How to sustain maps and currency?

"
d2trust wrote:

Before sextants, zana mods, atlas etc people were sustaining 100s and 100s of high tier maps. I know cause I was one of their #1 buyers. They would claim they had tabs and tabs full of high tier maps I believed it too since I would buy from 30-70 maps at a time.

I recall in either the most recent turmoil or mayhem race. UberElite streamer was sustaining red maps mostly t14 promenade at the time by just running magic maps. The guy had more then a tab full at the time also I run dual monitor so I can watch streams as I play :)

Was watching too and you shouldnt have muted him.
He was explaining his #3 strategy all the time and it was easy enough to follow:
Check /global for next hrs map mod and run chests if you can - done.
"
KillerKrug wrote:

T16 Maps = 490 c
T15 Maps = 345 c
T14 Maps = 130 c
T13 Maps = 48 c
T12 Maps = 24 c
T11 Maps = 1ß c

so just with the maps alone i got 1055 chaos back, so 500c left ( and my currency drops alone are waaaaaaaay more than that

Thank you for your input, but this is the point that's not working for me. I know sustaining maps by doing maps alone is utopic. You claim doing 50ish maps would yield you currency drops greater than 500c? Thats about 10c per map! Thats incomparable more than I get, even if I count chaos recipe as currency drop.
"
Orbaal wrote:

He was explaining his #3 strategy all the time and it was easy enough to follow:

I know some leagues may have high amount of bonus drops by having nice additional mods. But shouldnt I be able to do the baseline of sustaining in standard, too? Or is that a "nobody cares about standard" line?
"
Vias_Myton wrote:
"
Orbaal wrote:

I know some leagues may have high amount of bonus drops by having nice additional mods. But shouldnt I be able to do the baseline of sustaining in standard, too? Or is that a "nobody cares about standard" line?

Standard league is that baseline. Temp leagues might add useful stuff like more mob density or special currency (like in Harbinger league) - but the standard baseline is sufficient.
To be sufficient it requires you to stack all tools available and grind hard.

If you do both, you will sustain even without league modifiers.

In Bestiary those above mentioned league modifiers are barely existent.
The spawnrate of beast isnt adding too much, so we are down to harbiger/horizon orb crafting.
Thats pretty much all there is currently in Bestiary to help sustaining your map pool, which then means you are effectively playing standard league (in terms of map drops) and you have to stack all tools available to sustain.

It can be done. Its not superhard, its just a lot of additional busy work you wouldnt have to do, if Bestiary was more of a loot pinata league.
Some will like that, other will hate it.

Thats business as usual.
Are you running maps with bad pack density and size? The map type you run matters alot. If you are doing the worst density maps you will have issues.
"
Vias_Myton wrote:
"
KillerKrug wrote:

T16 Maps = 490 c
T15 Maps = 345 c
T14 Maps = 130 c
T13 Maps = 48 c
T12 Maps = 24 c
T11 Maps = 1ß c

so just with the maps alone i got 1055 chaos back, so 500c left ( and my currency drops alone are waaaaaaaay more than that

Thank you for your input, but this is the point that's not working for me. I know sustaining maps by doing maps alone is utopic. You claim doing 50ish maps would yield you currency drops greater than 500c? Thats about 10c per map! Thats incomparable more than I get, even if I count chaos recipe as currency drop.

well ex+shard = 160 c // ancient+shard around 180 c // divine = 50 --> 690 c ( used 115c:1 ex // 3.5 ancient : 1 ex / divine 25c each, which should be alright ) rest of the currency should be around 2-5 ex

so yeah i guess i am way ahread of the 500 which i claimed

also i didnt include the abyss jewels ( which are quite common with sextants ) ... ELder/shaper items which can sell for 5-100c pretty easy too
or the Div Cards which can drop
30 Shores with Double Pack / Breach / Max Sextants https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2006424/page/1
First Selfmade Build as Sparker ( MF ) https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1637690
1 Million Tool Tip Dps Sparker https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1761162

Last edited by KillerKrug on Apr 10, 2018, 8:48:24 AM
"
Orbaal wrote:

Standard league is that baseline. Temp leagues might add useful stuff like more mob density or special currency (like in Harbinger league) - but the standard baseline is sufficient.

Thats business as usual.

Looks like Im not using all tools. What am I missing?

Or do you consider "grinding other things than maps" part of the tools needed to sustain maps? Like running 10 hours of Blood Aqueduct to buy maps. Because with that tool "sustaining" somewhat loses its original meaning.

"
KillerKrug wrote:

well ex+shard = 160 c // ancient+shard around 180 c // divine = 50 --> 690 c ( used 115c:1 ex // 3.5 ancient : 1 ex / divine 25c each, which should be alright ) rest of the currency should be around 2-5 ex

so yeah i guess i am way ahread of the 500 which i claimed

also i didnt include the abyss jewels ( which are quite common with sextants ) ... ELder/shaper items which can sell for 5-100c pretty easy too
or the Div Cards which can drop

Exalts and divines are drops I cannot rely on. Obviously they would pay for a bunch of maps, but I cant even remember the last time an exalt dropped during mapping.
"
Vias_Myton wrote:
"
Orbaal wrote:

Thats business as usual.

Looks like Im not using all tools. What am I missing?

Or do you consider "grinding other things than maps" part of the tools needed to sustain maps? Like running 10 hours of Blood Aqueduct to buy maps. Because with that tool "sustaining" somewhat loses its original meaning.

This is how I sustained red map last league:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2083426

Bestiary is a bit harder, since there is no extra mob density providing league mechanic this time around. Which means you should add Sextants to the mix and apply as many as you can - try to hit any Sextant mods providing extra monsters to increase density.
Also abusing Shaper/Elder ping pong is really powerful.

I need to stress out, that you are supposed to build a decent pool of red maps before you go for reds.
Bare minimum would be around 100+ atlas bonus and like 20ish red maps.
If you are lucky thats good enough to kickstart the snowballing process but dont expect that. It might actually take several approaches, which means you will drop down to yellows and have to rebuild a decent pool and try again.

Usually my league starter hits about lvl90-91 before I go for reds, if Im unwilling to buy maps for faster unlocks. If you buy unlocks, you can do it a lot faster. Up to you.
Expect it to be grindy and frustrating sometimes. Just dont give up and you will succeed.

Sustaining red maps is supposed to be a time and cash sink.
Keep that in mind and adjust your expectations.

Cheers
"
Orbaal wrote:

This is how I sustained red map last league:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2083426

Bestiary is a bit harder, since there is no extra mob density providing league mechanic this time around. Which means you should add Sextants to the mix and apply as many as you can - try to hit any Sextant mods providing extra monsters to increase density.
Also abusing Shaper/Elder ping pong is really powerful.

I need to stress out, that you are supposed to build a decent pool of red maps before you go for reds.
Bare minimum would be around 100+ atlas bonus and like 20ish red maps.
If you are lucky thats good enough to kickstart the snowballing process but dont expect that. It might actually take several approaches, which means you will drop down to yellows and have to rebuild a decent pool and try again.

Usually my league starter hits about lvl90-91 before I go for reds, if Im unwilling to buy maps for faster unlocks. If you buy unlocks, you can do it a lot faster. Up to you.
Expect it to be grindy and frustrating sometimes. Just dont give up and you will succeed.

Sustaining red maps is supposed to be a time and cash sink.
Keep that in mind and adjust your expectations.

Cheers

Ive read your answers. I already do what you have written, except sextants, because Master ones are very expensive and dont drop and I have my atlas at 158/157, not especially shaped.

I wondering about your conclusion. You start your text by saying "You should expect to drop out of red maps sometimes". In the middle you say "NEVER EXPECT DROPS!" and still you claim "I sustained red maps".
In my book thats not "being able to sustain red maps".

Another question I have is: Where do you get your currency from to reroll your maps? From mapping alone?
You're not doing anything wrong. If you want to check off every map in the Atlas then you'll probably need to spend currency buying the maps that you need. Tier 13 or higher and they get expensive, but you don't have to check off every map either. It's kind of counter intuitive that you dislike Bestiary league. You can go in your Menagerie and conjure up a set of 10 orbs that lets you change a map to a different one of the same tier. That would help your problem to some extent.
Builds
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2149153
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2245701
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2664371
Shaper Guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2252008

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info