End of Act 5 impossible

Seriously, WTF?! Must have died 15 times to that Flaming Twat as he kept insta-killing me. Even one small ball he kept spamming all over the room was enough to insta-kill me. Kept going back in time after time hoping it was possible to wither him down, but it was no use really. How are you supposed to take this guy out? To make matters even worse, he spawned huge titans that couldn't be targeted, who also more often than not insta-killed me.

I have a stone golem with me that helps to heal and everything in that temple up to him went fine for the most part, so my character can't be horrible. Yet that punk was nigh on untouchable. Got him down to maybe half health, but his shield (I think?) kept going up in no time, so every time I died it was back up. And I died a lot.

I kept running around to try to avoid his worst moods, but he just kept spamming one insta-death attack after the other. That huge flame and all those smaller balls that goes all over the room, each one enough to kill me.

Know I have to redo the whole bloody thing now, and it was a looooong trek (accidentally hit resurrect in town once), but I didn't see a way to win. Would therefore love some advice.

I'm playing a Duelist and am following this guide. First time with the game, so I wanted a crutch. Currently level 47, so am technically overleveled (lol).
Last edited by Pangaearocks on Jun 3, 2018, 3:51:20 PM
Last bumped on Jul 16, 2018, 5:56:34 PM
I've set my profile to public and showing characters, in case people with more skill want to check it out and give advice.

It's one thing if I was kinda close and can see what to do, but here I got completely annihilated. Very frustrating when it's been fun up to now, smashing groups of people in little time with cleave and multistrike. I've had the odd death before, but nothing like this. Massive difficulty spike.
Defenses: The game expects you (at some point) to get max fire/cold/lightning resists. For Avarius/Innocence you (I think) want fire resist. Other than that the usual advice: Get more life. Ultimately you want lots life on every piece of gear and lots %life on the passive tree.

Offense: Get an AWC (Ancestral Warchief) and link it properly. Use it in situations like this when you have to run around to dodge things.

And for this fight you may want to watch something like this: Mechanics Explained - Avarius Castius

There have been many threads about Avarius/Innocence. It is (post A4 nerfs) sort of the first harder boss encounter in PoE.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
weapons. are trash. you need solid phys damage weapons. your main hand is good for nothing and offhand is solid roll but on very low base. farm/buy better one(s).. It could help using a different skill where you dont need two good weapons for dw, like sunder for example

gems. you should have 4 link now (assuming you use cleave), so you are one damage support gem short. also you miss typical buffs phys damage builds use like Hatred and Herald od Ash

tree. the start at ranger area and bellow is fine but I have no idea what you are doing on the left and right, where you put many +10 points just to get some jewel sockets and put super trash jewels in them. You should rather go to ranger/marauder areas (depending on your plan) and grab life and strong damage passives there. jewels can be very strong but also expensive and there is no point in investing in jewels while leveling unless you need threshold jewels

life. 1200 is too little for a melee char at the end of act 5 (I usually have 1200 at lvl 33 where I do the first lab). you should have around 1800.. also at a5 you should have elemental resists capped.

to sum it up, above mentioned issues when combined result in very low dps and survivability. Even if you manage to death-zerg through a5 bosses, you will get rekt in act 6 anyways

IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Jun 3, 2018, 6:09:38 PM
"
Pangaearocks wrote:
I've set my profile to public and showing characters, in case people with more skill want to check it out and give advice.

It's one thing if I was kinda close and can see what to do, but here I got completely annihilated. Very frustrating when it's been fun up to now, smashing groups of people in little time with cleave and multistrike. I've had the odd death before, but nothing like this. Massive difficulty spike.

Well Kitava act5 is a skill tree check.

you will need about 1.7-2k hp to be there confortable

then the game has Single targe skills and Multi target skills, Cleave don't excel at killing bosses.

you should have 4 links by now, also your skill tree looks a bit clunky, with many wasted points, the first char I made back in the day wasn't able to get past act3, so don't worry :)

if you want a to make a tree by yourself, try to aim to about 200% life, then you will need 75 res to all ( that you can always get with items )you usually won't need chaos resistance at all. Most likely armor or evasion if you are going for gladiator, then damage and defensive nodes as you wish.

You can use the forums to get an idea of builds, or you can plan your own using tools like Path of Building.

The starts are hard, it gets better eventually, but the game is a bit complicated at the beggining.
Last edited by Mugiwara20 on Jun 3, 2018, 7:25:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. About to go to work, but I'll post quickly.

"
Mugiwara20 wrote:

Well Kitava act5 is a skill tree check.

you will need about 1.7-2k hp to be there confortable

then the game has Single targe skills and Multi target skills, Cleave don't excel at killing bosses.

you should have 4 links by now, also your skill tree looks a bit clunky, with many wasted points, the first char I made back in the day wasn't able to get past act3, so don't worry :)

if you want a to make a tree by yourself, try to aim to about 200% life, then you will need 75 res to all ( that you can always get with items )you usually won't need chaos resistance at all. Most likely armor or evasion if you are going for gladiator, then damage and defensive nodes as you wish.

You can use the forums to get an idea of builds, or you can plan your own using tools like Path of Building.

The starts are hard, it gets better eventually, but the game is a bit complicated at the beggining.

It's not my own experimentation with the build actually, I'm following a Duelist Cleave guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1984202. It's been going well up to now, but this boss wiped the floor with me. The pathing is done, according to the guide, because levels come by quite fast still, so it was done now. Then more useful skills will be chosen soon. The idea is to get Overwhelming Odds jewel for instance (or two). I don't have many jewels for now, so have put those I have in the tree.

Thought my equipment was decent enough, but it sounds like the gear is poor, the build is poor, and the health is poor. Not good :(

Have started a Marauder in the Incursion league, and either been lucky with gear there or unlucky in this one. Several good rares early on, and already have found 3 uniques by level 20. That's what I have in this one by level 47 (or maybe 4), though I can't really use anything.

Fired up the game briefly and found a plain 4-link armor at a vendor. When I put Chance to Bleed gem in, damage increased to ~3000. IDed and tried some other one-handers, that you can see in the inventory now, but none of them got me better dps than what I have.

If the current 4-link armor is feasible, what's the best way to increase the quality? Without spending silly amounts of currency on it. I haven't really done much crafting so far, because I figured better gear would show up eventually and it would be a waste.
Last edited by Pangaearocks on Jun 4, 2018, 2:21:31 AM
Well at this point of levelling you cannot compare the complete build from the guide to your actual status, it is more like inspired by this guide.
Levelling takes time, when you are a beginner and by the league and years you will get faster and better about the know-how. Also there is a difference about following a guide and actually have same gear to have same build like guided. You can have same skills and support gems, having same tree nodes and still your gameplay could sux hard compared to the video from the guider. Because of stats.
At the moment to make it a way easier for you to stand against your enemies could be done by upgrading your rare items to a higher item level to get higher tier stats about life for example. Also must have in the game is capping the resistances, the more far you get in acts the more need for resistances you will have, because at two end of acts your resistance gets a reduce and you need more resis again to fill the gap.
While in the first 3-4 acts you can easy give a ... on the resis, it gets more difficult to have it not when you are progressing forwards.
Look for higher item level gear, much more resis and life stat at everything.
Maybe a decoy totem would help and a warchief could do.
It will get much more difficult.
Have fun and maybe the first toons will not be the best, but time will bring more characters
It´s not any surprise you´re dying a lot (1254 life, -1 fire)

You should aim for 1800-2000 life and 75 all resists (especially fire resist in that fight, chaos can pass now).
Take Constitution and Herbalism passives as fast as possible and better gear ofc.

You need also improve your dps (with better weapons and level your gems to higher levels).

You can trade for items with other people (will be hard in standard league now cos Incursion league just started) or you need to farm for better gear (The Templar Courts is fine for that) and use masters for crafting.
Last edited by Rakiii on Jun 4, 2018, 7:38:21 AM
What kind of gear would be normal at this point in the game?

By trading I suppose you mean with people and not in-game vendors, as they basically only have white/plain items. I don't even know HOW to trade, the practical steps in it. Seems a bit cumbersome, if you need to meet up in the game and then hand over item and currency, with probably possibilities of getting screwed one way or another.

It's a hard game, and I probably got the wrong impression by how easily huge packs of mobs were mowed down up until this point. With some exceptions when I've had to whirlwind out of a tight spot, I have often just cleaved my way through packs, even storming into the middle of it to 'clear' faster. False sense of security. But then this is the best gear I've found.
By the end of Act 5 you should have close to max resists. The amount of life you have is highly variable based on build type. Melee characters should be close to if not over 2k, evasion builds might be as low as 800. So, your 1200 isn't terrible, but depending it might be on the low side. One of the key things in this game for many, if not most, builds is to get +life on as much equipment as possible, even when you are just building. It really makes a difference.
Last edited by Mr_Tact on Jun 4, 2018, 12:50:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info