XP loss on death suggestions.

For me I feel the penalty of losing a portal and thus a chance to beat the boss/map is penalty enough. The experience lost is just a kick in the balls/cooch.

If someone has a crap build what does taking away experience ACTUALLY accomplish? You supporters say it is a motivation, but what it really is for most people is demotivation to continue playing past a certain point.
Last edited by Bioness on Jul 23, 2018, 2:48:17 PM
"
NemoJr wrote:
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
"
smtad wrote:

Exp per hour is still not fair for casual players. For example, a player play PoE a hr a day. If you set death penalty to 10 hr exp lose, this player would lose 10 day progress per death.

If you want to set penalty to exp per hour, it must include non-playing time.

Great googly moogly I sure hope you do not work in an engineering field.

Listen up - if your imaginary friend plays an equivalent hour a day for 10 days, and then dies, then he loses a day of play time to that death - not all 10 friggin days. That is what the PER HOUR part means.

Read the posts again, paying attention to the parts I underlined.

Not that I'm in favor of a time-related solution; just wanted to point out the misunderstanding.

Misunderstandings happen, and are totally fine, but your attitude leaves something to be desired.

---

Edit:

"Great googly moogly I sure hope you do not work in Public Relations."

Heh.

Thanks Mr. White Knight. Well done. Are you the "attitude" police now?

I could point out that your damsel quoted an exp per hour post, but whatever. You could try and read the post and realize the part you underlined was misworded gobbledygook as related to their first statement (exp per hour not fair!) as well as their final statement (exp per hour but including non-playing time!) but also, whatever. You just keep on keeping on, man.

Misunderstandings....huh!

Also, I just wanted to add that I have been supportive of an exp penalty proportionate to the exp gain at that level rather than the flat 10% for years. My accessible post history fully endorses that.
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
Thanks Mr. White Knight. Well done. Are you the "attitude" police now?

I could point out that your damsel quoted an exp per hour post, but whatever. You could try and read the post and realize the part you underlined was misworded gobbledygook as related to their first statement (exp per hour not fair!) as well as their final statement (exp per hour but including non-playing time!) but also, whatever. You just keep on keeping on, man.

Misunderstandings....huh!

Also, I just wanted to add that I have been supportive of an exp penalty proportionate to the exp gain at that level rather than the flat 10% for years. My accessible post history fully endorses that.

At first I thought it was an honest mistake, and that you simply got overexcited about it. But you're still not reading and you still have an attitude problem. In addition, your last minute (failed) effort to turn it into a mature and on-topic post is adorable.

What's not adorable is your tactical removal of certain parts of my post. If you're going to quote a page long post, you might as well quote the whole damn thing. Yes, I'm the "quote police" now.

We're done here.
____________________________________________________________________________________

- Self-proclaimed king of level 172 budget builds -
"Security token has expired. Please submit the form again."
____________________________________________________________________________________
"
smtad wrote:
My brother and my friends quit this game because of death penalty.

A death took away their more than 1 month progress

a death in the low 90s is like 5 maps of xp maybe? So if they were in the low 90s then they were running 5 maps a month?

Willing to bet at most they were in the 80s somewhere where a death is like 2 maps worth of xp....

more than 1 months progress...

k

"
smtad wrote:
"
Stop dying.

Stop dying = skip dangerous content, skip boss fight = boring and then quit.

or learn to play the game and make a character that doesnt need to skip bosses? I think thats the actual idea, sadly the concept of getting better at the game is somehow lost on people now days.

"
Bioness wrote:

If someone has a crap build what does taking away experience ACTUALLY accomplish? You supporters say it is a motivation, but what it really is for most people is demotivation to continue playing past a certain point.

if thats true then theyre the sort of people who shouldnt be playing a game like this, or any good game at all tbh. If it doesnt motivate ppl to make a better character because they have been raised playing virtual movies where no skill, no need to understand or be good at anything is involved and they cant get their head around the idea that they might need to actually try to be better at the game then its not for them.

This is an actual game, there is still an element of winning and losing, if they cant grasp the idea of being able to lose through their own fault then its just not for them, real games arnt for them, they want a movie experience, might as well stick to netflix if they dont want their input to the experience to actually matter.

reroll, make a better character next time. Thats such a fundamental concept to poe that I dont understand what anyone who rejects this idea is doing here in the first place.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

a death in the low 90s is like 5 maps of xp maybe? So if they were in the low 90s then they were running 5 maps a month?

What kind of maps are you running where a death in the 90s is 5 maps?
often it is a set back of about 7 t12+ at 90 and increasing by 3 per level after.
But that is if you have the maps to begin with to continue pushing at that level.

Now you have to consider the psychological impact it has on the player , resulting in them playing less because they just saw all their progress for the last while and investment dissapear. So now they have to farm back the maps and are in a hurry as they want to play the game.

It is not just a matter of learning to play , as not everyone has a dedicated support char their buffing their defenses. The game is known to have random damage spikes. There are also times where you grow bored and want to do a more engaging encounter.
You say make a character to kill bosses, but many characters that kill bosses are just abusing a skill that does so without actually having to engage the boss.

The game should welcome players who want to experiment - as it is marketed as a game of diversity even though to do end content you are pigeon holed into certain builds. The type of people the game does not need are those who feel the need to put down others due to their elitism, while at the same time having not accomplished much on their own.

The penalty is too harsh at higher levels , this is due to there not being adequate ways to gain exp at the higher levels. So they should rework the minimum experience gains , or they should rework the penalty on death to be offset by something other then time.

As you said this is a game, and a game should never make players feel like it is not worth playing.

"
nadakuu wrote:

What kind of maps are you running where a death in the 90s is 5 maps?
often it is a set back of about 7 t12+ at 90 and increasing by 3 per level after.
But that is if you have the maps to begin with to continue pushing at that level.

you can get 2% xp from a map at lvl90.

"
nadakuu wrote:

It is not just a matter of learning to play , as not everyone has a dedicated support char their buffing their defenses.

you dont need a support char to survive maps.

"
nadakuu wrote:

The game should welcome players who want to experiment - as it is marketed as a game of diversity even though to do end content you are pigeon holed into certain builds.

certain builds, yes, if those certain builds are simply builds that work. It does encourage players who want to experiment, they experiment and find out what works, and then do it. People who dont want to experiment are the ones having the issues with xp because theyre not trying to make better builds that survive, they want to keep playing the same flawed build and have the game allow them to progress without needing to change anything. They dont want to experiment and find solutions to the problems, they just want the devs to change the game so that the problems can be ignored because they have no real impact.
"
vmt80 wrote:

Oh, by the way it is very illuminating how the right answer to the question given above was 'people should quit if they don't like it'. Sure, one can go that route aswell.

yeah, they can, and probably should.

Theres a million games out there right now for players who dont want challenge, who dont want to face difficulty, who just want the entire game to play itself and they win without having to actually try. Those games are everywhere. Its like walking down a street with 100 shops in a row selling apples, and theres 1 shop at the end of the street selling oranges. Man walks into the 1 orange selling shop and says hey, I hate oranges, I just want apples, I demand you stop selling oranges and starting selling apples.

"
Punishment is a demotivational factor. If anything, it motivates people to play safe, also known as play cookie cutter builds, or not play at all.

so you say it doesnt motivate, it removes motivation, but then list what it motivates people to do...

You say make cookie cutter builds. Yeah they could do that, or they could learn to play the game the way the people who designed those cookie cutter builds did and make their own builds that function in the same way.

Welcome to the game, thats the play here, making builds and putting them together. Removing the mechanics that give meaning to build and gear choices for people who dont want their choices to have meaning? You dont see anything wrong with that? Its like saying first person shooters should all have enforced aimbots as standard because some people dont want to aim and feel bad when they cant win the game without having to aim at things.

This is agame for people who want build and gear choices to have meaning, fps games are for people who want to aim, games have audiences they are built for. Yes, I would argue that not all games are for all people and some should just go elsewhere, and do, and thats fine. 5 years of death penalty, game has kept growing, people have gone elsewhere, thats fine, game isnt for everyone, its doing fine with the people who it is for, people who want to have reasons to give a shit about the choices they made when putting their character together.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

or learn to play the game and make a character that doesnt need to skip bosses? I think thats the actual idea, sadly the concept of getting better at the game is somehow lost on people now days.

[...]

This is an actual game, there is still an element of winning and losing, if they cant grasp the idea of being able to lose through their own fault then its just not for them, real games arnt for them, they want a movie experience, might as well stick to netflix if they dont want their input to the experience to actually matter.

Just wanted to quote thisfor truth, seriously.

And also to point out that as the OP is < lvl 80, he clearly needs to understands the game better, rerolling is a natural process in PoE.
Maybe he can respec his character later, like when he will get a free respec.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jul 25, 2018, 12:50:21 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

Willing to bet at most they were in the 80s somewhere where a death is like 2 maps worth of xp....
more than 1 months progress...
k

Why did you so underestimate people who are not on your side? In standard, you have much time to level, your progress would not be reset every season.

In fact, they're 95+, they tried to challenge to level to 100 at first. But they gave up because this game is so boring and pathetic map dropping.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

certain builds, yes, if those certain builds are simply builds that work. It does encourage players who want to experiment, they experiment and find out what works, and then do it. People who dont want to experiment are the ones having the issues with xp because theyre not trying to make better builds that survive, they want to keep playing the same flawed build and have the game allow them to progress without needing to change anything. They dont want to experiment and find solutions to the problems, they just want the devs to change the game so that the problems can be ignored because they have no real impact.

If you want to lean how to experiment, you can go playing hardcore.

Softcore means softcore, it means you can play "softly."

And in fact, most people who argued against death penalty did not ask to remove penalty. They just think 10% exp penalty is too severe.

I do not, either. I agree to have alternative penalty or some penalty avoidance items like Dark Souls.
Last edited by smtad on Jul 25, 2018, 1:05:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info