[3.2] Doms Life Assassin Discharger Beast Strangler

"
Nedieth wrote:
Hey, thought I'd stop by and link my discharger for the league. As always, discharge is a build that you can use all that hard earned cash on, and it will perform worse than your other character. I really wanted to make a character that does not rely on flasks at all, so that it could be Shaper viable etc. even without optimal gear. So far, only Phoenix has been a real pain in the ass (as expected), and Shaper dies relatively fast. The character is great for mapping, and even in t16s, I am able to mostly just shield charge around like an idiot.

In the gear I am linking, I have my boss killing setup with Firestorm in the main link. Without it, the discharges are pretty bad on longer fights. I am also using Blade Flurry, since I both hate Cyclone, and I want to reserve 99% of my mana. You don't need the Watcher's eye with both leech and reduced mana, and can replace the mana mod with a -8 elreon ring.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Gear:

Tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBAAQHBLMHHgj0DdEOSA_EEJIRLREvEZYWbxa_Fy8XsBo4G8gc3B0UHxggbiL0IzYkqiSwJpUnLyj6KgsrCiycLdIyMjLRNj026TdHOlg7fDwFPV9FR0V8RZ1JUUqLTLNQMFH7UlNTEFNSVUtVxl3yYeJirGNDZlRo8mpDa6xsC2yMbRlwUnyDf8aApIKbg9uFe4V9idOMNo5kjxqPRpBVkyeVLpeVl5eX9Jitmjua4J2qoS-iAKKjpwi0OLb6uJO4yrxvvOq-isBmzRbP3dAf2YbbXuFz42rjhOUZ6-7sOO987-vwH_DV8Yr3pvnd-tL79Q==?accountName=Nedieth&characterName=NediDischarge

When you say 'great at mapping' do you mean also great at surviving in maps? Like, how often do you die to random bullshit? Because I really wanted to push a Discharge build to 100 as a last league goal, but I gave up at a mere 90 because it just felt hopeless. I tried arctic armor, I tried blasphemy/enfeeble, I tried pathing down to vaal pact, I tried getting 6K HP. I even tried doing the build as a Slayer for overleech, but no matter what, there'd be situations where my character just goes boom.

The only thing I didn't try is that watcher's eye jewel, because I was sick of wasting currency on respecs and experiments, and I didn't think it was going to magically stop me from getting instagibbed from time to time. But since you're using it, let me ask; how much difference does it make? I can see how you'd be able to do guardians and shaper (where every attack is telegraphed and avoidable) but what about maps, abyss mobs, map bosses? How you do against them?

I feel way better using BF over the traditional cyclone. Since it is a channel skill, I can interrupt it very quickly without being locked by any kind of animation. Since I don't really need any of my flask, I could also go for a more defensive flask setup. Since I haven't really cared about xp efficiency, I haven't really paid any attention to what I die to. I think most of my deaths so far has been learning how to manage guardians as a non VP discharger.

I can record a video of some mapping if you want to see how I deal with abysses with BF if you want?
"
Nedieth wrote:
I feel way better using BF over the traditional cyclone. Since it is a channel skill, I can interrupt it very quickly without being locked by any kind of animation. Since I don't really need any of my flask, I could also go for a more defensive flask setup. Since I haven't really cared about xp efficiency, I haven't really paid any attention to what I die to. I think most of my deaths so far has been learning how to manage guardians as a non VP discharger.

I can record a video of some mapping if you want to see how I deal with abysses with BF if you want?

Nah, that's okay, I use BF too so I know exactly how it works. I much prefer it too and with 2x Eleron rings the mana cost is zero. I definitely agree it's far more mobile.

I've tried defensive flasks too, a basalt and triple balanced wise oak. Tried Vinkars/Atziri's for extra leech. Tried a stibnite.

The real problem is lack of insta leech and lack of 8K EHP like the old days. It's sad but Discharge just doesn't excel at anything anymore aside from looking cool. :(

But mainly I was wondering about that Watcher's Eye jewel you used. It's the one thing I never tried. Do you feel it contributed a lot to your survivability?
I played without any kind of leech at all until I got it, so for me it did. Running vitality and having some leech works really well in combination with the long immortal call. Since we just have 5-6k life on discharger these days, the leech cap is extremely low, so I think the life gained on hit version could be better. I have started to use firestorm all the time now, so it would provide plenty of hits. a CWDT GMP/slower proj ball lightning setup should also provide 100-200 life/sec per target alone. I can report back once I get enough money to buy it.
I went ahead and got one:

And yeah it does make a huge difference, especially with that secondary mod. Between Purity of Ice, Arctic Armor, and Chaos Golem, I have about 25% phys reduction even before Fortify. With the life gain on hit, I feel pretty safe against Abyss packs. Bosses are a little sketchier because they can still one shot with bad mods. But with easy mods, he can pretty much face tank. The life gain on hit is nothing like old VP, but with a seething flask to help, it's not too bad. I also swapped in a Rumi's instead of my Quicksilver for even more phys reduction and 50% block.

Problem is, I lose Herald of Ice. I don't think that's a huge deal, though. Gore Herald was pretty bad for frames anyway.

My main problem now is getting more HP. I just barely have 5K, but a few levels should help.

Damage is another problem. With 7% life on every jewel, my jewels don't have a ton of DPS. I'd have about half the DPS of yours, but then again, I'm not aiming for guardians. Just XP farming.

Overall I think it might actually be possible to push to 100 as long as I stick to easy T9s and T10s. Gonna take a looooong time though, especially without a quicksilver. Sigh. Discharge is in such a bad state. 150ex of gear and hours of respeccing and experimenting, and in the end, my cheap shitty Dual Strike Gladiator outperforms it in virtually every respect lmao.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itj-eMURa4U&feature=youtu.be

Small video of it in action, sorry for late post not played in last few months
@Dom, I can upload a full guardian map run you can use if you want. My character ended up being pretty damn strong, and even though it is not identical to what you suggest, it shows off the potential of the build quite well for leagues.
Yeah if you wish, i will link it in the build guide thank you
Did a Hydra run that was relatively smooth. The character is quite a bit slower than it is with Insanity crafted gloves, but the Tombfists give me too much HP and damage to give up.

https://youtu.be/e2TkYxPyK8E

I enjoyed the build a lot, but as always, crit discharge is not where you get the most bang for your bucks. Well, you do get a lot of bangs, and I guess that is why it feels so nice to play. Bossing works OK-ish without the firestorm in the CoC link as well, but it feels a bit too random how many charges I can get when the Diamond Flask is down.
Last edited by Nedieth on Feb 19, 2018, 4:11:13 PM
Still working in 3.2 and single target damage been buffed

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info