[3.5]- The FireWood Tank Champion | Molten strike sword Dual wield | Shaper down

Hi,

I've been theory crafting a Champion MS build of my own. I saw your passive tree and couldn't help but remark its suboptimality. I have plugged my own tree into your build:
https://pastebin.com/Tp1J1r5F
This tree provides more life, more damage, and contains less nodes. I hope you find it helpful and are perhaps even able to improve on it further.

Peace

EDIT: pasted the wrong link, meant to show this one
Last edited by davydavidsson on Aug 14, 2018, 6:17:43 AM
"
davydavidsson wrote:
Hi,

I've been theory crafting a Champion MS build of my own. I saw your passive tree and couldn't help but remark its suboptimality. I have plugged my own tree into your build:
https://pastebin.com/Py9rHTR5
This tree provides more life, more damage, and contains less nodes. I hope you find it helpful and are perhaps even able to improve on it further.

Peace

Hi there,

I completely agree that the tree is far from optimized. Been working on it but I wasn't able to reach a version that was satisfactory to post as an update.

I'll take a look at your version as soon as I can (currently at work so can't check it out now) and let you know. Thanks for taking the time to improve the build mate!!

Cheers!!
i just checked his updated tree. looks exact same like original?
"
i just checked his updated tree. looks exact same like original?

My bad, pasted the wrong link...
tried it . ran out of mana fast and dps was lower and most important thing is i wasted 2 exalts

Hi,

https://pastebin.com/Tp1J1r5F

Peace

EDIT: pasted the wrong link, meant to show this one
Last edited by morticas on Aug 14, 2018, 2:01:55 PM
Did you take the leech node?
Hi davydavidsson, I'm the co-creator of the build and I've had a look at your suggested tree. While the suggested tree does have higher average magma ball damage, there were several issues that need to be fixed.

Firstly, there is no mana leech on the tree. This will cause us to be unable to sustain molten strike for any reasonable period of time, as mentioned by morticas and Nin_tu1977.

Secondly, the tree lost an entire attack per second compared to the initial tree. Note here, you need to look at the attack rate for the melee strike and not the magma balls. PoB for some reason does not seem to accurately consider attack speed increases for the magma ball portion of the skill. For example, Multistrike will appear to have no discernable effect on the attack speed of the skill, which we know is simply not true. Since we depend on life gain on ignite/hit as our primary life recovery mechanic, lower attack speed leads to lower life recovery per second resulting in survivability issues.

Thirdly, the tree lost nearly 5k+ armor (16k intially vs 9k). While this is still a good amount of armour, you will notice the difference in some of the more rippy maps and end game boss fights (Shaper slam).

Finally, if we calculate the approximate overall dps for magma balls (Avg. ball dmg. x No. of projectiles x APS(of melee strike) x 0.47), the original tree had a dps of 25.926k x 9 x 7.26 x 0.47 = 796k, while the suggested tree has a dps of 28.789k x 9 x 6.26 x 0.47 = 762k. Not much of a difference, but slightly lower effective damage.
(Note: the 0.47 is the approximate chance for a magma ball to land on the enemy, got this form another molten strike build guide, no clue if this is correct. You could make this higher or lower, won't really make a difference when comparing b/w builds).

If interested, you can find the attached PoB link containing the trees we used to draw these conclusions. It contains the original tree, the tree me and Sh4d0w are currently working on and the tree proposed by davydavidsson. The link also has the current items and appropriate config. settings for the build.
PoB link: https://pastebin.com/dkje7zMW
Last edited by Sthyrael on Aug 14, 2018, 3:22:04 PM
"
Firstly, there is no mana leech on the tree. This will cause us to be unable to sustain molten strike for any reasonable period of time, as mentioned by morticas and Nin_tu1977.

Ah yes, that was quite a notable oversight on my part. I've gotten so used to having mana leech on my gear, that I did not consider the leech node to be anyhow useful. I usually get mana leech from having the Warlord's Mark Elder mod on a ring, or in the case of MS Thief's Torment even works. Admittedly without these options available, the leech node will be very much vital.

"
Thirdly, the tree lost nearly 5k+ armor (16k intially vs 9k). While this is still a good amount of armour, you will notice the difference in some of the more rippy maps and end game boss fights (Shaper slam).

This is just a matter of picking different ascendancies, if anything, my tree provides more armour without considering ascendancies. My ascendancy preference is due to armour getting increasingly ineffective the greater the hits you take, and big hits are the greatest issue for MS builds.

"
Secondly, the tree lost an entire attack per second compared to the initial tree. Note here, you need to look at the attack rate for the melee strike and not the magma balls. PoB for some reason does not seem to accurately consider attack speed increases for the magma ball portion of the skill. For example, Multistrike will appear to have no discernable effect on the attack speed of the skill, which we know is simply not true. Since we depend on life gain on ignite/hit as our primary life recovery mechanic, lower attack speed leads to lower life recovery per second resulting in survivability issues.

I was not aware of these quirks with PoB, my bad. Then again, I usually run Ancestral Call instead of Multistrike, because it gives you more movement flexibility and provides more projectiles per unit of time (when used correctly).
Last edited by davydavidsson on Aug 21, 2018, 9:22:48 AM
I'm tempted to go with this build instead of the 1H Undeniable Juggernaut (which I already built for Incursion).

Can this build do Uber Elder? I'm very happy with everything else I have seen so far from the build.

Regards!
Last edited by Hman120 on Aug 29, 2018, 12:31:05 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info