Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

It's been a great run, you guys. I had a lot of fun.

Best of luck to you in the future.
What's most mind-boggling to me is how Chris said "we have to be really careful" in Baeclast multiple times when discussing minor changes to the game, and then the next day came out saying "oh yeah, btw, we sold 80% of our company" based on a teenage girl's hope that Tencent will give them full autonomy. Shocking
I enjoyed my time, was here from near the beginning. Wish you the best in the future.
Originally Posted by battlebug on 12.02.2011:

can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
"
Atzros wrote:
"
imLuCaSsS wrote:
"
Emberlord wrote:
Tencent will no doubt apply their pay-to-win strategy in Chinese server, but luckily these strategy will unlikely reach international server, because 1) The only market tencent really care to make money is Chinese market,and 2) Tencent know how to extract money out of user, but not how to make a innovative game that is fun. So they need GGG to operate independently to generate all the good ideas, so that they can grab it and combine it with their money extracting method to get more money from chinese market.

The only thing that remain in question is, will Tencent demand GGG to block international server from Chinese users?

Finally not a 12 year old boy here. Nice post. :)

"If you disagree with my opinion you're twelve"

The problem is people freaking out about something they have no idea about.

It's just speculation, man. For now, nothing has changed, and according to Chris, someone I have to respect - He created this game and this company - nothing will change.

I see no reason to panic, and I'll keep supporting GGG when I can. Path of exile its my main game, together with dota 2.

Who cares if another big company bought it or not? It still Chris/Jonathan working to make this game to us.

I spent yesterday almost 100 dollars in dota 2 compendium and sent my money to VALVE. Probably the biggest online gaming company of this planet. Gaben ( Valve owner ) has billion dollars and I sent him 100 dollars cause I LIKE THE GAME. So what?
My end, it justifies my means,
All I ever do is delay,
My every attempt to evade,
The end of the road
And my end....
Last edited by imLuCaSsS on May 21, 2018, 11:49:32 AM
I guess I should give people credit for being more naive than I imagined...

"
SlomoStee wrote:
Chris knows what is best for his company and game and I trust his decision.

Chris doesn't own GGG anymore. He sold his ownership. Chris absolutely did what was best for Chris, and it's possible Chris did what he thought was best for GGG. However, GGG was "acquired" by Tencent. Chris still runs GGG, but Tencent now has the power to change that. And they now have the power to dictate the direction of PoE, even if Chris doesn't agree. What part of "acquired" don't you understand? Don't be fooled by Chris' attempt to smooth this over with the community.

Sure, in the short term nothing will change. It's the long term that some people are worried about, since Tencent has a bad reputation for turning games towards the Pay-to-Play model side of F2P.

We don't know where PoE will be years from now, but we DO know that Tencent has the authority to trump Chris and make those calls now.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on May 21, 2018, 11:44:44 AM
1st of all - GZ to both companies about the development of the things.
If the things come to the conclusion that this is for the best - then I believe that it will be good.

2nd - I see absolutely no issue if the Chinese version goin even MUCH ahead of the international version of the game. It's choice of the major investor, and this reflect no negative on the game at all I believe.

3rd - Remaining independant is a hardest part. For me it does not mater as long as the game keeps it's community approach of development. ( which recently is hmmm.. not so community but ok.. ).

4th - There could be involved monthly fee for a specific additional content
( like a pet which is collecting items automatically, wings which makes you actually fly around, specific inventory expansions .. etc. Premium access to the expansions, beta and leagues ) I am not against such things as long as the core game remains free.

5th - GZ again.
Just one very disappointed PoE fan.
CI casters made PoE to the top, and GGG decided to kill them.
Best decision ever!
2 x Xeon E5 2695 V4 ( 36 cores/72 threads ) / 128 GB RAM / 2 x GTX 1080 / 3 x Philips 55" displays / 1200W PSU / 4 x 512 GB SSD / 2 x 8 TB HDD
Funny, in one move we all just became chinese farmers :P

I'm still going to support GGG, until they mess up somewhere(either the game or with p2w).
A sad news, sad news indeed. I never spent so much time invested in a game, 5 years paired with ungodly amount of man hours. I had a feeling this will happen sooner or later when Tencet becomes involved in china PoE scene. Dont be surprised when they (Tencet) takes a huge dump on GGG original vision.

Chris sold out. Period.

Best of luck, the abyss pack will be probably -if the game becomes p2w- be my first & last.

Last edited by Molochmane on May 21, 2018, 12:05:45 PM
bib boop
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
I guess I should give people credit for being more naive than I imagined...

"
SlomoStee wrote:
Chris knows what is best for his company and game and I trust his decision.

Chris doesn't own GGG anymore. He sold his ownership. Chris absolutely did what was best for Chris, and it's possible Chris did what he thought was best for GGG. However, GGG was "acquired" by Tencent. Chris still runs GGG, but Tencent now has the power to change that. And they now have the power to dictate the direction of PoE, even if Chris doesn't agree. What part of "acquired" don't you understand? Don't be fooled by Chris' attempt to smooth this over with the community.

Sure, in the short term nothing will change. It's the long term that some people are worried about, since Tencent has a bad reputation for turning games towards the Pay-to-Play model side of F2P.

We don't know where PoE will be years from now, but we DO know that Tencent has the authority to trump Chris and make those calls now.

There is something called contract. Signed by both Tencent and Chris Wilson.

If you do not have acess to it, you can't speculate what's happening next.

Chris said he had offers to sold part of GGG for more than 5 years, and never agreed. Now he finally did. I don't think he signed some garbage document allowing Tencent to take control of his mind in the future, atleast I hope so. I hope GGG-laws department was on point with that, and if they was, it's all good, dude.

Tencent can't do what they can't do or go against the contract rules or it can be canceled. No more Tencent. Simple like that. That's how things works. That's why I said there is no reason to freaking out about it. But well, I guess people just have to freaking out because "it's fun".
My end, it justifies my means,
All I ever do is delay,
My every attempt to evade,
The end of the road
And my end....
Last edited by imLuCaSsS on May 21, 2018, 11:55:46 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info