Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

Does this mean there'll be a mac client steam release in PoE's future?
"Nothing will change... we retain creative control"
- Mark Jacobs, Former CEO Mythic Entertainment, June 20, 2006

- Peter Molyneux, Former Managing Director, Bullfrog, January 7, 1995

- Feargus Urquhart Former Head of Black Isle Studios, December 8, 2003

- Josh Resnick Former President of Pandemic Studios, October 11, 2007

- Ray Muzyka Former Co-Founder of Bioware Corp, September 18, 2012

- Greg Zeschuk Former Co-Founder of Bioware Corp, September 18, 2012

- David Brevik, Former Founder of Condor Studios, March 2, 1995

- Bill Roper, Former CEO of Flagship Studios, February 11, 2009

- Max Schaefer, Former CEO of Runic Games, May 18th 2010

- Michael Morhaime, Co-Founder of Blizzard Entertainment, October 23, 2013

Chris... Bex... I love you all to death... but don't make promises you can't keep. Every single thing you just said lasts exactly as long as Tencent wishes, and not one second more.

I will support the company started by Chris Wilson. The second it stops being that is the moment I will withdraw it. Blizzard stopped being Blizzard, and I have not purchased a single game by them since Warcraft 3. If/When Tencent starts flexing it's controlling interest, I am gone.

I dearly hope GGG can be the company that actually manages to break the cycle. But it's long odds Mr. Wilson. It's long d*amn odds.

Very unhappy news.
Last edited by Sabranic_SilverDeth on May 20, 2018, 10:37:30 PM
Well, although I'm happy that you got more funding (you guys have awesome ideas and can spand this game so much), I'm quite troubled by the word "majority", this is very worrying for a lot of people, specially since we are dealing with a chinese company now, and honestly, this killed a lot of the excitment I had for the new league, it looks awesome, but everytime I'll turn this game on I'll have this post on the back of my mind.

Hope the prices go down at least, since I've supported you because it was an independent company, passion made me spend the amount I did, one that I never thought I would spend on a game, now, I'm not sure anymore, sorry guys.
Last edited by aptrojan on May 20, 2018, 10:29:22 PM
Well, with only the title I was thinking about that Path of Exile will introduce something like VIP (Lv 1~Lv 20) to get extra IIQ and IIR (Tier 1~Tier 20).

Seems not happening.

Phew.
I mean, I get it. Congrats to the stakeholders that are getting PAID for this at GGG but...

This really makes me question whether or not I'll ever spend money on PoE again.
Last edited by ncsbert on May 20, 2018, 10:28:16 PM
Well good fucking thing I don't live in China.
You admitted the Chinese versions will be different.
Wonder what the Chinese community thinks?
Well, I guess I don't feel the need to buy a supporter pack now.

So, we only partially sold out, don't worry we won't do it again.

Boss
Last edited by RustedSky on May 20, 2018, 10:30:02 PM
Big reason I bought supporter packs was due to GGG being an NZ company... not happy with monez going to Tencent.

I see the reasons for it and good for Chris etc to cash out but I loved the idea of a NZ game dev company.
It's all over.....
Just return to POE but now I have to find a new game :(
The true question is is Tencent the biggest shareholders now? As long as the answer is no, I don't think there will be any big issue, at least in a foreseeable future.

Of course, China doesn't have any good reputation intentionally. As an asian player, I don't like the monopoly of Tencent on Chinese games market too, but at least Tencent did a great job on LoL. Hopefully Tencent can treat GGG the same as Riot that don't really control the game design too much as long as it's out of China (Yes, LoL in China is quite different from intentional in term of way to earn money), and GGG can use it's game design and earning power to stop any major change to the game from other investors, not only Tencent.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
呵呵~
我不知道我是該高興呢~
還是不高興!
前景渺茫.
GGG你太短視了.
加入TX的懷抱.
現在你說的言之鑿鑿.
但是底氣已經沒了.
現在有了錢.
但是沒了遠景.
祝好運吧!