[3.5] Chunky Chargrill Chieftain - Incinerate CwC Volatile Dead - [Demigod winning build]

I stream daily at: twitch.tv/celltank

***Update for 3.5 - Betrayal League***
This build will be my league starter in betrayal!
With the changes to how shield charge works using a quick silver flask of adrenaline will give a very nice movement boost while leveling and mapping.

***Update for 3.4 - Delve League***
Bright beak is now nerfed for the shield charge interaction, use a spell sceptre for more sweet sweet dps instead.
Passive tree and levelling image updated for 3.4
Everything else is just as chunky, viable and fun!

Some men just want to watch the world burn... Up Close!
Do you enjoying playing in an aggressive and quick way where you can give a beating but also take one?

Here is a clip of the build while pushing for a Demigod reward in the Incursion Flashback SSF race in a T15 Shaped Belfry against Abaxoth with the map mods of 23% monster damage and 92% extra damage as cold
clips.twitch.tv/BlightedSmallDelicataBlargNaut

This build did go on to win one of the Chieftain Demigod rewards for the SSF Incursion Flashback race as it finished at position 6 of 10 for the rewards.

This build is designed to be a SSF high level mapper with good overall clear speed, good survivability, decent single target damage (with some work from the player) while not relying on any specific gear other than a 5 or 6 link (farm a tabby in blood aquaducts).

This is a very good league starter due to the good balance of damage, surviability and no gear requirements.

There are a few variants to the build which will be detailed later, but the main body of this guide is to cover a very simple and effective version of the build that is easy to get up and running that can be modified as you wish later.

Gear
Spoiler

This build gets pretty much all of the damage from gem links, abyss jewels and the skill tree.
As a result your gear just needs to focus on life and resists.

The current gear for my SSF Incursion Flashback is found here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Cellstorm/characters
The character name is Cell_Immolation

A tabula rasa is highly recommended above any 5 link due to the gem links.

The very best in slot item for this build is a Loreweave chest armour with the 80 all res, life, ele damange, crit chance (to help proc Elemental Overload) and base stats (dexterity can become a small issue). It's just hard to think of a better chest for the build.

The abyss jewels are very important for building flat damage for the skill tree to scale up. Look for Hypnotic Eye jewels and try to buy/craft/find ones with flat fire damage to spells and also flat life on these is very important. If you can also get fire damage while holding a shield then you have perfect jewels for this build.

The old BiS main hand was bright beak, but since this interaction has been changed/nerfed then going for a high base speed weapon with percentage spell/fire damage and also flat elemental damage is ideal.
For this I will be using a sceptre so that leap slam can still be used, but a spell dagger could be used if you can get your hands on a good one, keep in mind that you can't leap slam with a dagger though.

The Flasks I prefer are:
Panicked Divine Life Flask of Staunching
Chemist's Basalt Flask of Grounding
Perpetual Stibnite Flask of Heat (this flask is OP for these type of agressive in the mobs face kind of builds)
Perpetual Sulphur Flask of Warding
The Wise Oak (this can be a mana flask if needed before blasphemy is available)

Skill gems and links
Spoiler

Incinerate - Cast while Channeling - Volatile Dead - Combustion - Controlled Destruction - Fire Penetration (if you only have a 5 link drop fire pen until you get a 6 link)

Shield Charge - Leap Slam - Fortify - Faster Attacks

Desecrate - Spell Cascade - Faster Casting

Warlords Mark - Blaspemy - Herald of Ash

Spell Totem - Desecrate - Faster Casting - Enduring Cry

Blood Rage - Vaal Haste - Vaal Righteous Fire - Increased Duration

Levelling
Spoiler

Bandits - kill all for the 2 points.

Levelling for this build can be a little tricky to begin with, mainly as you do not get the incinerate gem as a marauder until you complete A Fixture of Fate quest for Siosa in the Act 3 Library. Then you do not get the CwC gem until you complete act IV and cannot equip the gem until lvl38. Once you have these though you are good to switch over to the build!

If you are in a trade league, or have other characters you can get the incinerate before then and play the build from the get go. If you cannot get an incinerate gem you can level as Cleave then Sunder as you get a hold of these gems. Sunder requires very little gear and skill tree support early on so you can level into the build while still sundering happily!

This image below shows a finished skill tree for this build.

Fill out the skill tree in the following sections:

Green - Red - Yellow - Blue - Purple

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Take the cheiftain ascendancy points in the following order:

1. Ngamahu, Flame's Advance
2. Hinekora, Death's Fury
3. Tawhoa, Forest's Strength
4. Ramako, Sun's Light

Two and Three can be taken in either order on your own preference.

Pantheon
Spoiler

Major - Soul of Lunaris - Fully Upgraded
Minor - Soul of Shakari - Fully Upgraded

These are my preferred pantheons as they patch out a few of the counters that the current content is likely to throw at you fairly often.

Path of Building link:
https://pastebin.com/ekykuwqP

If you have any questions please ask them here and also feel welcome to stop by my twitch stream, if I am live I am always happy to answer anything there.

Celltank
I stream daily at twitch.tv/CellTank
Last edited by Cellstorm on Dec 11, 2018, 10:26:17 PM
Last bumped on Dec 12, 2018, 3:10:32 PM
Coming soon:

Build variants including:
1. A blade vortex gem swap with volatile dead for BIG BOII boss damage.

2. Righteous Fire squeezed into a good helm along side all of the other things in the build (it will be very gear intensive but this could be insane).
Last edited by Cellstorm on Aug 23, 2018, 4:50:58 PM
Did a bit of leveling with it, surprisingly fun.

Will try it as a league starter in delve, not having to trade for uniques for a while is nice.

I'm curious how you'll squeeze in righteous fire. I used VRF for boss bursting and that worked well enough (although I killed myself with it plenty too...)
One small update for the new league has been added into the main guide.

***Update for 3.4 - Delve League***
Bright beak is now nerfed for the shield charge interaction, use a spell sceptre for more sweet sweet dps instead.
Passive tree and levelling image updated for 3.4
Everything else is just as chunky, viable and fun!
Last edited by Cellstorm on Sep 3, 2018, 7:28:39 AM
Why are you using Incinerate and not using scorching ray ?
I've not played Chieftain much at all and only then as a totem build so I think i'll start Delve with this and see how it goes - looks like a lot of fun. Can you explain the double desecrate - is it because it has 3 (i think) charges and so running two makes sure it's always up?
I got this build from your stream and played it during the Incursion Event. It was a LOT of fun and I could see BV being a good boss swap.

Vaal Impurity of fire and Vaal Righteous fire would be amazing on this build together if you can find the itemization needed to add them.
"
Completed 7 Challengescrunchyspider wrote:
I've not played Chieftain much at all and only then as a totem build so I think i'll start Delve with this and see how it goes - looks like a lot of fun. Can you explain the double desecrate - is it because it has 3 (i think) charges and so running two makes sure it's always up?

One desecrate is self cast and the other is on a spell totem, to be honest the totem is very very rarely needed but not bad to drop in a corner for extra corpses in some situations.

Also, please post here how it get's on for you in delves, as i'm very curious as to how this will play/feel down in the depths!
Last edited by Cellstorm on Aug 31, 2018, 2:12:25 PM
"
Completed 5 ChallengesM0GUL wrote:
Why are you using Incinerate and not using scorching ray ?

Very early in the build design and testing I experimented with scorching ray, both as my self cast channelling skill and also as a debuffing skill on the spell totem. Neither felt as good to me as incinerating did, but you could certainly swap it out and see which you prefer.
"
Completed 9 ChallengesTrespeon wrote:
I got this build from your stream and played it during the Incursion Event. It was a LOT of fun and I could see BV being a good boss swap.

Vaal Impurity of fire and Vaal Righteous fire would be amazing on this build together if you can find the itemization needed to add them.

Shaper was killed today with the BV swap, it felt pretty smooth too.

I think you are totally right about the VRF, I have a bit of a 'dream gear PoB' i'm putting together where I use a pseudo 5link RF as a helmet. It really needs top tier GG gear though, nothing i'm likely to get in SSF without so very focused effort.

If I ever get it working in game i'll be sure to check the VRF. In fact I think VRF may work right now with how good the regen and leech feels, I would have to do some testing to be sure.
Last edited by Cellstorm on Aug 31, 2018, 2:13:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info