PoE with high/ max GI-settings - which gpu to choose as an upgrade?

"
insilopeh wrote:
This game does not appear to like AMD cards...

This has been a known thing for a long time.
OP - stick to Nvidia
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
"
DoubleU wrote:
"
insilopeh wrote:
This game does not appear to like AMD cards...

This has been a known thing for a long time.
OP - stick to Nvidia

I can absolutely confirm that. My gaming rig from PoE day 1 in December 2012:

1. Intel i7-870 (Haswell core) 2.93 GHz stock but I oc and run at 3.5 GHz 24/7
    stable with a massive 4 heatpipe dual 120 mm fan air cooler.
2. 8 MB of G.Skill DDR3-1600 ram
3. 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD
4. Windows 7 Pro without any Meltdown or Spectre OS patches.
    Since the beginning of the year I am very careful to manually
    approve which updates get installed and have avoided all Kernel
    patches that slow down Windows 7 performance. FYI: you can't do
    this with Windows 10 (there is no option for manual updates).
5. LG widescreen monitor at 2560 x 1080 res.
6. 650 watt Seasonic power supply (bronze rated efficiency)
7. AMD Radeon R270: This is a lower end AMD gpu but even if I had a
    R580 or Vega gpu PoE would still lag out a lot.
    Nvidia 1060 AMP! 6 GB as of 12-25-17.

Case in point: I never ever could run a breach (had to completely skip that league) as any breach would flatline my fps (5 or 6 FPS at most). So any breaches encountered in the wild I was forced to skip. Then for last Christmas I was gifted a Nvidia Geforce 1060 AMP! edition video card with 6 GB of memory (not the performance crippled 3 GB version). Suddenly the next breach I encountered worked smoothly and I could finally enjoy the loot drops they provided. So I cranked up all the quality settings to high, turned on "Dynamic Resolution", and set the "Target Framerate" to 42, and with my Internet link to WDC realm at 50 ms or lower PoE plays quite well with few times of lag. I'm sure a 1070 or 1080 could get me to 60 FPS 99% of the time but PoE plays quite well with the 1060 AMP! with the very few times of coming into a crowded town and seeing the Dynamic Resolution function lower my quality for a second or two. Then it's right back up (usually over 100 fps). Only other time I experience a quality drop is very briefly and very rarely at times of very high mob pack density and when one-shotting the entire pack (like with Arc and it's chaining effect) then the quality and framerate drops for a brief moment but nothing annoying.

Definitely pass on AMD and get a Nvidia 1060 AMP! 6 GB or better video card with a good dual fan heatpipe cooler such as the MSI Twin Frozr IV or the Gigabyte Windforce. You will never (if you have good airflow through your computer case) overheat and burn out the video card playing PoE. I also keep the slot immediately to the left (down as viewed from the front in my mid-tower case) empty to allow the 2 fans plenty of air flow. The other item that is never discussed much but is of critical importance is to always have a high quality (Bronze rating or better) power supply. Remember that you will need a beefy power supply for running PoE on a Nvidia 1000 series gpu.

"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Nov 15, 2018, 8:09:05 PM
NASA level GPU with 1.21 gigawatts of power

Cererally...
Spoiler
I run with an i5 6600K, 1070FTW GPU, and 2x 500GB SSDs...MUCH improved performance since
I've lost control of the controls...
Jesus take the wheel"
RAizQT during Kammel HC race
Last edited by Ain_Soph_Aur on Nov 15, 2018, 8:45:02 PM
"
insilopeh wrote:
I had a 290 and my friend had a 970. Both of us had the same cpu. My game ran like donkey with constant framerate fluctuations and his ran pretty fluently. Was with a fresh install of windows on my end. This game does not appear to like AMD cards...

I don't seem to have this AMD problem:

That is on an old i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM using a 128Gb PrimoCache partition to cache an 8Tb RAID10. Single R9-290.

Zak

EDIT: Added one with Temps and speeds (From AIDA64)
Last edited by ZakSeven on Nov 15, 2018, 11:23:36 PM
"
ZakSeven wrote:

That is on an old i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM using a 128Gb PrimoCache partition to cache an 8Tb RAID10. Single R9-290.

this indeed looks good. does the aida AA setting overwrite the "disabled AA" ingame? or do you simply play without any?

PS. 2600k is an incredible cpu with beast-like OC potential...
Just built a new gaming pc like, two weeks ago. I play on a 160hz gsync monitor so I needed something that would maintain 160 fps at all times. Sadly, I have the second best gpu on the market today and I will still get fps drops far below my monitors refresh rate even with settings at the low end. There are just some things in this game that utterly destroy fps for a second or two and I don't think there is a computer built today that will negate it. That being said, the other 99% of the time the gpu keeps up with the 160 fps at like 34% load. I started with a gtx 1060 because I thought it would be plenty for poe, but it turned out to not be good for keeping up with my monitors refresh. Now I have an rtx 2080.

I honestly have no idea what the minimum gpu would be for what you are asking, but I do know there isn't any way to keep fps stable at all times even on a super computer.

specs:
i7 8700k oc'd 5ghz
32gb 3200 ddr ram
rtx 2080 fps limiter set to 155
1tb ssd
37" acer predator gsync monitor 160 hz
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
"
mrs_choo wrote:
mhhh. Have been infected by hardware-upgrade-hype way too hard i guess - added a RTX 2080 to the list of candidates as i somehow feel tempted (cuz unlike the 1080 ti or stuff i can easily get a msi trio or asus strix version).

Anyone out there actually playing on a RTX 2080? would be super curious.

Just read this. I just sent back a Strix rtx 2080 to asus due to the card being defective. Might just be my luck, but I hear the rtx cards are having issues. My current 2080 I picked up for 200 usd cheaper than the strix and it is running with no issues so far. Newegg is having a sale on them right now, for 3 more days I think?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932066&Description=rtx%202080&cm_re=rtx_2080-_-14-932-066-_-Product
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last edited by Dragon585 on Nov 16, 2018, 3:20:47 AM
"
mrs_choo wrote:
to be able to play 1920x1200 @60 fps with GI + high / max settings.

hahaha xD if u go nuts with builds no pc can handle 60 fps just saying xd
"Now all that's left is for you getting on your knees."
if you know thanks me:) i'm dying to find out x'D
"
mrs_choo wrote:
"
ZakSeven wrote:

this indeed looks good. does the aida AA setting overwrite the "disabled AA" ingame? or do you simply play without any?

PS. 2600k is an incredible cpu with beast-like OC potential...

AIDA is the software that show all the temps, load etc, it does nothing for the GPU. In fact, I use this to troubleshoot only and the poll rate is high so it actually affect performance. I don't have this open while playing normally.

As for the AA settings, yes I have it OFF in the game and let AMD driver set to 2xEQ (Enhanced Quality) instead. I force a 70fps limitation even though I Vsync in game as I noticed PoE would sometime shoot up when loading (basically it seem for a moment they don't maintain vsync) there's no need for that otherwise it shoot 140-200fps for nothing. I create profile in driver for each game I play regularly and adjust accordingly including GPU/VRAM rate, if game is not pulling a lot why push it. In fact, I did had issue running VRAM at 1350mhz on PoE, it was stable at 1340 but decided to run safe 1300 on this one since it made no noticeable differences. All other I games I run @ 1350.

I guess the point is very often people see a visual issue (stuttering, fps drop, jitter) and immediately assume something is wrong with the GPU or at worse think CPU is a fail since it is the central piece. Yet I have seen a lot of issue coming from NIC, sound (sound and visual are in sync for game to make sense so issue there can cause visual problems too), BIOS settings, hardware install causing VID PCIe to drop 8x, 4x or even 1x. RAM related is main root-cause often due a myriad of slow down. Anti-virus settings. etc.

So although the OP GTX960 is considered slower than an R9-290 he should do well in his current 1920x1200. So perhaps, maybe, there's still something that can be done elsewhere to gain some performance first for cheap. Perhaps an upgrade is warranted to satisfy his need for higher resolution and/or details, in that case anything he can afford higher (at least % performance relative to go @ 1440p) than his current should do and since he's familiar with Nvidia maybe stick with that if it run well on his system.

EDIT: The driver for AMD control states in the GPU for PoE, I have set the 2 highest to be the same and the third one very close still. People that have seen stuttering on R9 architecture often is due to that, the game demand decrease and increase faster than the GPU move between states (In PC term that is relative, it is still ms but long enough to be noticeable). Forcing last 2-3 states to same level ensure GPU maintain speed even if game demand decrease slightly and don't have to bump up when it suddenly ask for more. Those are State 6,7 on a 290. State 5 is only about 3% lower.
Last edited by ZakSeven on Nov 16, 2018, 7:55:11 AM
id go with 2080

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info