[3.5] Occultist Cold DoT Caster (Cold Snap + Vortex) WIP

So just to be clear you don't use bonechill or hypothermia? I thought those gems were OP for dot
"
TrueGohan wrote:
So just to be clear you don't use bonechill or hypothermia? I thought those gems were OP for dot

I use both)
How come you took the lord of the dead and minion damage node over the 2 spell crit strike chance nodes?
"
SevDestroyer wrote:
How come you took the lord of the dead and minion damage node over the 2 spell crit strike chance nodes?

Cause DoT does not crit. And this is not a crit build.
I got a upgrade boost for you

You can use Might of the meek in the jewel slot Above the Witch

You don’t need the extra elemental damage points in the witch Area then because MotM will disable the medium Nodes

You get some nice elemental boost in the Cold DoT Wheel

And since we are ES / CI it doesn’t matter anyway since the dmg is more than enough
So just 1 jewel slot save us some skill points

I am around 9500 Es but my problem is the defensive layer is really bad
You can check my character - WinterIsComingBack

In Red Maps i get one shot sometimes
It doesn’t feel that good

Also got a huge Mana Problem - I don’t know how you gain about 90 mana regeneration.
I get about half 45/s

Wich is enough but not Good enough for me to feel comfortable

I also boosted the damage with a lvl4 empower 😂

So we could have a lvl 28 Cold Snap or Vortex

All in all it’s a okay Build with a way too offensive Playstyle

I also though about only using Vaal Cold Snap together with

Soul Ripper Flask to run through map like RF

Rumi is also not really worth it in my point of view

You get only a little defense , 4K armour is not worth it
20 Block / 10 spellblock not reliable

The Aspect of Spider is Not Bad sind together with temp chains you get a noticeable slow in Bossfights

But temp chains alone is shit against bosses

The blink arrow feels lackluster too , because of the CD and without Phasing playing with Vortex as Main skill sucks

All in all i think Might of the Meek is worth it

Since you save a lot of Skill Points that you can use for more defensive layers

I’m also thinking about throwing out Aspect of Spider and insert Enfeeble or Frost Bite again
Since 30% less damage Or a more reliable - Cold Resistsnce source

That’s the negative side of bow ES Builds

You are missing a good Block % from staff or Shields

The extra ES that make it feel amazing for example
I had a gain Mana and ES on Block Shield

With extra Block chance - totally OP for Block ES builds
Since you could stand inside beyond Breaches without dying

That’s what I miss here

The dmg is really not the problem
But the defensive layer that would let me kill Uber without much skill

"
Mikado90 wrote:

I am around 9500 Es but my problem is the defensive layer is really bad
You can check my character - WinterIsComingBack

In Red Maps i get one shot sometimes
It doesn’t feel that good

Also got a huge Mana Problem - I don’t know how you gain about 90 mana regeneration.
I get about half 45/s

Wich is enough but not Good enough for me to feel comfortable

I also boosted the damage with a lvl4 empower 😂

So we could have a lvl 28 Cold Snap or Vortex

All in all it’s a okay Build with a way too offensive Playstyle

I also though about only using Vaal Cold Snap together with

Soul Ripper Flask to run through map like RF

Rumi is also not really worth it in my point of view

You get only a little defense , 4K armour is not worth it
20 Block / 10 spellblock not reliable

The Aspect of Spider is Not Bad sind together with temp chains you get a noticeable slow in Bossfights

But temp chains alone is shit against bosses

The blink arrow feels lackluster too , because of the CD and without Phasing playing with Vortex as Main skill sucks

All in all i think Might of the Meek is worth it

Since you save a lot of Skill Points that you can use for more defensive layers

I’m also thinking about throwing out Aspect of Spider and insert Enfeeble or Frost Bite again
Since 30% less damage Or a more reliable - Cold Resistsnce source

That’s the negative side of bow ES Builds

You are missing a good Block % from staff or Shields

The extra ES that make it feel amazing for example
I had a gain Mana and ES on Block Shield

With extra Block chance - totally OP for Block ES builds
Since you could stand inside beyond Breaches without dying

That’s what I miss here

The dmg is really not the problem
But the defensive layer that would let me kill Uber without much skill

Well lets get into this.
1. 9500 ES is kinda low. I've got 11k and I don't even have nothing too good equipped. The more ES you have the faster is you recharge so it is a crucial stat. Also - getting one shot? By what? Haven't been one shot in ages.
2. Mana regen is a problem, yes. You have to have constant Arcane Surge (which I have now thanks to awesome crafting option, you can check out my character to see it) and lab enchant on 2% life and mana regen when hit. Also having a bit of mana regen on equipment helps a lot.
3. Regarding Empower - it is only worth it in bow setup if you have +1 to gems on it. Not worth it in armor setup, damage boost is too small compared to a price of gem.
4. You say that build is too offensive and then you want to throw out Rumi's and Temp Chains for Frostbite. Srsly?) And also Aspect of the Spider has full effect on bosses, unlike curses, so it is a must have both defensively and offensively.
5. I never liked phasing, but you can always take a flask for it, or even use Phase Run (just drop Inc Aoe on frost bomb or smth like that). Adapt) Regarding blink arrow - we have a choice between flame dash, lightning warp and blink arrow for movement skills. Lightning warp is just awful with its delay, Flame dash is too short and not precise so I chose blink arrow. You could always use FD or LW if you want. Again - adapt)
6. I've thought about a staff version, but that 80% faster ES recharge start... I just can't give it up. Maybe later when I have watcher's eye with faster start and craft it on the ring. 1h + shield version is a no go for me, cause we lose a 6link setup (yes I know you can have a pseudo 6 and even 7 link in the helmet, but it still will be missing that +3 to gems which is crucial to DoT builds)
7. I don't really like Might of the Meek idea, just because we will lose Blast area node and we need all the extra AoE we can get.

Tbh it is one of the most survivable builds I've played, only things that can kill it are either a lot of quick hits in succession so our recharge does not have time to start (which is why we have chill, temp chains and aspect of the spider slowing things) or a one shot, which is kinda hard to get on a build with that much ES. Also you have a lot of time to dodge anything that comes your way cause you don't have to stand still to do damage.
Last edited by Agr1as on Dec 16, 2018, 6:20:05 AM
Do you have an updated PoB with your current gear/tree? I'm doing something like this and the bow/quiver seem interesting.
Im using vortex via frostbolt cuz i wanted to play it long time ago and now this is viable. Ty GGG :d
Amazing cheap combo for clearing atlas and guardians.

About mana problems: clarity ~lvl4 + arcane surge can resolve it.
Yesterday i received items for LL and OMG its amazing, shaper was melted AF. Gona get some currency and melt uber elder soon as possible.
Hi, so do u update anything in tree?
"
Do you have an updated PoB with your current gear/tree? I'm doing something like this and the bow/quiver seem interesting.

My profile is public so you can always import my char in PoB and see everything.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info