Uber lab traps

"
Pyrokar wrote:
Game developer: "we based our trap design on popular games from our childhood. For example this gauntlet is named the frogger gauntlet."

??????
I never saw a dev post saying such a thing. Can you post a link to it? Or did you just make it up for argument’s sake?

There is one thing that always bothers me about the frogger comparison. Frogger is unforgiving. You can’t mitigate damage in frogger. One mistake and you’re dead. In the lab getting hit by a trap isn’t instant death. You can do things to mitigate or power through the traps. So in that sense the lab is much more forgiving than frogger.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on Jul 19, 2018, 12:19:35 PM
It was in the game conference they held in one of the slides of their slide show. They actually went up there and said: "Hey guys we put frogger into our game!"

And they said it with a straight face. What the hell.

I think this is sauce https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1824790? If it isn't Google it.

I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on Jul 19, 2018, 1:24:31 PM
"
Pyrokar wrote:
It was in the game conference they held in one of the slides of their slide show. They actually went up there and said: "Hey guys we put frogger into our game!"

And they said it with a straight face. What the hell.

I think this is sauce https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1824790? If it isn't Google it.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. A bit more below.

"
The Prison had some of the earliest gauntlets we designed. This one is affectionately nicknamed the "Frogger" gauntlet.

Players dodge the first sentry, run over the automatic spikes while they're down, then try not to get run over by the sentries in the lanes while waiting to run into the next one.

It's one of our few totally symmetrical gauntlets, and we used that to our advantage. Players who recognize the pattern can anticipate the flying blade sentry on the other side of the gauntlet.

Actually, the truth is that Frogger is a much better game to play than lab trap gauntlets, IMHO. Primarily because the keyboard is a far super input device for this type of game play than the mouse.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Phaeded wrote:
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
"
It's embarrassing if you die to traps.

I have reached a point in my PoE experience where the true challenge of the Uber Lab for most of my builds is not the boss, it is the sheer monotony of negotiating the Lab.

As such, I actually still occasionally die to traps, due to inattention or laziness just trying to bull through a gauntlet.

And I am, indeed, embarrassed. You can't spell embarrass without Ass.

P.S. to the OP - you probably just hit a shitty lab layout. Wait until tomorrow. Occasionally the random design will throw out an especially egregious trap gauntlet that seems impossible and you cannot avoid. Or several, for that matter.

I don't get embarrassed, I get pissed. I really, really, really, really dislike the traps in the lab. I would go so far as to say I literally hate them. Meaning I would kill them if I met them in real life and I was adequately armed. But, I also realize that they aren't going anywhere so I just cuss them and move on.

What I really dislike about the lab is the fact that full character progression is gated behind something that so many players genuinely dislike, or even hate, and it's so non-ARPG. I think having the loot and enchants and all of that behind uber lab is pretty cool and that folks that like the lab can get those rewards that way. But for those of us with no desire for the other rewards we should have a less obnoxious way of getting our ascendancy points. I mean, if I had a way to get ascendancy points that actually blocked me from ever entering the lab I would jump at it. I have no desire to run the lab for any reward whatsoever so give me an alternative and block me from the other rewards and I'm totally fine with that.

Killing someone because you dislike a gamemechanic is embarrassing.
Lab traps do too much damage to minions, especially some traps that can cause bleeding (ex. big vertically chopping blade, it's really a nightmare for minions).

I can't use spectres to run lab, because my spectres probably die in traps.
"
smtad wrote:
Lab traps do too much damage to minions, especially some traps that can cause bleeding (ex. big vertically chopping blade, it's really a nightmare for minions).

I can't use spectres to run lab, because my spectres probably die in traps.

Those Blade Bleed Traps are Bugged.. And they have been bugged apparently for quite some time now (Since at least Harbinger to my knowledge but that was my first summoner) The best thing for any minion build though for running lab by far is simply bring along a 5-6L Bloodbond chest and use Blood Offering and it will litteraly be impossible for your minions (As well as you if you use Necromancer) to ever die to lab traps since they will out regen anything. Something i found on my last summoner in Abyss.

Worked VERY fucking well after running uber lab like 8 fucking times in 2 days and both days had those god damn traps in one to two rooms each day (First build of the league) ...After fucking ripping that many runs including two carry's.. I finally landed on that solution which not only work extremely well but is a pretty easy swap into if you have not go your 6L Vis Mortis chest yet. Last dedicated Lab farmer i made ended up being that very build.

But, yeah this is a pretty serious bug IMO but apparently after countless bug reports even from fucking well known Streamers its still not fixed for going on a year now that i know of maybe even longer than that.. Anyway. Give it try. Cheers. \m/

There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
"
SuperMotte wrote:

You're right, but please read it again. I didn't say I would kill a PERSON. I would kill the traps. Easy to misread that as me wanting to kill the person that created them but I chose my words carefully and wrote what I meant. I would kill an inanimate object... a lab trap. M'kay?
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
Last edited by Phaeded on Jul 20, 2018, 3:09:22 PM
"
Phaeded wrote:
"
SuperMotte wrote:

You're right, but please read it again. I didn't say I would kill a PERSON. I would kill the traps. Easy to misread that as me wanting to kill the person that created them but I chose my words carefully and wrote what I meant. I would kill an inanimate object... a lab trap. M'kay?

I took his statement as a stupid joke by slightly twisted I_No's comment.

"
It's embarrassing if you die to traps.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Phaeded wrote:
"
SuperMotte wrote:

I totaly understood that you meant to kill the trap.
But to kill the trap it has to be alive and not necessary a person / human so you kill a living being just out of anger from your own inability to evade them.
M'kay?
"
SuperMotte wrote:
... so you kill a living being just out of anger from your own inability to evade them.

I routinely kill scores of mosquitoes because I cannot evade them. Does that make me eeeeevil?
May your maps be bountiful, exile

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info