance due to chill, freeze and explosion of mobs(atm Freeze chance for my char is according to PoB - 35%)

If we go for single target values, replace Spell Cascade in both setups with Concentrated Effect and also in Occultist setup replace Hypotermia with LL here are the Average Hit values at level 90:

Ascendant Cold to Fire version: 23.774
Occultist Cold version: 17.205 (3x Frenzy charges from Blood rage activation)

So Ascendant wins with a high margin on single target but then again, Occultist has more ES, ES regen, better leech from Soul of Arakaali Pantheon option and is imune to stun, chill and freeze all the time (Ascendant is imune to all elemental ailments while on Consecrated ground)

Ascendant version is imune to elemental reflect on the other hand.

Both version are OK no matter what you choose, this build is very strong end game wise.

Last edited by lilianmarius on Dec 12, 2018, 10:42:17 AM
Read before fighting Mastermind, final boss of League. Felt it on my skin last night, almost failed the boss in a level 75 area. Most part of the fight the only source of ES came from Watcher's Eye +ES gained on hits. Boss invulnerable most part of the fight so no Leech with LL and no ES regen and not even ES recharge due to permanent debuff on us. The fight is a pain in the ass most of the time.

Get good or die or buy a Watcher's Eye! :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/a5i02z/ps_dont_do_the_mastermind_fight_if_you_are_an/?utm_source=reddit-android
Last edited by lilianmarius on Dec 12, 2018, 12:46:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info