Risk versus Reward in PoE: Bosses

"
Heli0nix wrote:
1/ Do you feel rewarded when killing bosses ?
( including story part )

2/ If the answer to question 1 is no, why ? What do you suggest to improve that part ?

Note 1: Will sort out suggestions in main post later - at work atm )
Note 2: I did like to also have answers from "new" players if you bringed some to the game recently feel free to share this post with them.

Wait...

Did you just create a poll with only 1 answer and it being "No"? What a memer xD
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
Ashwin wrote:
2. Here are a few options:

a. Boss has a guaranteed map drop of the same tier, with a 50% chance to drop +1 tier and a 25% chance to drop +2 tier.

That would ruin the game. There would be so many T15 maps in circulation that people would be vendoring them for ID scrolls.

Come now, this comment was a little hyperbolic.

Ruin the game? Is the entire economy in PoE based on map trading at this point? I thought it was good rares, uniques and currency, and maps really only got added to that base in this league because of the new (and shit) Atlas set-up and drop rate.

You pulled out this single pillar and the economy will collapse?
at poe autism is rewarded highly:

get biscos farm the same map over and over again, forget the meaning of fun after 8 hours of farming:

holy moly uber duper 10ex+ profit.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:
"
Heli0nix wrote:
1/ Do you feel rewarded when killing bosses ?
( including story part )

2/ If the answer to question 1 is no, why ? What do you suggest to improve that part ?

Note 1: Will sort out suggestions in main post later - at work atm )
Note 2: I did like to also have answers from "new" players if you bringed some to the game recently feel free to share this post with them.

Wait...

Did you just create a poll with only 1 answer and it being "No"? What a memer xD

Sorry that you interpret it like that. Such questions are a common practice in polls you know :)
Hf :)
"
Heli0nix wrote:

Sorry that you interpret it like that. Such questions are a common practice in polls you know :)

Alright, I'll assume that it's an honest mistake (:

1. Bosses are nice, as soon as I start some Spider Forest no boss farming, I'm instantly out
2. Bosses are great because they make the map less monotone and since I play early league only, I do bosses as much as I can to get some good map drops and even have had some great uniques drop.

When it comes to changing, then non-map drops should / could be improved, especially for multi phase high tier bosses.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
Most bosses are still a cake walk. Anything that has forced phases is a pass. Too much time for nothing. I’d say 80% of the time they don’t even drop a same tier map.
Deliver pain exquisite
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
Ashwin wrote:
2. Here are a few options:

a. Boss has a guaranteed map drop of the same tier, with a 50% chance to drop +1 tier and a 25% chance to drop +2 tier.

That would ruin the game. There would be so many T15 maps in circulation that people would be vendoring them for ID scrolls.

The very premise that playable content in the game is RNG based is a pretty sad state to be in. I can understand grinding for loot in a game, but grinding for access to content, I don't quite agree with.

I do realize that my suggestion would result in people finding plenty of maps, but I don't see how that would "ruin the game". If you are talking about trading, sure, people would no longer need to buy maps, but that is my entire point. You shouldn't be expected to trade in order to get access to content. Taking the stereotype to the extreme, how would you feel if you started on twilight strand, had to grind Hillock until he dropped the "Lioneye's Watch Key" before you could access lioneye's watch, and every boss thereon did the same - you grind Brutus for the key to prisoner's gate, Merveil for the key to the Southern forest, etc. The current state of the game is similar to that, where you are forced to grind content that you are overqualified for, just because GGG feels that gating game content behind RNG is a good motivator to play the game. Unfortunately, it isn't.
"
Ashwin wrote:

The very premise that playable content in the game is RNG based is a pretty sad state to be in. I can understand grinding for loot in a game, but grinding for access to content, I don't quite agree with.

I do realize that my suggestion would result in people finding plenty of maps, but I don't see how that would "ruin the game". If you are talking about trading, sure, people would no longer need to buy maps, but that is my entire point. You shouldn't be expected to trade in order to get access to content. Taking the stereotype to the extreme, how would you feel if you started on twilight strand, had to grind Hillock until he dropped the "Lioneye's Watch Key" before you could access lioneye's watch, and every boss thereon did the same - you grind Brutus for the key to prisoner's gate, Merveil for the key to the Southern forest, etc. The current state of the game is similar to that, where you are forced to grind content that you are overqualified for, just because GGG feels that gating game content behind RNG is a good motivator to play the game. Unfortunately, it isn't.

Very interesting point of view!

With maps it is a little bit different tho since you're not flat out killing the boss over and over for a reward but you're forced to take some important decisions on how you approach it.

How much do you invest in this map to progress forward? Do I do blue Guardian map and get my Guardian kill or do I go 150 quant and possibly rip myself but also get more rewarded for it? Do you vaal a map and possibly have it ruined or improved? So on and on.

If maps would become irrelevant in price, they might as well be acts, which would probably the next thing that will be suggested then.
Maps not being worth 1 wisdom scroll adds more risk / analysis to the game which is healthy.
Last edited by Kiss_Me_Quick on Jan 22, 2018, 2:15:11 PM
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:
How much do you invest in this map to progress forward? Do I do blue Guardian map and get my Guardian kill or do I go 150 quant and possibly rip myself but also get more rewarded for it? Do you vaal a map and possibly have it ruined or improved? So on and on.

If maps would become irrelevant in price, they might as well be acts, which would probably the next thing that will be suggested then.
Maps not being worth 1 wisdom scroll adds more risk / analysis to the game which is healthy.

This is a fair point, but it only emphasizes the RNGness of content. Like you say, choosing to make a map more challenging with the reward of more loot is definitely desirable, however, that isn't the case right now.

The RNG based system of map drops means that your 150 quant map can net you 0 map drops, while a random 60 quant map can give you two or three maps of higher tiers. If it were changed so that a 100+ quant map would guarantee a +1 or +2, it would be a better system in my opinion. But as it stands, it's totally random, which is annoying.

This goes back to the point where access to content shouldn't be RNG based.
I have to say i'm kinda disappointed with the "new" tier 15 map bosses..so many phases but lacks the rewards.

Hell i even skip the bosses because they're a joke and waste of time

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info