Please help with my build

"
Pangaearocks wrote:
Naturally, if people take a look at the character and equipment and have good ideas for upgrades, I'm all ears. I've got a decent chunk of currency now so should be able to upgrade some stuff as long as it doesn't cost many exalts a piece.

You can try to get better gloves.

You should be looking for spiked gloves with resists you need, nice life, added physical damage and attack speed or open suffix to craft it.

You need to get decent amount of intelligence to replace the amulet so probably nice ring with intel.

You need steel ring 60+ life, 40+ intel, 35+ singl resist with an extra added physical damage or open prefix to craft it
just an example of such steel ring

You can replace your amulet easier then.

You could replace your boots eventually (it should be easier to deal with resistances on other equip)
Your boot enchant is nice but rather useless for your physical build.
(lf 80+life, 25+ run, double high resist with chaos or open suffix).

The links above are just an examples of such search. Play with parametres to get the best deal.
You should be able to get all pieces for around 1 ex each or even less (ofc depending on stats).

I would upgrade the gloves and boots at the first place and get the missing resist from rings.
Last edited by Rakiii on Jul 13, 2018, 7:18:20 AM
"
Rakiii wrote:
The links above are just an examples of such search. Play with parametres to get the best deal.
You should be able to get all pieces for around 1 ex each or even less (ofc depending on stats).

I would upgrade the gloves and boots at the first place and get the missing resist from rings.

Have looked at gear for probably 2 hours trying to find good and affordable combos. For around 200 chaos I can gain around 16k DPS (or 5-6%) and 200 life - while keeping resistances topped up pre-endurance charges. Tbh that doesn't really seem worth it, spending practically all my chaos on mostly sideways moves.

Some of the gear does look pretty nice, but when I import them into PoB the gains are fairly marginal :-/
GZ for reaching lvl90 :)

Seems like you reached your lvl softcap as well as your gear softcap for now.
You could always go for more, if you really wanted or call it a day and do something else instead.
Like working on challenges or trying to beat bosses like atziri.

At some point you will hit the wall anyways, because you are not experienced enough yet to reliably accumulate more xp for another lvl or more currency to get good enough gear to make a real difference.

Thats totally up to you. Do whatever you like.
This is the beauty and the bane of this game at the same time, because there will never be a point where you actually complete the game. There will always be stuff you could do, if you wanted but the grind towards better stuff will get harder and harder over time.

My offer still stands: If you want to, I´ll give you decent leveling gear so you´ll just fly through storymode and early maps. You´ll be much much faster than your first character and thats crucial, if you like playing leagues.
The faster you make it to maps, the more currency you will accumulate. Because early on in leagues pretty much everything sells easily - for about 2 or 3 weeks in softcore.
After that trades will slow down big time.

So it might be a decent choice to train fast leveling, so you get to maps faster than the majority next league. Speed and knowledge are key in this game.
I could point you towards really strong, yet cheap builds, that will be extremely fast and efficient. Just a fair warning: Its hard to go back to slower builds once you´ve seen and experienced what toptier builds can do ;)
"
Orbaal wrote:
GZ for reaching lvl90 :)

Seems like you reached your lvl softcap as well as your gear softcap for now.
You could always go for more, if you really wanted or call it a day and do something else instead.
Like working on challenges or trying to beat bosses like atziri.

At some point you will hit the wall anyways, because you are not experienced enough yet to reliably accumulate more xp for another lvl or more currency to get good enough gear to make a real difference.

Thats totally up to you. Do whatever you like.
This is the beauty and the bane of this game at the same time, because there will never be a point where you actually complete the game. There will always be stuff you could do, if you wanted but the grind towards better stuff will get harder and harder over time.

My offer still stands: If you want to, I´ll give you decent leveling gear so you´ll just fly through storymode and early maps. You´ll be much much faster than your first character and thats crucial, if you like playing leagues.
The faster you make it to maps, the more currency you will accumulate. Because early on in leagues pretty much everything sells easily - for about 2 or 3 weeks in softcore.
After that trades will slow down big time.

So it might be a decent choice to train fast leveling, so you get to maps faster than the majority next league. Speed and knowledge are key in this game.
I could point you towards really strong, yet cheap builds, that will be extremely fast and efficient. Just a fair warning: Its hard to go back to slower builds once you´ve seen and experienced what toptier builds can do ;)

Thank you for your kindness and help. It's greatly appreciated :)

First of all I gotta say I love Abyssal Depths. Rare, but really fun to play. Came over some chap named Ulaman now (sadly he RIPPED), and some neat gear. The gloves look pretty cool and valuable. May be a challenge to fit them in, but two good Abyss jewels (with life) may be worth it. Otherwise I lose 200 life as the current gloves have a practically perfect life roll. But I do love finding gear like this =)

The rare Stygian Vise is terribly rolled, but maybe I could get lucky with essences. But my current Vise is good anyway. The unique Vise doens't look very useful, and isn't worth much either it seems. Kinda disappointing, but oh well.

---

I would like to try a new character with a different approach, though should perhaps try to push the current one into red maps first, and hopefully manage to take down Atziri as well. Want to try again, with hopefully more luck. It may be hard to go back to this one if the next is some super-speedy Gonzales ;-) Don't really have much levelling gear myself so it would be fantastic if I could borrow some of yours for such an endeavour. I looked up the build you're playing, and it looks a bit tricky. I'd like to try more of a ranged/AoE build, just not sure what I would enjoy most. And some effects completely kill the performance. Some fire or chaos spitters (I think) wreak total havoc on performances. Sometimes everything just stops, and I'm left in limbo swinging swords and hitting flasks, hoping I haven't died by the time the game responds. Don't know if that is a general problem or because I'm playing through Wine/Linux, or my hardware. GTX 770 should do the job though I would think.

If you or others have links to build guides I can check out that may be fitting for a newb-ish player, that would be appreciated. Such a jungle trying to look through the hundreds of build guides out there :/

Think I'd like to play this character a little further first, though, to see how he/I deal with red tier maps. Maybe even take on the guardians and suchlike if they spawn. Should still be 6 weeks left of the league, so should have time left for another character later, which will hopefully be able to get me through the story line a bit quicker than 3 weeks :P
Last edited by Pangaearocks on Jul 13, 2018, 7:36:11 PM
"
Pangaearocks wrote:

Nice :D
Tombfists with 2 abyssal sockets are roughly a 100-120 chaos worth if not more - depending on the rolls ofc.
Pretty good drop :)

You could gamble and use a t3 corruption room to either destroy the item or get lucky and hit the multiple exalted corruption. As always: Your call.

The build I´m playing is ranged and aoe :)
It clears reliably the entire screen by clicking 1 button. Trash clear is really good, but hardly relevant these days. It also melts bosses in no time, which is way more relevant.
But ofc there are downsides to it. You cant leech with a trap build, so you have to make sure your positioning is good to mitigate most of the incoming damage by simply avoiding to get hit at all.

This is true for pretty much all fast aoe clear builds.
They can dish out tons of damage, but they also drop dead quickly if you are stupid enough to facetank content. This leads to a "hit & run" playstyle, if you are lacking damage or to a "fire & forget" playstyle, if your dmg output is good enough.
Stacking dmg these days isnt a real challenge anymore, so its likely going to be "fire & forget".

At this point phys or elemental reflect map mods are meant to reign in the powerlevel of these builds a bit, but there are plenty ways to ignore reflect. One of them is playing a trap build, because the traps are dealing the damage, so the damage dealt would be reflected towards the traps and not affect your character at all. In conclusion trap builds can simply ignore reflect map mods, which makes rolling maps cheaper.

I would also recommend to go for a spell based skill rather than an attack based one.
Simply for the fact, that attack based builds have to rely on good weapons - thats defining your dps output. Spells however work differently. All they need is gem levels to dish out tons of damage.
The higher you can push the level, the harder its going to hit.
Another advantage is, that spell will always hit. You dont need accuracy or anything like that.

As a downside there very limited options to leech life or mana from spells. Its really hard to get reliable leech going. So you just cant stand in the middle of a brawl and expect to survive relying on leech or regen.
Some spell based builds can, but they are exceptions to the rule.

In conclusion its more about your preferred playstyle than anything else as well as your budget.
To point you towards a build you might enjoy, you need to know what you want to do and how you want to do it and how much you are willing to invest.
Once you know what you want, we can link build guides.
Last edited by Orbaal on Jul 14, 2018, 5:44:33 AM
"
Orbaal wrote:
Nice :D
Tombfists with 2 abyssal sockets are roughly a 100-120 chaos worth if not more - depending on the rolls ofc.
Pretty good drop :)

You could gamble and use a t3 corruption room to either destroy the item or get lucky and hit the multiple exalted corruption. As always: Your call.

Thanks! It's a great drop and appears to be worth about 140 chaos. Not bad :D Keeping it for now, tho, as I'm not hurting for chaos and it's fun to have really great items, which I can hopefully get to use some day. Would be tricky right now due to losing two normal gems and the cold resistance, so things would need to be shuffled around and re-coloured.

Not going to risk it on the corruption alter though. Partly because playing incursions is torture (have only acquired a few T3 rooms, ever), and partly because I don't want to risk it going *poof* or getting bricked.

"
Orbaal wrote:
I would also recommend to go for a spell based skill rather than an attack based one.
Simply for the fact, that attack based builds have to rely on good weapons - thats defining your dps output. Spells however work differently. All they need is gem levels to dish out tons of damage.
The higher you can push the level, the harder its going to hit.
Another advantage is, that spell will always hit. You dont need accuracy or anything like that.

As a downside there very limited options to leech life or mana from spells. Its really hard to get reliable leech going. So you just cant stand in the middle of a brawl and expect to survive relying on leech or regen.
Some spell based builds can, but they are exceptions to the rule.

In conclusion its more about your preferred playstyle than anything else as well as your budget.
To point you towards a build you might enjoy, you need to know what you want to do and how you want to do it and how much you are willing to invest.
Once you know what you want, we can link build guides.

Very good, I've wondered why wands and such look so terrible, yet are so expensive. Makes more sense now, when it's basically the gems that do the damage.

It's actually difficult to answer those questions, because I don't have any experience with other builds and am unsure what I would like most. I don't like dying in droves though, so it would be good if it was reasonably tough. I do enjoy the current playstyle of bursting into a group, swing the swords, and repeat. It's simple but fairly safe due to life leech and high regen.

I've looked a bit at this build by Enki. The fact it's labelled as beginner-friendly and is well explained should help - but I don't know if I'd be good at it, or enjoy it. If the build requires hefty use of flasks, that may be tricky as I'm far from keeping them up 100% of the time now.

I'm also kind of flip-flopping between "I'd like to take this marauder deeper into red maps and see how I will do" and "damn, this is boring, map after map after map with no real clear goals any more". Ticking off Atlas bonuses is fine and all, I'm finally up to 100 now, but it does get a bit boring as well. Guess I just like the structure of a story more. Don't find the pure grinding aspects of the game all that enjoyable. Or that seemingly 99% of the loot I pick up is trash.

But if I start over I need to do it all over again, with the added frustration of more game crashes (Linx/Wine memory limit), and there is no guarantee I'd be able to take that character any further while having fun. But maybe I should try?

Not sure if this helped to inform or not; I'm just thinking out loud here.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info