Why do people get vaccines? Don't they research the ingredients?

"
Turtledove wrote:
Here's my summary of this thread.

Vaccines are good. Vaccines have significantly improved public health. People generally accept these improvements unconsciously and with little thought to the status quo. There are a few crazy people. There will always be a few crazy people.

What about if a company making the vaccine waters it down to make more money or they change the chemical composition because it's cheaper? What if those changes causes some people to have negative reactions to those modified vaccines?

TL:DR It's always good to do a bit a research in what you're putting into your body. Preferably academic resources and not from social sciences papers.
"
Turtledove wrote:
Depends on the situation, for example. Polio and Small Pox would likely still be problems if the vaccines had been completely optional. Another example, vaccines are not 100% successful. However, when almost everyone in a population gets a vaccine then it comes as close to possible to being 100% successful.

A perfect article explaining this situation that I tried to explain above.

The Chickenpox vaccine is 90% effective. If everyone got the vaccine then coverage would be very close to 100%. In North Carolina there's a chickenpox outbreak caused by exemptions.

North Carolina chickenpox outbreak blamed on vaccination exemptions
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Mentoya wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Yeah, it's weird. I pay for insurance but have never crashed my car. Maybe I should stop paying for insurance...

I don't think that analogy is the same. If you research it you can see that many vaccines have actually caused a person to get the condition they were trying to prevent in the first place.... That happens with animal vaccines all the time.

The ones that used a live virus, or partially disabled virus can potentially cause the illness. The flu shots for the last several years are only fragments and can't cause the flu. The reaction they cause might feel similar to the flu for some people, because the shot is triggering the immune system to respond. The immune system is multilayered, so some people will get slight fevers and other symptoms as the body reacts - thinking it is actually infected. How much it responds, depends on the person.

The one reaction that is consistent*, is that the person produces B antibodies that recognize the 3 or 4 flu versions in the shot. When a person is exposed to a real infection by one of those 3 or 4 flu versions, it can respond MUCH faster and usually prevent or at least minimize a flu infection.

* If someone is neutropenic, undergoing chemotherapy, or otherwise has a limited immune response, their ability to produce B antibodies will be lessened. In most cases, they are still better off getting a vaccine.

If someone is currently sick with a cold, flu or something else, it is generally recommended that you get better before getting a vaccine.

It also takes about 3 weeks for the flu vaccine to build up to its full immunity potential, so if you are exposed during that time, you can still get the flu. It definitely isn't a perfect system, but for most people it is better than catching the flu.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
Mentoya wrote:
I'm not saying that ALL vaccines don't work, but some don't. Like I said, I've only had 3 flu shots my entire life and all 3 years I got the shot, I got the flu. I stopped getting flu shots years ago, and what do you, like magic, no flu since then!!! Imagine that lol....

Are you getting it at the beginning of flu season? (season runs from September 1st through April).

I used to get the shot sporadically when it was only partially paid for by insurance, and whether I got the flu was hit or miss as well. When I did catch the flu, it was within a week or two of having the shot.

I learned later it can take 2-3 weeks to give you the full immunity potential.

I think I've been consistent in getting the flu shot the last 10 years, and had the flu 3 of those years (including last year, which was a BIG miss against H3N2). I've also been exposed to lots and lots of people, many of them sick with the flu.

If you get to the doctor within 2-3 days of flu symptoms, Tamiflu can sometimes help reduce the severity of the flu and slightly shorten the duration. Not all insurance covers it, and it's expensive if not covered. After 3 days, Tamiflu won't help.

There may be another factor involved, but I want to check with an expert first. I should be able to find out by the end of the week.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
Turtledove wrote:
Here's my summary of this thread.

Vaccines are good. Vaccines have significantly improved public health. People generally accept these improvements unconsciously and with little thought to the status quo. There are a few crazy people. There will always be a few crazy people.

Skepticism can be a good thing. Vaccines are one of those areas where there are honest skeptics, and professional doomsayers that make a living selling alternatives to vaccines.

Talk with your doctor about what is best for you, and when you make the appointment - let them know you will need another 15 minutes as you will have questions. When the time is booked accordingly, the doctor should be able to answer all your questions.

If the time isn't booked, the doctor may not be able to go over it as much as they should - depending on their patient load that day.

Artichoked on my coffee.
"
鬼殺し wrote:

I can't help it. I romaine a hopeless salad freak even though it's well documented that salad is Russian Roulette to immuno-suppressed folk. Sucks. :(

E coli is the reason so grow your own veggies (lots of people do). At least if you grow it yourself you know someone has not taken a shit on it.

"
Turtledove wrote:
A perfect article explaining this situation that I tried to explain above.

The Chickenpox vaccine is 90% effective. If everyone got the vaccine then coverage would be very close to 100%. In North Carolina there's a chickenpox outbreak caused by exemptions.

North Carolina chickenpox outbreak blamed on vaccination exemptions

You beat me to it! I saw that story and was going to post a link. And chickenpox is a joke disease compared to some of the real horror movie stuff we get vaccinated for.

Yeah, saw a funny meme today about folks throwing away lettuce when the CDS says so yet they think the CDS is evil incarnate about the vax stuff.

Loons.
Censored.
Sorry about the delayed reply, but not sorry. I've been busy.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
There's also the psychological angle, the 'normalisation' of something not so long ago considered all but ludicrous. Every anti-vaxxer, especially one who presents as otherwise somehow sane, has a chance of infecting someone else with their ridiculous views.

That's the problem with this stuff. It's alluring on its surface and it appeals to our base desire for a simpler explanation. Gives you a nice big bad to focus on: big pharma, government, science!, etc. The psychological effect, though, is really not much different to what happens when a person falls under the sway of a cult. Limited information, desire for confirmation of stance, vulnerability to suave but fallacious arguments and claims.

That first one, limited information, isn't really the case anymore though. If anything, we have the opposite problem: too much information, little to no vetting. Few of us are anywhere near educated or expert enough to properly parse it all so the instinct is to grab onto the view we like most. Especially if so-called professionals in the field are espousing it.

I find that's a bit of a copout though. Even when I trawled so-called neutral sites, the tone and bias came through with even a light reading. And that's when I realised something regarding these issues. Something that we've lost, because we believe democratisation of information is, nearly without exception, a good thing. This is what I realised:

Giving voice to the inherently irrational is in and of itself irrational. And when I say 'inherently' I don't mean things I merely disagree with. I mean things that crumble under even slight historical scrutiny and yet have fervent defences set up that mostly appeal to populism and that aforementioned appeal to basic desire for simple explanations and easy targets for blame.

"The world is flat!"
"What? Really? But...what?"
"Sure, the government has been lying to you!"
"...well, no one trusts politicians, really, huh, you might have a point..."

And so begins the process of indoctrination. You take a base common sentiment and you worm your agenda into it, all the while gently eroding already fragile defences against the insanity underpinning that agenda.

This holds for anything from suicide cults to alt-right to antifa to flatearthers to anti-vaxxing...it's not about ignorance, it's about exploitation.

And this wasn't really a big problem until the internet came along and unified the dangerously stupid, gave psychological predators a huge pool of potential victims. Never before has the onus of resisting all these micro-madnesses so solidly rested on the individual...and yet, also thanks to the Internet, never before have we had so many people unprepared for the onslaught of seductive bullshit exposed to it.

But the biggest problem is how easily history is swept aside when we have so much present to deal with. You have a virtual Library of Alexandria at your fingertips and you mostly spend it in the gossip-and-conspiracy-theories-of-Everyday-Alexandria section.

Yeah, we know Polio was bad. WAS. But you know what's worse? Autism. Because autism is still around. And big pharma.

That's fucked logic but I can guarantee it's what drives crap like this thread. I'd conclude with a quote about forgetting the past and being doomed to repeat it but that's just another was. What's the point?

Ever forward, comrades! Don't look back!
Oh, so we're against free speech now. That's just precious.

I hope the irony isn't lost on you that you're advocating cutting off people's exposure to admittedly problematic and admittedly infectious ideas, such that such people have no training in defense against said ideas, in a thread whose main topic is vaccination. I mean for fuck's sake, when you see the meme "I tried to debunk flat earth, that's why I believe flat earth" do you seriously think that's a 100% pure absurdity? By not exposing children to safe doses of dangerous ideas, we are failing to develop their critical thinking skills to the extent that the products of our indoctrination systems are like strawmen for the propagandists of falsehood to casually knock over. There IS some validity to the critique of heliocentric belief as dogma, even if the counternarrative the critics tend to advance in its stead is pure horse shit.

Flat Earth — or, simultaneously more broadly and more precisely, systems of Biblical creationist apologetics — should be taught in school. Not as the dogmatic truth nor without a generous dose of irony, but in a historical recreation of ideological battles long since fought and won by the side that deserved to. As you pointed out, history is important, to include, in proper moderation, having the new generations taste those debates of old.

However, such learning experiences are at best hindered and at worst impossible in an atmosphere of political correctness. The person who tries on an antiquated and wrong idea for size, just to see how it fits (or fails to) — or merely appears to do so — is not greeted with arguments. They are unfriended, shadowbanned, ostracized... or worse, fired, domain-deregistered, prohibited from Internet electronic funds transfers, and fined £800. This is the opposite of debate — it is bullying and the prevention of debate, by any means necessary. It's an ideological quarantine so severe that the cultural equivalent of a vaccination is deemed to great a threat to the public welfare to dare be permitted, and so strictly enforced that those who would peddle such potions are forced outside the safety of the walls.

And then you wonder why resistance to these types of crackpot theories is so low. Maybe you should take a gander at the anti-vaxxer in the mirror. I think TheLightShinesOn could get you yet.

But hey, don't feel too bad about yourself. If 4chan is any indication, there is a link between ideological vaccination and suspiciously high levels of autism. You wouldn't want your kids to end up like that, so it's your duty as a feminist to shield them completely and forever from the aluminum foil hats.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 22, 2018, 1:58:08 AM
The problem isn't anything to do with censorship of free speech, that's a red herring.

It's the lack of critical thinking, something that is taught at an early age in schools.

Or at least it used to be, to a greater extent.

I mean, science has this thinking 'built-in'. All we have to do is encourage more people into science, and it's a done deal.

The anti-scientific sentiment of people in 2018 is astonishing. I keep reading that nerds and geekiness is 'in', whatever the f that means, then I read the news and unsurprisingly 'great' figures of state are pandering to the lowest common denominator and pretending they passed basic science classes when talking about rain being 'very wet' and climate change not man-made and/or nothing to worry about.

I give up.

"
rojimboo wrote:
I read the news and unsurprisingly 'great' figures of state are pandering to the lowest common denominator and pretending they passed basic science classes when talking about rain being 'very wet' and climate change not man-made and/or nothing to worry about.

I give up.
It's a matter of (paleo-)climatological fact that the Earth would be warming currently even if humans were not on it, therefore some percentage of global warming is NOT man-made. Also, clearly some percentage of it IS man-made. Neither side of the anthropogenic argument is entirely wrong, although it would seem one side is more correct than the other.

Denying the overall warming trend, however, is simply batshit. It might not be as imminent an apocalypse as some doomsayers predict, but it's coming sooner or later, without question.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info