Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

As much as I appreciate the transparency I'm with everyone else here, kind of disappointed to see this and especially after buying a $60 supporter pack. I really hope this works out but the anxiety you're giving everyone is only going to make things worse because a lot of people are going to think twice about investing in supporter packs from now on.

Why did this have to happen RIGHT when I came back to PoE? Everything I love seems to die from greed. RIP Marvel Heroes. RIP City of Heroes.
twitch.tv/whoisfuskee
Come hang out with me sometime, fellow Exile.
"
"Nothing will change... we retain creative control"
- Mark Jacobs, Former CEO Mythic Entertainment, June 20, 2006

- Peter Molyneux, Former Managing Director, Bullfrog, January 7, 1995

- Feargus Urquhart Former Head of Black Isle Studios, December 8, 2003

- Josh Resnick Former President of Pandemic Studios, October 11, 2007

- Ray Muzyka Former Co-Founder of Bioware Corp, September 18, 2012

- Greg Zeschuk Former Co-Founder of Bioware Corp, September 18, 2012

- David Brevik, Former Founder of Condor Studios, March 2, 1995

- Bill Roper, Former CEO of Flagship Studios, February 11, 2009

- Max Schaefer, Former CEO of Runic Games, May 18th 2010

- Michael Morhaime, Co-Founder of Blizzard Entertainment, October 23, 2013

Chris... Bex... I love you all to death... but don't make promises you can't keep. Every single thing you just said lasts exactly as long as Tencent wishes, and not one second more.

I will support the company started by Chris Wilson. The second it stops being that is the moment I will withdraw it. Blizzard stopped being Blizzard, and I have not purchased a single game by them since Warcraft 3. If/When Tencent starts flexing it's controlling interest, I am gone.

I dearly hope GGG can be the company that actually manages to break the cycle. But it's long odds Mr. Wilson. It's long d*amn odds.

Very unhappy news.

If your going to quote people, maybe you should quote what they actually said rather then your made up quote. I understand what your trying to say, but this is dishonest at best.
Not all publishers are equal. If it were EA or NCsoft, I would completely agree with the doomsaying in this thread. But I honestly can't say I heard a single solitary bad word about Tencent and their publishing practices.

They might publish games with P2W or bad F2P practices, but that doesn't mean they were the ones who implemented them. Some developers push bad monitization into their games, regardless of who is publishing.

While I am hardly jumping with joy over here, I think it's prudent to look at the evidence and follow the results. And for a big as Tencent is, they seem to be pretty benign.
Time will tell.
I can't dictate how to keep your studio afloat. I've supported this game for years. With this news, I think I may be buying less supporter packs. If development and beneficial progress continue, then I may choose to invest again. But if there are hints of languishing, I cannot in good faith continue to support you either. Good luck!
guys, money/investment isn't bad. why is everyone bitching? additional investment could mean more devs and better/bigger content updates...

people are so negative these days.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
And there it is.

tencent fucking murdered Paragon, one of the most promising mobas around, and now Epic Games are just whores to Fortnite.

Good luck wrestling with a real dragon while you're riding a hydra.

I had no idea GGG were so financially strapped that they had to submit to a company like Tencent.

Sorry, did I not buy enough support packs?

And there it is indeed. I was waiting for a charan comment. In an odd way, I'm almost relieved that you were as blindsided by this as the rest of us.

Personally, I plan to continue supporting the company as long as I find the game itself to be going in a good direction, but.... well, I can say with certainty that I'm only going to buy packs at the end of leagues as a reward for a job well done, never again at the beginning for encouragement.
Well, hoping for the best but I don't see any point in supporter packs now that the money is going to Tencent and not you guys.

I hope that lump sum Tencent paid was great 'cause you've just turned off a lot of players who were supporting you for a long time.
rip poe will come p2w !!!!
"
13elial wrote:
guys, money/investment isn't bad. why is everyone bitching? additional investment could mean more devs and better/bigger content updates...

people are so negative these days.

Simple, people are ignorant.
There is a large anti publisher/multinational corporation vibe going around atm, and it's not unwarranted. But here it seems people are calling foul without evidence, by sole virtue of the fact that Tencent is a big company/publisher, and thus must automatically be evil.

I prefer evidence before rushing to judgement.
For an FAQ this seems to be missing the answers to some fundamental questions. Here are the first ones that pop into my mind:

1. What's in it for GGG?

2. What's in it for Tencent?

Tencent is a business. Exactly what did they buy? How do they intend to profit off of this acquisition? I'm sure this was a question you asked them as well, before signing on the dotted line.

3. If Tencent is indeed not interested in influencing your operations, then why did they go for 51% ownership?

I'm sure you asked them this question too, because you are not stupid.

4. What's in it for gamers?

How will this impact the end product? Does this huge influx of cash mean you can afford to test content more thoroughly prior to release? Or does this mean you are going to zoom ahead at an even faster pace?

There are more, but I'll leave those for you for now.

People already have their own ideas about the answers to #2 and #3, and that is why there is so much pessimism in this thread. Thus, that should have been the FIRST thing you talked about, not something left out entirely.

Autonomy is perhaps the biggest loss any creative outfit can incur, so explain to us why exactly it was worth it to accept that.

Your FAQ does not even touch that.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Hmmmmmm....... Ok will keep playing and support less I guess??

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info