Disconnect in Labs shouldn't start you over

Got D/C twice due to crappy connectivity on my side most likely due to a currently bad router which I don't have much control over. It's not often I get a D/C, but I've gotten quite a few doing labs. I understand dying and starting over, but not from a disconnect. Something literally not caused by user error shouldn't penalize you.
Last bumped on Dec 1, 2018, 7:07:46 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I think that there is no way that this could be implemented without it not being hackable and exploitable.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
I think there is.
Of course neither of us can know for sure. :)

Ideally DCs would never start you over.
The game will only truly be in line with its hardcore aspirations, when it just pauses on DC and log out, and throws you right back in where you left when you log back in.
This would also curb the immersion breaking practice of going to the character screen as a shortcut to waypoints that auto unlock.
Online delenda est:
When the lifecycle of PoE will draw to an end many years from now,
there needs to be a final patch making it available offline.
"
Xeledon2132 wrote:
I think there is.
Of course neither of us can know for sure. :)

Well, if you know a way to implement such a feature that cannot realistically be reverse-engineered/replicated on the client side, and that does not require GGG to spend a significant amount of time implementing ...
I suggest you share it with GGG.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Xeledon2132 wrote:

The game will only truly be in line with its hardcore aspirations, when it just pauses on DC and log out, and throws you right back in where you left when you log back in.
This would also curb the immersion breaking practice of going to the character screen as a shortcut to waypoints that auto unlock.

i think it's better for bots to have them appear in town after login.

disconnects in lab are a bad thing. but yeah, devs decided that a little feeling of hardcore in the 15 minutes playtime you need there is worth it.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Fruz wrote:
Well, if you know a way to implement such a feature that cannot realistically be reverse-engineered/replicated on the client side, and that does not require GGG to spend a significant amount of time implementing ...
Define significant amount of time. ;)

All they'd have to do is save a "replay" on the server of the latest instance a player has joined. This should be possible for the same reasons that the game can use lockstep mode.
Remember replays in games like StarCraft? You'd have an epic 1 hour match with your friends at a LAN party, and you could save the replay in a file that was ony a few kB in size. This worked, because the replays were no videos but mere recordings of all the input which you can then just run through the game engine, as though it was being played live.
There's one complication for PoE: RNG.
Depending on how things work, they'd also have to log the results of all RNG rolls, or they'd just have to save the instance's seed for the RNG. Both seems totally feasible to me. Maybe a few MB per player in the worst case.

This should be impossible to hack/reverse-engineer, since it is all done server side.
From the perspective of the client, when you log in, the server just presents you with the game state it has drawn from the replay, instead of town.

As for the time to implement this, I imagine there's a lot of code reuse involved that should make this relatively easy to do. Mainly you'll be working with system that are already in place.

Just guessing though.
Online delenda est:
"
Xeledon2132 wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:
Define significant amount of time. ;)

All they'd have to do is save a "replay" on the server of the latest instance a player has joined. This should be possible for the same reasons that the game can use lockstep mode.
Remember replays in games like StarCraft? You'd have an epic 1 hour match with your friends at a LAN party, and you could save the replay in a file that was ony a few kB in size. This worked, because the replays were no videos but mere recordings of all the input which you can then just run through the game engine, as though it was being played live.
There's one complication for PoE: RNG.
Depending on how things work, they'd also have to log the results of all RNG rolls, or they'd just have to save the instance's seed for the RNG. Both seems totally feasible to me. Maybe a few MB per player in the worst case.

This should be impossible to hack/reverse-engineer, since it is all done server side.
From the perspective of the client, when you log in, the server just presents you with the game state it has drawn from the replay, instead of town.

As for the time to implement this, I imagine there's a lot of code reuse involved that should make this relatively easy to do. Mainly you'll be working with system that are already in place.

Just guessing though.

Significant is relative to how much this is a problem ( so I'd say, not very much in our case ).
Replays are unrelated to the problem here as a disconnection can happen any time, disregarding the situation the exile is in.
How would replays "help" us here ?
"
Fruz wrote:
Significant is relative to how much this is a problem ( so I'd say, not very much in our case ).
Probably true. :)
"
Fruz wrote:
Replays are unrelated to the problem here as a disconnection can happen any time, disregarding the situation the exile is in.
How would replays "help" us here ?
They'd just log your input at all times. On a DC they can, with the help of that log (the replay file) recreate the exact game state when they last received input from you.
Thus, a DC (unexpected or voluntarily) effectively only pauses your game. You can't take the easy way out, and you can't lose your lab run either.
Online delenda est:
This would ve happen if this wasnt an online game and if it wasnt pve.
This mechanic is easily abusable and probably better as it is now.
I dont mean that it is a bad idea but i think your actions and disconnects have consequences. This is one of them.
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
"
Xeledon2132 wrote:
They'd just log your input at all times. On a DC they can, with the help of that log (the replay file) recreate the exact game state when they last received input from you.
Thus, a DC (unexpected or voluntarily) effectively only pauses your game. You can't take the easy way out, and you can't lose your lab run either.

Oh I see, so in short you want to get rid of a mechanic that has been here and balanced around from the very start of PoE, and would likely require a global re-balance of the game.

I know that many people don't like it, but logging out in the middle of a fight is part of what GGG expects people to do and they have been balancing around this.
It's not just to allow people with connection problems to play, it's also an intended design decision ( it's both together actually ).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info