3.7 In-Depth Ice Golems Guide - Snowybois - On Hiatus for 3.8

after trying out both, would you consider MoM to be better or the life based version?

also, is one socket pit enough?
if so, aside from life and taunt, what should i look for in the jewels?
I'm Thu
and I love you
Last edited by Thuuu on Dec 27, 2018, 6:53:36 PM
Thanks for the great guide, very helpful for a first time player. As a noob, I'm sure I'm missing something, but how would something like a Windshriek + Vuln/Enfeeble setup be? It seems pretty good to have Vuln on top of Enfeeble but I didn't even realize there was a base one curse limit until today. Is there any reason to not try for that?
"
Thuuu wrote:
after trying out both, would you consider MoM to be better or the life based version?

Attack Speed is Likely the best dps increase where it really counts (bosses) since the ice bros already tear through trash. Blind is kinda nice if you can get a Blind/Taunt/Life

I went with MoM and haven't tried Life/Acro this league but it's had no real problems getting me into t14-15. I also use 1socket Command; and only got them about the time I started T9+ and had no issue getting through Yellows without them - the accuracy is important once you get into higher level zones though and trying reds without them is noticeable loss of kill speed. Obviously 2 sockets would be ideal but the second socket is largely for the extra defensive cushion the ~50hp and extra suffix brings 1 socket shouldn't stop you from killing anything, albeit a tad slower - I think I'd be looking for a Fossil Crafted Chest next before 2socket Command
"
Thuuu wrote:

I enjoy the life based version more only because I can't find the links to fit blood magic-Flame Dash-Phase run. Without blood magic you can run into the issue where you take a hit, and can't dash/phase run out of it because of the mana degen you're experiencing. On top of that warbanner is such a huge offensive increase for 1 gem it's hard to justify not using it, plus it's easier to gear life based over MoM. All that being said, I WANT to like the MoM based tree more. It's a lot of gained effective hp and i'm still waiting for someone to post their MoM build with that one change that makes me go "AhA! That's what we were missing!"

I don't agree with everyone saying 1 socket pit is enough but that may be okay for MoM builds. In fact as I type this out, that skill gem gained may be where we fit blood magic-flame dash-phase run. I'll have to buy a 1 socket CoP and play around with that. It might turn out that for survivability's sake MoM+1 Socket CoP is the sweet spot.

Here's my stance on Grip vs 1 Socket, the amount of currency you invest in a pit vs a grip on top of losing a gem is ~1 Ex. At the time of writing this grips are 8C, Command of the PIt 1 socket is 1.5 ex. You're spending an ex for a fractional amount of hp gained and 1 utility jewel. My advice again and again has been, just save up your money buy a grip first, upgrade into 2 socket CoP later as 2 abyssal sockets are a huge survivability upgrade both for you and the golems. The life gained from a 1 socket CoP won't help you get the 9 ex fast enough vs just saving that initial Ex to buy a 2 socket CoP.

2 socket CoP is bonkers good for this build because of the utility it brings, but at 9 Ex it's not the smartest way to invest your currency. 1 Socket CoP is nearly identical to grip and 20x the price. I posted a buy order a few pages back for the current economy go give it a look.

Regarding Abyssal Jewels: Your primary damage sources come from stacking levels on the ice golems and harmonies. At high end gear levels once you have a +1 gems chest, 21/20 golem, empower 4 we do absolutely obscene amounts of damage to bosses. Shaper just disappears, Uber elder is a 45 second fight. So all of our currency/other gear should be spent on personal and golem survivability.

It's a pita to resummon your stone/chaos golems in the middle of a dangerous fight. So first goal from our utility jewels is to cap minion resistances.

Our Minions have base 40% elemental resistance, and 20% chaos resistance. So Stone/Chaos need 35% elemental resistance to be capped, we're using victario's already so they need 27% to be capped. That's 3 "minions have 9% resistances" abyss jewels.

After that we want to acquire Blind, Taunt, and Hinder. Secondary things like minion leech, minion attack speed, player resistances/regen are all good.

So our ideal abyssal setup is Flat Life +50, Minions have 10% resistances, and taunt/blind. one in each jewel socket on your CoP leaves you just 8% short of capping the stone/chaos and they shouldn't die except in the Uber Elder fight.

The main thing to remember is to get your utility wherever you can find it, this build is very short on defenses and we are starved to find them wherever we can. We don't need more damage... we do obscene amounts of damage once you have your empowers/gem levels.

One last thing, try to be innovative with how you find those defenses, find the playstyle that fits you. The core of this build is 9 golem life regen and jewel stacking. We need our 6L, and our 4L, we need gem levels, everything else is up for grabs to mix/match however you feel fits best.

CWDT - Phase Run - Frost Wall? Sounds fun!

Don't like hatred? Go Brutality 7L MoM!

Want to run Damage on Full life? Go for it!

Even victario's is up on the chopping block (but it's hard to justify losing 40% damage).

EDIT: Just realized that my stance on grip vs CoP doesn't specify that I mean "While running warbanner+generosity" You need either warbanner, or grip, or 5 points into the minion wheel on the left side. If you don't have at least 1 of these 3 sources of accuracy you feel it while mapping.
Last edited by Utopian238 on Dec 28, 2018, 9:53:48 AM
3.5 MoM Brutality Build!

https://pastebin.com/0WTTqQUW

So after that last post about blood magic I played around a bit with the MoM tree. Going Brutality and Dropping Hatred for the new build, reserving only with Warbanner and Clarity.

In the MoM build gear it sims at ~420k shaper dps per golem instead of ~460k dps per golem.

That small damage loss is probably worth it? Someone else who is already MoM please test this setup and report back! I am working overtime this weekend/next week and will be unable to test it myself.

This setup looks to be like ~6k life | ~2600 unreserved mana and it fixes the issues I had with prior MoM builds not having blood magic links.

(The pastebin has EE and Hatred enabled so that you can swap back/forth between ruthless/brutality and see the damage differences, obviously you would drop these from your tree)
First of all - OP thank you for a great build.

So, I just crafted the chest below and was wondering if the crit chance to attacks does anything for us? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Last edited by hamstereater on Dec 28, 2018, 11:00:25 AM
Hi doods. I've decided to make an ice golemancer and I figured I would post here as I am probably going to do some things differently, but I've got some questions:

1) I'm planning on using this armour:

- I made it for my dom blow/zombie build but didn't like it much. However as I realise the colours are pretty great for ice golem I am considering just reusing it, at least to start off with.

2) Instead of Life, why not CI? It's pretty great vs syndicate as well as temples, as long as you are ok with the playstyle. When golemancers became a thing I used to play CI hexagolems every league until the big ES nerf. Now with delve mods and new crafting bench, getting high es is again not that crazy. Instead of using the queen's hunger, a self-crafted es chest could easily get 700-800 es with a fair investment. That's a lot towards a big health pool. Downside is chance to get stunned. Would probably advocate going towards unwavering stance for that

3) How good is aspect of the avian? Is the flight or fight the more desirable among the mods? Would using the bird boots to lower the duration of one of them be desirable?

Cheers and thanks for the inspiration
"
hamstereater wrote:
First of all - OP thank you for a great build.

So, I just crafted the chest below and was wondering if the crit chance to attacks does anything for us? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Crit does nothing - golem is a spell that has attacks, but it only has the spell tag. Nice chest but my tip would be to craft %quality and 6-link it before you go further
thank you for an in-depth answer to my question

i'll likely be using this build for a lot of future leagues. thank you so much!
I'm Thu
and I love you
"
allana wrote:
Hi doods. I've decided to make an ice golemancer and I figured I would post here as I am probably going to do some things differently, but I've got some questions:

1) I'm planning on using this armour:

- I made it for my dom blow/zombie build but didn't like it much. However as I realise the colours are pretty great for ice golem I am considering just reusing it, at least to start off with.

2) Instead of Life, why not CI? It's pretty great vs syndicate as well as temples, as long as you are ok with the playstyle. When golemancers became a thing I used to play CI hexagolems every league until the big ES nerf. Now with delve mods and new crafting bench, getting high es is again not that crazy. Instead of using the queen's hunger, a self-crafted es chest could easily get 700-800 es with a fair investment. That's a lot towards a big health pool. Downside is chance to get stunned. Would probably advocate going towards unwavering stance for that

3) How good is aspect of the avian? Is the flight or fight the more desirable among the mods? Would using the bird boots to lower the duration of one of them be desirable?

Cheers and thanks for the inspiration

1) If you're just mapping that looks really fun! If you're planning to hit endgame bosses (U. Atziri, U. Elder and the like) You really need +1 levels to chest. The interaction between golem gems and levels is too strong to ignore. It keeps your golems immortal and is a significant increase in dps. You... You can always double corrupt it.... and hit +1 gems for an absolutely insane chest...

2) i haven't tried CI because there's a great Occultist version of this build out there and I feel like it's better for mapping/ES based. I'm focusing on stacking the life regen so that we play like an RF character. Currently sitting at 1300 life regen in my current gear and it feels great.

3) Aspect of the Avian isn't great. It's a 25% reserve for a 20% damage increase 50% of the time. I'm using it because I haven't seen a spider yet and haven't gotten enough mana reserve reduction to run hatred+banner+grace.

TL:DR use spider not avian.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info