Disconnect in Labs shouldn't start you over

"
Fruz wrote:
Oh I see, so in short you want to get rid of a mechanic that has been here and balanced around from the very start of PoE, and would likely require a global re-balance of the game.

I know that many people don't like it, but logging out in the middle of a fight is part of what GGG expects people to do and they have been balancing around this.
It's not just to allow people with connection problems to play, it's also an intended design decision ( it's both together actually ).
The same was true for the desync "mechanic" at one point. ;)

GGG only "expects" people to log out because it is a possibility, and often the smart thing to do.
I highly doubt that this was a conscious design decision, an not just the consequence of the tech that they had starting out.

I think this change and the accompanying rebalancing would be welcome for most players. It remains a matter of taste of course. The rebalancing isn't even that extensive - it's mainly easing off on oneshots.

Also, my proposition doesn't affect people with connectivity issues negatively. There still needs to be a timeout set to decide if someone has disconnected. If they manage to get inputs to the server in that time window the game will just carry on (as it does now). Only if the server never hears from them, it will assume that the last input it received was the last time the player was online.
Online delenda est:
When the lifecycle of PoE will draw to an end many years from now,
there needs to be a final patch making it available offline.
there are over 10 game servers every player in the world can choose from and login and create instances on that server.

game servers do report back to the master servers on certain player events like instance switching, crafting with high value currency and so on.

if you have that much data to handle on the master servers you don't necessarily increase it with the massive amount of data from a existing instance (instance seed, monsters killed/existing, instance mods).

ggg's strength has ever been that their game architecture was rock solid with unbeaten short patching times and, the most important one, scalability.

you just don't throw that away for a small convenience win.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Xeledon2132 wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:
Oh I see, so in short you want to get rid of a mechanic that has been here and balanced around from the very start of PoE, and would likely require a global re-balance of the game.

I know that many people don't like it, but logging out in the middle of a fight is part of what GGG expects people to do and they have been balancing around this.
It's not just to allow people with connection problems to play, it's also an intended design decision ( it's both together actually ).
The same was true for the desync "mechanic" at one point. ;)

Nop, they said that due to the high amount of calculation and interaction, a "lockstep" type of architecture would be less smooth and straightforward than Diablo's for example, and much more prone to a bad experience if you do not have a very low ping.
Which is why they are still recommending predictive over lockstep.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Nov 28, 2018, 8:41:45 AM
"
vio wrote:
if you have that much data to handle on the master servers you don't necessarily increase it with the massive amount of data from a existing instance (instance seed, monsters killed/existing, instance mods).
snip
you just don't throw that away for a small convenience win.
As I envision it, there is no extra data involved at all. They just keep a log on the server that runs the instance. A log of data that is already present anyhow.
If, for infrastructure reasons, that would have to be communicated to the master server, you could do that once the DC has happened. There's no need to do that in parallel with all the other stuff.

We're reaching a point where we'd need Jonathan to really say how difficult this would be to implement. None of us have access to their infrastructure.
And we'd need a decision on how high of a priority this change should be (if they thought it is a good idea in the first place).
Otherwise we can't say if the ratio of goodness over resources needed is any good.

Seems like I'm estimating that ratio a tad higher than you. *shrug*

I'm not saying they should do this, and eschew all the things you'd like implemented to the game. ;)
I'm simply saying: It could probably be done, and I like idea.
Online delenda est:
When the lifecycle of PoE will draw to an end many years from now,
there needs to be a final patch making it available offline.
Last edited by Xeledon2132 on Nov 28, 2018, 9:14:09 AM
"
Xeledon2132 wrote:

We're reaching a point where we'd need Jonathan to really say how difficult this would be to implement. None of us have access to their infrastructure.

he is negitivefrags on reddit and nearly exclusively posts there. just drop him a message.

from my point of view it's not worth for them. their core player base is mapping 2 days into a league and maps started from your hideout are easily accessible already even if you got kicked/had a disconnect or logged out.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Xeledon2132 wrote:

And we'd need a decision on how high of a priority this change should be (if they thought it is a good idea in the first place).
Otherwise we can't say if the ratio of goodness over resources needed is any good.

Seems like I'm estimating that ratio a tad higher than you. *shrug*

Similar requests have been made since the lab exists and nothing happened.

This should tell you, its either too much effort and therefore discarded or its super low on GGGs priority list.

If the decision was up to me, which ofc it isnt, I wouldnt even try.
Completing lab takes like 5mins tops, assuming the players knows what hes doing.
Why put any effort at all into such a minor improvement?

It sure would be a nice QoL improvement, but still a super unimportant one.
You´ll be playing for hundreds of hours each league. Saving you from having to redo 5mins of content doesnt change much. Its less than 0.000000000x% of your total playtime.
Not worth the effort, not worth risking exploits and such.
anything that appears as a disconnect can be artificially generated, so it's not really possible

also complete laffo at anyone speculating how hard or easy something is to implement in a codebase that you are totally unfamiliar with (it's always way harder than you think)
"
Fruz wrote:
I think that there is no way that this could be implemented without it not being hackable and exploitable.

This. Times a thousand.

Take your licks and move on.
So with the fact that there are 10 servers and clearly more players recently, is it possible that it's the server? The only time I have connectivity issues is when playing this game. I can browse the internet and stream just fine, like HD 1080p streaming that isn't youtube.

Also Slaane, try to go through almost the entirety of the lab as quick as you can to be d/c twice before the finish line alongside a couple deaths since this character is squishy. That's a lot of time to waste on d/c's.
I was once disconnected for very unclear reasons (ISP? Server? Game was working perfectly before and afterwards) in the final room of the lab just as I was about to start using my 6 treasure keys and 3 shots at enchanting (had prophecy and darkshrine). It was a very frustrating experience, as labs take me 30 min or so, sometimes longer, as I try to full clear (gauntlets/puzzles/silver doors, not enemies obv) and my jugg isn’t all that fast even with leap slam spam.

Therefore IF a method exists to keep instances around for 10 min after a crash and log us back in without it being exploitable, I’d support its implementation. If not, the game’s security is more important.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info