[3.5] Occultist Cold DoT Caster (Cold Snap + Vortex) WIP

Thoughts on Hypothermia + Bonechill ?
"
Sephirvine wrote:

You can put Bonechill on a supporting skill and still get the effect on your Cold Snap/Vortex, which makes it a great option.
Could this build work with a Winter's orb setup and maybe run something like a Taryn's Shiver?
"
Maxpoggi wrote:
"
Sephirvine wrote:

You can put Bonechill on a supporting skill and still get the effect on your Cold Snap/Vortex, which makes it a great option.

Problem is - which supporting skill? Frost Bomb only chills when it explodes and this takes time. And also sockets and keybinds are a problem.
I'm thinking that I'm gonna link Bonechill to Vortex, as Vortex only gets dropped on bosses/tough rares and it will affect both Cold Snap and the Vortex itself. And even with base 10% chill (non-hit sources of Chill have minimum of 10%) its a 39% More gem, which is only 5% less than Controlled Destruction which would go in its place and getting some Chill effect will bring it on par with Controlled Destruction. And when you consider that it also affects Cold Snap and Vaal Cold Snap - Bonechill becomes a very very valuable support gem.
"
Thraesh wrote:
Could this build work with a Winter's orb setup and maybe run something like a Taryn's Shiver?

Winter Orb is a hitting spell, this build is made to scale Damage over Time, so you would need to make some adjustments here and there. I was playing with the idea of Winter Orb + CwC in Whispering Ice, but it won't be a good starter build IMHO.
Taryn's Shiver is a great staff but this particular build has its main defense in fast start of Energy Shield Recharge provided by Soul Strike quiver. Also getting +3 bow will be not very hard (just slap +2 Cold Essence and hope for +1 to all, it is all you need from your bow).
What about new Arctic Breath?
What unique would you recommend for this build (leveling and endgame) ?
I'm interested in trying it as a league starter.
"
Gomoku7 wrote:

The new Spine of the First Claimant and Rime Cage which give cold damage over time seem interesting. Also you can have pseudo 5-link Vortex with the helmet.
Last edited by phirlo on Dec 6, 2018, 3:37:53 PM
"
nevilpoe wrote:
What about new Arctic Breath?

Will try it for sure, but from the info we have right now - Arctic Breath has the least base damage out of 3 Cold Area DoT spells.
"
Gomoku7 wrote:

CI characters are notoriously bad league starters so unless you are absolutely sure that you know what you are getting yourself into - don't do it.

Spine of the First Claimant and Rime Cage as said above are a good choices. Also you can quite easily get +1/+2 Cold Gems bow (by slamming an Essence of Sorrow on it) which will help a lot. Although bows would be quite difficult to color.

I will be using this build as a league starter and possibly posting some tips as it will progress.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info