How would an auction house be worse exactly?

"
trixxar wrote:
"
Bone2flesh wrote:

Care to comment on

- No one liking the current system?

- Dont like the AH idea, fine, whats your solution?

Also, regardless of what devs said, they have need majority investors. You reverence for the devs is almost touching (not sarcasm) but because they said something once, they not longer have majority stake.

Please dont pretend to know what Tencent thinks, and I wont either.

I would like to comment on those:

I like the current system and most payers that use it for it's intended purpose do not mind it either. I use it to complement my builds with a few items I need and to sell a few items I find to only find the before mentioned purchases. When my build is don;'t I don't even sell anything anymore.

Now if you revolve your whole game play around it than the system is a pain. But then again that's your problem.

For what the system is meant to be used for it's perfect.

My solution is to either keep things as they are. Trading was way way worse in the past in POE. What we have right now is a tremendous improvement.

What I would do?

- Remove all access of poe.trade like websites.
- Make their own trading tool as the only allowed one.
- Improve the performance of it and real time updating.

That would be my suggestion.

I would prefer going back to trading by dropping items on the floor in mud flats than have an AH system. Good old days when people like you were nonexistent.

You mention Tencent there. Do you think that goals of the investor are different from the goals of the dev team? Do you think this investor will not listen to the people who made the game worth investing big bucks in?

If you look at the most successful acquisitions you will see that the team who created the company is left in charge and given freedom to continue the projects. Tencent invests because they trust and believe in the vision the developers.

You are very very clueless and clearly do not know what Tencent thinks. But I do because it's not rocket science how investments in digital products work: it's education and actual work experience. I have both. Do you?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
"
trixxar wrote:
Let me boil it down

- You guys say there is data on all of this, and it supports your claim.
- You havent seen the data, you dont know if its even possible to pull player satisfaction from AH vs leagues or general interest, or promotions, etc.

Thats it.

No, "you guys" do not say that it supports their/our claim.

But you know, as well as me, that behind the Trade Manifesto, lies a great deal of numbers. Of course, GGG have opinions on how they want their game to be, but they also have a lot of numbers indicating how we want their game to be. I'm not saying the numbers support "my claim", but they have been pretty clear: "We do not want an automated AH". Why is this, you think?

We can speculate as to why this is. I think it's because of how easy it will be to acquire gear. The threshold for trade will decrease -> more items will hit the market -> the prices for non-GG gear will go down. The supply will be greater.

GGG balances their game on how powerful you're supposed to be on certain milestones throughout the game. With an AH, the threshold for being more powerful than ever through these milestones is lower, meaning it's way easier to be more powerful - all the time - especially while leveling.

Some don't view this as a problem. "Leveling? That's just something you rush through to get to end game". A valid view, by all means, but A LOT of players don't even map. Not extensively, at least. So GGG needs to keep "their vision" with how difficult they want their game to be. There's several ways they could do this - even IF they decide to implement an AH.

- They could limit the AH in several ways, like the Chinese realm or the X-Box realm.
- They could limit the amount of trades you can do.
- They could make the core game more difficult by making monsters tougher.
- They could lower drop rates.

Some examples. The last two will make trade more required than it is today. The first two will introduce more havoc than the current, I believe.

A LOT of this discussion is based on "I want easier and faster trading - make it happen" and "everybode trades for everything all the time now anyways". The first one in purely egoistic, and the last one is very wrong.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Jun 20, 2018, 4:16:09 AM
"
Phrazz wrote:

A LOT of this discussion is based on "I want easier and faster trading - make it happen" and "everybode trades for everything all the time now anyways". The first one in purely egoistic, and the last one is very wrong.

I like your suggestions above and I agree.

Regarding reasons for wanting an AH, it seems simpler than that to me.

If I need a map for atlas, I'm going to trade until I get it because RNG for a specific map can take hours.

So the trade will happen. I think anyone trying to complete the atlas would do the same.

I can spend ... realistically, 3-15 minutes not playing the game, messing with tabs, waiting. For no particular reason. It makes no sense. It could be done in 10 seconds.

Imagine they made the loading screen last 7.5 minutes, not because they had to, but because they thought it was good game design. To discourage, say, swapping between your own characters.

The counter argument that it makes the game worse is not something I disagree with, but its a not a very complete reason. As you showed, there are many, many ways to counter that.

So the do nothing solution flies in the face of reason that anything can be improved.
SSF player... a specific map can take weeks.
I'm really trying to think about this subject rationally and with a clear mind. Mind you, I understand the "human element" that Chris Wilson wanted by making trading be an interaction between two humans, but it is not just difficult it is really really bad, really frustrating and just a total disaster.

I read the comments that say if there is an AH then all people will do is play the market and drops will need to come down to compensate. Really the only thing that will occur is that it will be easier for the "flippers" to make money. So prices will go up and the net result of having a nice simple AH is probably about the same (pricing will increase on in demand items but without all the headaches and pain involved).

Honestly I believe with the new $$ partner that this is an excellent time to just admit that times have changed and even the average player needs a hand (trading) to do much of the latter content. The power players will flip, and the rest of us who just want to be able to buy an item or two necessary for the build we choose each league. And we want to do it in the least painful way possible.

Frankly, I went 3 almost 4 years only buying stuff on occasion and I never sold anything. As I got better and wanted to push the game envelope I realized I needed to make a bit more money and I started to trade. What a nightmare. Most of us complaining are in a similar spot. Does GGG have any idea how hard it is to buy maps? currency items? or to get a response on a somewhat cheap item? I'm not sure they fully understand because they have been desensified by 5 years of people who complain about everything. I put fuses in trade and got spammed by probably 200 people the next hour. I finally just shut down the game until the next day.
----

The guy two spots up from this post has a great example

Imagine they made the loading screen last 7.5 minutes, not because they had to, but because they thought it was good game design. To discourage, say, swapping between your own characters.
Last edited by MrWonderful99 on Jun 22, 2018, 7:41:47 PM
I totally agree with MrWonderful99 ! trading is not fun

and there is still economy manipulation

people still buy unqiues to pimp themself !

if GGG dont want people to trade just make the whole game SF (note that i didint say SSF) people can team but they can only get their stuff by themselve

balance the game accordingly (not balance it accordingly to streamers that play 12 hours a day)

then everything will be solved.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
SSF player... a specific map can take weeks.

True.
"
Luy wrote:
the whole gear bullshit is just an excuse

the main reason they dont want to make an AH at this point is because their whole business model is based on selling mtx, selling supporter packs and selling TABS

there is no reason to spend money and time making a trade system that not only wouldnt give them any money in the short run (and in the long run its only speculation) but would also cut short one of their sources of income
before the fanbois go crazy, Im not saying the need for tabs would disappear
Im saying that in all the reasons people buy tabs, there are a few that bought them for the ease of trading, specially people that are just joining the game for the 1st time
and even if that is a small niche, it still is a niche and it still exists
even if that is not big and its obviously not their main source of income, but still, it is a source of income and there is no reason to spend dev resources on something that will cut that short

they just wont say "we wont make an AH because we want people to keep buying tabs" because that sounds bad for business
so all the gear, drop rates or *giggle-snort* player interaction *cough* excuses, are just that
excuses

you are all arguing on irrelevant stuff

have a good day

Eh...there wouldn't be a problem to implement a pay pr slot/tab system in an AH? So; from a business point of view, GGG would probably be able to do good money on selling tabs/space in an AH.

So, our arguments to this discussion are actually relevant indeed, you're posting above not so much.
Last edited by lunshea on Jun 21, 2018, 5:39:43 AM
An AH wouldnt be worse, basically same thing and more convienent. Uniques and rares are ok to buy off the website but all the other stuff is cancer.
I think it scares alot of older players who have learned how to make money off the current system as they might have to relearn the economy.
Well, an AH would actually create more player retention . Speaking from my D3 days , I would log in at least twice a day to see what had sold, and what I could buy. Of course while you are logged in , might as while play for a bit....

SO for Tencent, more players online would be a good thing. But there is a cost with running any added feature. The business model may not work in Tencent's favor.

D3's Real money AH ran a profit for Blizz. So costs were not an issue (in my opinion), until the crackdown on internet gambling by the USA. The RMAH on D3 was in a grey area for the new laws and ran the risk of Blizz possibly being shut out of the US market ( Pokerstars etc.).

So.... a free AH, set up by Tencent/GGG would not run a profit? It would have more players logging in, but.... In this FTP business model, would more people buy Supporter Packs ? GGG has most likely ran a business model on this, so I think the answer is no.

Anyone have any smashing ideas??? GGG do listen. And I would welcome an AH.

Here's two ideas for discussion....
They could run it as a separate client and have advertising on the site. I'm ok with this. Not sure how the player base would react though.
How about buying it ,like an extra stash tab? (as mentioned previously)I don't like this at all, but GGG has shown in the past that selling tabs is what they love to do!
Last edited by SouthCoast on Jun 21, 2018, 9:10:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info