PoE with high/ max GI-settings - which gpu to choose as an upgrade?

I have a watercooled GTX 1080 Hybrid and a water cooled 8770K processor, but I still play with GI off.

For some reason, GI raises my temps almost 15 degrees and makes my fans go nuts. It's annoying so I just turn it off.

"
Ygidua wrote:
Let´s talk facts now,

POE is CPU locked, ...

THX a lot for your long and in depth comment. With PoE most likely being my main game for a while i guess i should really consider an Nvidia Card...
OFC i am still trying to get a 1080 (or even TI) - but just from a vendor. As you (or s.o. else) mentioned, there is a lot of fraud going on.
I just changed my graphic card, got a gtx 1080 (got it for 400€ recently) and i5 6600K oc 4.5ghz (80th percentile).
At first I tryed to play PoE with all graphics maxed, even thought I had no problem running it, I checked my graphic card and it was running at almost 100% and was on a constant 85*C, meaning that while I was playing at PoE, my graphic card was on a constant stress test.

After some research I managed to find the problem.

Without V-Sync enabled, the graphic card is trying very hard to have the best fps, by enabling it, you're graphic card bridle it and will sync with your monitor, you'll see almost no difference in game.

After that my graphic card gets some breathing and was running at 80% and around 75*C but I felt it was too much for the life-time of my graphic card.

So I was looking at what could I possibly disabled without having graphics decreased.

And it was the lightning shadow, if you go on shadow + global illumination it will eat a lot of performance.

By just going on lightning : shadows(default), it will change nothing but a gain of performance.

I end up having my gtx 1080 on a 55% (In hideout I have 38% gpu 29% cpu) utilisation and constant 65*C while having the game at (almost) maxed graphics instead of 100% utilisation with everything maxed.

EDIT: I just tryed something else, GI and shadow quality -> high instead of ultra and I have the same result without GI but with shadow quality -> ultra...

So I guess you should go on GI and go on high quality shadow instead for a slightly better graphism.
Last edited by valbanil on Nov 15, 2018, 2:05:17 AM
I would recomend the 1060 6gb version, its fantastic, iv never had any issues. although i have heard that they have increased in price now because they are so good and because of bitcoin. I guess u cant go wrong with any of the 10**.
"
Galilleo wrote:
I would recomend the 1060 6gb version, its fantastic, iv never had any issues. although i have heard that they have increased in price now because they are so good and because of bitcoin. I guess u cant go wrong with any of the 10**.

on which settings / resolution / fps are you running the game?
My system:
"
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Core
I7 8700k (4.8 ghz overclock)
16 GB ram 3200 mhz overclock
144 mhz refresh monitor

My graphical settings:
"

My build: Bow raider with iceshot and barrage.
Video example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mgI3DoIVZE

With a bow raider with iceshot no herald MTX doing T16 quad sextant maps with HH I will get around 100 fps but it will dip as low as 60 under the worse conditions.

Since you are only running at 60 fps I think 1 or 2 steps down from 1080ti will be sufficient to permanently keep 60 fps. However, I never run GI anymore because its costly and hard to tell at end game so I am not sure if adding that on top of everything would drop frames below 60.

Also, my cpu is almost never above 40% utilization where as the gpu is always maxed out so at my resolution/frame rate poe is wholly gpu botttleneck'ed and I expect this to be the case even at 1080p/60fps.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Nov 14, 2018, 5:16:01 PM
Yes it is so annoying.. people say poe is CPU heavy game, yet cpu is never at above 50% and vga is working full time yet fps is terrible..

it shouldnt be terrible before cpu would be fully utilised!!
Poe 2.0 new trailers when?
I had a 290 and my friend had a 970. Both of us had the same cpu. My game ran like donkey with constant framerate fluctuations and his ran pretty fluently. Was with a fresh install of windows on my end. This game does not appear to like AMD cards...
mhhh. Have been infected by hardware-upgrade-hype way too hard i guess - added a RTX 2080 to the list of candidates as i somehow feel tempted (cuz unlike the 1080 ti or stuff i can easily get a msi trio or asus strix version).

Anyone out there actually playing on a RTX 2080? would be super curious.
1080ti here

runs great at 4k

its a thing of beauty
I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info