XP loss on death suggestions.

Am one of those guys that cant stand you loose xp on death, am quitting the game because of this frustration.

These is some choices when you make a new character, like untradable items, hardcore, incursions etc. Why not make a choice when you start a new game with no xp loss on death for the softcore players?

I think alot of people have quit the game because of this frustration, because of no progression.
Last bumped on Jul 28, 2019, 12:43:43 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
because they want you to improve your build not ignore everything
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
It also depends on how you define "progression", doesn't it?

I mean, I play at such a slow rate that, at some point, leveling further up is no longer an option for me because it takes so long and any death will cause me to lose not days, but weeks or even months of playing (not actual net playing time, obviously, but "gross" time).

Does this mean that progress has stopped, though? Well, leveling progress with that particular character sure has stopped. But I can still try higher-tier and harder maps and map mods, I could try Elder/Shaper or Atziri, Hall of Grandmasters (well, probably not - but you might), and so forth. I can still upgrade gear if I find better stuff. This, in turn, might enable me to take on even more difficult challenges.

Heck, even re-rolling, finding better stuff with a different character (or acquiring the currency to buy better, build-enabling gear) is a form of progress in my view.*

Of course, if you're one of the people who already own everything there is to own and casually farm shaper / Uber Elder / Uber Atziri with one hand tied behind your back, then you may indeed have no more progress to look forward to.

Just for the record, I'm not enthusiastic about the XP penalty, either, but this is mainly because what was supposed to be a penalty for making playing mistakes all too often ends up being a punishment for bad Internet connection, server hiccups, system lags, etc. - in other words, things you can't always control. If the game was offline and ran smoothly all the time, the XP penalty would at least serve its actual intended purpose.

* By the way, I think playing SSF greatly increases the sense of progression because you need to make ends meet with what you happen to find rather than shopping for the exact stuff you want and just playing it to wherever you peak out. A single find may open up new possibilities and cause you to return to a character that used to hit a brick wall before. I find it quite rewarding, but I realise you need to live with a lot of limitations, and it's not everyone's taste.
"
Delekhan wrote:
Am one of those guys that cant stand you loose xp on death, am quitting the game because of this frustration.

These is some choices when you make a new character, like untradable items, hardcore, incursions etc. Why not make a choice when you start a new game with no xp loss on death for the softcore players?

I think alot of people have quit the game because of this frustration, because of no progression.

Yes, dying in the late 80's and in the 90's gets frustrating. What I've found is that if I'm dying a lot while trying to level I'm pushing too high in the content. I scale back, gear up, level up, then move up. It takes patience and that's a rare commodity in an ARPG but it saves me some frustration. Also, I recommend skipping most map bosses while leveling up. The rewards are usually not worth the risk and certainly the XP is not. I find that for myself it helps if I keep my focus on just grinding XP instead of trying to do all content. I skip high risk stuff unless there is a guaranteed payoff or it's a rare encounter (like finding a litch boss). In those cases I just accept that I might die 5 times and make an judgement for myself... is the potential reward worth losing that much XP? If so, then I do it and accept the consequences without getting frustrated.

For other things, like running breaches or doing corrupted maps for the challenge, I save that stuff until my build is basically complete. Usually around 90-93. 93 is the highest I go. I get so freaking bored by that point that grinding to 94 just isn't worth it to me. That's when I start doing the fun and, for me, really hard shit like shaper, elder, etc. I don't care so much about dying at that point.

Having said all that, sometimes I find the best thing when I get frustrated with POE is to just take a break until the next league. Maybe in your case that is the best thing. You can rethink your strategy on leveling up and maybe take a more measured and safe approach that doesn't leave you frustrated next go 'round. Either way, best of luck.

POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
This xp loss is just ridicelous that's all if people want to progress and just have fun and want to choose a new game without xp loss in incursion, and want a bigger player base why not give them it?

Xp loss i just ridicelous and frustration. If you want to be hardcore fine by me choose hardcore, i just want to enjoy the game softcore and just enjoy grinding gear and progress with levling and grow stronger.
Stop dying.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
I bet you would hate to learn what happens to hardcore characters when they die.
"
Delekhan wrote:
if people want [...] game without xp loss

Then people should search for such type of game in the internet.

"
Delekhan wrote:
i just want to enjoy the game softcore and just enjoy grinding gear and progress with levling and grow stronger.

Ok, enjoy it.
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
The game needs to revisit this penalty as it only steers players away from playing the game into gamining the game - in essense you play low level content with no risk and die of boredom.
The game should encourage running harder content.
The penalty - should have a way to circumvent it with something other than increasing amounts of loss time. This can be achieved in a few ways.
1) increasing experience gained on maps depending on mod combinations.
2) increasing minimum experience gained on maps by map tier.
3) vastly increase boss xp and chance of it dropping maps (making them worth the risk)
4) allow players to purchase an orb from a master at a cost of regrets to regain the last lost xp.
5) change it from a flat 10% to the last x instances ran (say 4). This would increase the penalty when leveling and tapper down as you reach end game. ie you lose the exp from the last 4 maps ran.

The point is , there are many better solutions in modern gaming then to keep this lazy archaic design feature that serves only to make players not play the game. If they are not playing they are also not interested in buying mtx.
Ok. It is first time i play the game i reach lvl 73 as occultist, problem is am gimped because of the skill tree, i can't do any more temples because i deal to low damage because the drops of good gear is low.

I can't lvl anymore and gain more skills for skill tree to gain more power, i can't respec because i used all my respec stones/books.

I been lvl 73 for 1 week now trying to find some descend gear. i refuse to buy and trade gears because i want to enjoy to find it myself. I want to lvl i want to respec the tree how i want to i want to gain xp without dying.

GIVE US THE CHOICE to choose a new game without death xp penalty what is the problem with that?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info