Oni-Goroshi in Current League - are You gonna farm it or drop it?

Oh yeah I almost got him down. I am a loser and did all of this with marauders so its my fault to be fair. To many zombies, I actually had him like two hits away from death before I managed to get disconnected from the instance and it reset, so my hopes and dreams are gone on that one. Gonna need to keep going if I want it.

The zombies were the hardest part of that to be honest. If you are playing something that doesn't get an AoE gem at start it makes it a pain in the butt. Since Marauder gets heavy strike I had to use that.

If I wasn't being stubborn and wanting to do shit my own way. I would have done the scion method. Which would have made it cake walk. To each his own.

Edit:

I should also add hitting him with Heavy Strike with the amount of zombies he had out, was also a crazy ordeal because of how hard he is to target.

Edit 2: Don't forget to eat while doing this. I am a hungry boy now.
Last edited by Airugarion on Dec 28, 2018, 11:36:49 PM
"
Airugarion wrote:

Someone send me many sanity. I need it back.

EDIT: LMAO, welp there goes that, crashed. Someone end me.

This game is insane.

I see Charan's explained there's a melee trick, more staying close to earth and not too lofty and kitey, eh?

Good luck next time.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
erdelyii wrote:

Yep, knew that about the farts. Have read the letters, many years ago now. He was a saucy erudite man, that one.

I figured, but it's nice to dredge these things up, lest we get a bit too lofty.

Couldn't agree more.

"
Charan wrote:
I've been dwelling just now (past hour or so, as I grind for something that may or may not relate to this thread) on this idea that it's okay to write whatever you want, for whatever reason. That's true, but I think where I went wrong with some of this dialogue is I wrote it purely for me, and then had the nerve to make it public. And not just for me, but for a me that no longer exists, an ephemeral version that really could have done with higher standards. The me I am now would slap that other me around a bit for such hubris.

Can't comment on the objective merits of the writing, as I've never used the sword. Sometimes the most personal stufff is the most cringeworthy, but we're always way too harsh on ourselves. Give it another ten years and you might be less harsh on yourself.

"
Charan wrote:
And taking that further, I do wonder if it's possible to improve if you never work to another's standards (even if that other might be a more level-headed future self, but how the hell can we know what that person might think?). I figured that 'genius' might in fact be that rarest of abilities to genuinely improve in a vacuum...but even Joyce had to eventually succumb to the influence of editors and feedback.

OH, shit, that reminds me of a quote. I want to say it was Goethe but I can't find easy googlefu proof of it and now it's pissing me off. Gaiman has said 'literature cannot exist in a vacuum' but I'm dead sure he's cribbing someone much older and deader. Anyway, it was like the perfect justification for things like reader critique and workshopping. Essentially it was 'genius cannot exist in a vacuum'. Fuck, this is really bothering me now.

Not what you're thinking of, but related -

"
Oh, dear me, how unspeakably funny and owlishly idiotic and grotesque was that ‘plagiarism’ farce! As if there was much of anything in any human utterance, oral or written, except plagiarism! The kernel, the soul — let us go further and say the substance, the bulk, the actual and valuable material of all human utterances — is plagiarism. For substantially all ideas are second-hand, consciously and unconsciously drawn from a million outside sources, and daily use by the garnerer with a pride and satisfaction born of the superstition that he originated them; whereas there is not a rag of originality about them anywhere except the little discoloration they get from his mental and moral calibre and his temperament, and which is revealed in characteristics of phrasing. When a great orator makes a great speech you are listening to ten centuries and ten thousand men — but we call it his speech, and really some exceedingly small portion of it is his. (Mark Twain’s Letters, Vol. 2 of 2, as sited at Brain Pickings.).
-Mark Twain in a letter to Helen Keller

"
Charan wrote:

ANYWAY, I think that's a little lie we like to tell ourselves. That genius can work in a vacuum, that it answers to no one because it's its own authority unto itself. Not that we are geniuses, of course -- we are far too beholden to others for that. But that this might be the dream, to be so utterly, intrinsically right that we can tell anyone who disagrees they can fuck off. A moment of genius-like sensation.

...I think a person is very fortunate if they can experience that even once in their lifetime, but probably very unfortunate if they experience it too much.

I think, oddly enough, you begat something with the - I don't know who did it, but my god, it's like Shakespeare and James Joyce had a baby and Dickens was the midwife.

genius (n.)
late 14c., "tutelary or moral spirit" who guides and governs an individual through life, from Latin genius "guardian deity or spirit which watches over each person from birth; spirit, incarnation; wit, talent;" also "prophetic skill; the male spirit of a gens," originally "generative power" (or "inborn nature"), from PIE *gen(e)-yo-, from root *gene- "give birth, beget," with derivatives referring to procreation and familial and tribal groups. Sense of "characteristic disposition" of a person is from 1580s. Meaning "person of natural intelligence or talent" and that of "exalted natural mental ability" are first recorded 1640s.

It's not so much working in a vacuum as being right, as you say, unencumbered - so confident, clear, and creative that one rises above the sea of ideas and makes a mark. Some people take a lot of absorbing and reflecting to get there and some are just brilliant without so much exposure to others.

Clarity is so important. Clarity of purpose, of expression, of spirit. Maybe it's about timing, too, but then maybe with the talk of rising above and marks I'm well into the sporting realm.

Height helps too, if you're not quick..

Regarding Hillock's zombie slam, it's also a reference to cruel and merciless hillock. They too had this ability (the map version still has it), but it was easy to deal with due to the amount of tools at the player's disposal and the fact that it's just hillock with a couple more levels.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
General query: is it possible to murder somebody who's already...wait, no, wrong question. Is it possible to get to level 10 in the Twilight Strand? In my experience monsters stop giving experience once the gap is 7 levels down, but that is data from long ago and might have changed.

my 2bits of knowledge : of the 14 Oni swords acquired (using one of each class at least once), I've had 3 characters take me to the Level 9 club [9.03,9.09,9.46]. I cleared ALL zombies (and opened all barrels/crates), as well as defeat Hillock. At level 9, I believe you get 1 XP per zombie. That was half of the previous level, which was half again of it's previous level, etc.

I never made one to level 10 - question being : does PoE do fractional XP?
Last edited by ChzBoi on Dec 29, 2018, 4:24:10 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Nope, 1 exp would be the base. And maybe Twilight Strand shares a certain 'you always get some exp per kill' attribute with some Maps. I'm genuinely not sure.

9.46. JESUS.

I just found some old notes which I scribbled "10/5/2/1"...if it was truly 1/2 xp, there would be a 2.5 in there instead of 2....they must round down.

and even at 9.46 - I still got it! :-) let those end game grinders "hope" for their loot - I know I'll get mine sooner or later...or much, much later......
"
Earthslug wrote:
Why the hell is that sword even so good?

Honestly, I cannot wrap my mind around why people farm this thing. Its like something designed solely to test human psychology.

People say its for leveling, waste 2+ weeks farming it, when they could already be level 90. They could have run around and scrounged up enough currency to buy a Thief's Torment, which would allow them to basically sleep-walk through the entire game, and/or a Tabula Rasa, which would also allow them to afk through the entire game. Hell, even a couple rings with elreon's mod on it.

And to top it off, its not even expensive. Its currently 1.8ex. Its a complete waste of time to farm it.

SSF I understand, if you just have to have it. Outside that, I have to question people's sanity for grinding this thing for 2-3 weeks. Its like Charan wanted to pray on people's OCD and mental behaviors. Job well done I say.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Prey. And not really. I needed to come up with a guaranteed way for new characters to get the sword that was a challenge and Hillock-related because even with Unleashed it was implied the sword inside him was possibly her (hence him dropping Rebirth cards in cruel and merciless). Can you think of a better one than this? Recipe items can be muled down. Random drop is boring.

The sword isn't meant to exist in Wraeclast, which is why you sort of play parallel universe games to get it.

And if there's any OCD preying going on, I'd argue all I'm doing there is following the spirit of GGG's game design. The entirety of PoE rewards OCD behaviour. It's a fucking ARPG, after all.

If you're just about levels and power, obviously the sword isn't for you. Saying 'why spend 2 weeks farming this thing when you can get to level 90 just playing' is like asking why someone might spend time crafting their own pottery when they can just go down to the dollar store and buy a bucket. Or knitting a sweater when you can get one at Walmart for fuck-all. If you don't get it, you don't get it. And that's fine. Clearly some people do. And that's fine too.

If no one did, I imagine this thread would be a lot quieter. Or just wouldn't exist. That it does is testament to the success of my design and my grind idea.

I do feel like they kinda cheapened it with divination cards, personally. It should have just stayed like it was so people actually were rewarded for that kind of grind.

And yea I mean prey, lol.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Aren't the Rebirth cards sort of rare? They're a lot rarer than I wanted them to be, but I guess when you have a million monkeys banging away at typewriters, to paraphrase the old adage...

That's the only reason I could imagine that sword being that cheap. Unless bots just churn them out, which could be another, but I'll try to have a positive outlook about the reason for it.

And I just dont like divination cards for something like that because while I dont understand the grind, I at least respect it, and something like that should stay for people who made the effort. To me, divination cards sorta short-change it.
Last edited by Destructodave on Dec 29, 2018, 11:08:36 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I've answered this in an edit. :)

Ah, that's cool then if that's how you wanted it. And obviously, I didn't know extra came with it if you actually found it. I generally play similar builds every league and an Oni-goroshi build never crossed my mind. I also always thought it would be more expensive, too. I can't see people who actually farmed for it wanting to trade it, but I might be wrong. If I ever farmed it on my own, it would just sit in my stash before I traded it off.
If you did nothing else, working a full 12 hour day, you could probably make a decent sword in 2 days if you know what you're doing. This depends on the style of sword and the method you're using to make it, but generally most steel swords are made by hammer and grind, heating and folding, or the more advanced technique of splitting into vortices; plaiting and welding. The latter method puts a natural fuller into the blade and was the common technique from 6th century onwards in western Europe.

'Course there's Japanese versions, but that had the all-important grind word in it.

Apt, or something.

"
FCK42 wrote:
Regarding Hillock's zombie slam, it's also a reference to cruel and merciless hillock. They too had this ability (the map version still has it), but it was easy to deal with due to the amount of tools at the player's disposal and the fact that it's just hillock with a couple more levels.

Yes, remember when he was the Shore Boss, and up a sand gully? He seems kind of weak in the Dunes.

I still don't remember THAT many zombies as in the picture in the thread. That ... only time I've seen that type of thing is in a Haku mission where endless necromancers spawned one time, and made it undoable, if hilarious for a short time. I guess they fixed that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info