[3.1] Poet's Pen Volatile Dead - all content - HC/SC

"
Alizae wrote:
Doing this as scion, i dont really like it :/ dps kinda shit somehow. Having a trouble there and there. I should probably drop ventor and bisco but whatever

Struggling on some bosses, even on abyss monster that spawn on T14/15 map

Uhh, you really need 2x opal with fire dmg... Look mine, they were pretty cheap to craft.
build is sick but expensive..
this watcher's eye is the best for this build.. running Mind Over Matter w/ it w/ this glove setup
So if I use leech with Vitality from the jewel. What aura do I take off to use vitality?
"
i have 0.20 cooldown time for volatile dead,
so i gonna need 5 attack speed on frenzy???

This im wondering too, this guide is poorly explained, and took me awhile before i even noticed the acuity part, and the watchers eye's wich is atleast 15 exalts

would be nice to get this build more in depth and explained properly, diffrent alternatives etc
"
WhiteShip wrote:
So if I use leech with Vitality from the jewel. What aura do I take off to use vitality?

You could take of Herald of Ice, since that's the less important of the two (you'd be losing on the cold damage/ability to freeze and shatter, but something's gotta give). If you're not using Kaom's Heart, then you'd have a lot of free slots. You could consider using Enlighten to have all 3 of Anger, Herald of Ice and Vitality.

"
Kiehn123 wrote:
"
i have 0.20 cooldown time for volatile dead,
so i gonna need 5 attack speed on frenzy???

This im wondering too, this guide is poorly explained, and took me awhile before i even noticed the acuity part, and the watchers eye's wich is atleast 15 exalts

would be nice to get this build more in depth and explained properly, diffrent alternatives etc

Ultimately, you have no problem as long as the cooldown time of your spells is shorter than your Frenzy attack speed. How it works is (as far as I'm aware): the moment you use Frenzy, Unearth/Volatile Dead trigger. So in your case, 0.20 seconds after that, those spells are ready to go again. So as long as Frenzy's attack speed is slower than that, by the time you use Frenzy again, Unearth/Volatile Dead are good to go. But suppose you've somehow reduced Frenzy's cooldown to 0.19 seconds. Then the second time you use Frenzy, those spells aren't ready, making that instance of Frenzy basically useless in terms of your effective DPS.

So you want as high attack speed as possible on Frenzy, since that determines how often you're triggering Unearth/DPS, which are the meat and potatoes of your DPS, but the cooldown time on those have to be faster than Frenzy.

Hope that helps, I'm not sure I explained that well.

- - -

A question of my own. I'm lvl 93 on my Scion right now, with basically all the "necessary" gear aside from a Starkonja's with the enchantment (using a Devoto's in its place) and cooldown reduction gear (since getting cooldown gear with life and resistance is hella expensive). I was wondering if anyone's gotten this build to lvl 100. If so, what are some of the strengths and/or weaknesses of this build in terms of getting those last levels, compared to other builds?

Thanks
"
WhiteShip wrote:

Iam using Anger + vitality + herald, because my jewel gives leek with Anger AND Vitality. I solved it that I connected all this jewels with Enlighten which will leave you with about 50 mana, which is MORE than enough as you will regenerate more than frenzy use (frenzy is like 12 damn mana per use).
"
Krabbsatan wrote:
Videos:

Shaper kill (pretty bad gear at this point, was like day 3 of league): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta-4h82IVIs

Chayula kill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWqoEUm_p3w

---

This is a build that shines on bosses but also has pretty smooth mapping.

DPS: 1 - 2 million with good gear, depending on buffs

Life: Up to 8k with kaoms, 7k easily achievable

---

The build works by using Poet's Pen wand. The wand casts any spells socketed in it every time you attack.

So we trigger the spells by using a frenzy curse on hit setup.

One wand casts unearth which creates corpses. The other wand casts volatile dead on those corpses.

---

Build can be played as Scion, Inquisitor, Pathfinder, Raider

I recommend Scion it's the best all round and also best for hardcore in my opinion.

The reason is Slayer life leech effects are not removed on full life which I think is one of the strongest defenses in the game when combined with vaal pact.

Slayer leech basically gives you permanent 20% life regen if you deal enough damage. 40% with Vaal Pact and 60% with the CWDT + Blood Rage + Immortal Call + Soul of Arakaali upgraded pantheon (50% increased Recovery of Life and Energy Shield if you've stopped taking Damage Over Time Recently).

The build already has very good damage so getting extra damage from inquis is not as important as having 40-60% life regen which is up almost all the time.

Don't bother with life gain on hit from spells, it does not heal enough to make a difference.

The elemental penetration from inquis is nice but it's much easier to get elemental penetration now. Wise Oak + Abyssal Jewels + Shaper Amulet is enough.

---

Tree and Gear

Path of Building Inquisitor: https://pastebin.com/ehefuxrN
Skilltree: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.1.1/AAAABAABABzcEFhBh6hyjxr56O98hXvQ9bQ4wGY64SaVguRmVLiTuZPyHb687-upSASzDkhVS4w2rrMFQklRlS69J0WdGjiCmwQHl5fA46i7ES0y0ZBVS1dwUpM6i4ymMjwFb56HZQhnXfJSU6ZXTePyRevu7DjtPGpDFr81kvDVVcakDLc-LJyCx7FbPC2DCYnTCap3B76AfIP53di9TLNBltLonKSP-uv1_gqXlXvDt9bbWaIA8B862Cj6aPKDX7zqkBFg3mHiBx4DBIcTsZARlhhW8bMnL4PMRXwqC5_f-_VTUtAfAl-a4Bg8PV8I9EVH2fzlGTpY1aaD28MJmjvAmv6PLag=

Path of Building Scion with Acuity: https://pastebin.com/YWDPWgK1
Skilltree: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.1.1/AAAABAABABzcEFhBh6hyjxr56O98hXvQ9bQ4wGY64SaVguRmVLiTuZPyHb687-upSASzPV9VS4w2rrMFQprgRXy9J0Wdf8YaOBhWBAeXl2DeqLsRLTLRkFVLV3BSYeKLjKYyUXRvnodlCGdd8lJTplco-qaZ6-7sOO08akMWvzWS8NVVxqQMtz4snILH8B88LYMJidPVpr6AfIMYPNi9TLNo8tLoCPSP-uv1_o8HHsCamjvDCZeVe8OD2zpY8kW4yrFbkBFN4zwFg19BlhqBkzqio_4KD8Q7fKIAEZbA47fWgpvbWTrYlS686vv1U1LQHwJfSVH53Q5IAwRFR9n85RmxkAmq8bMnL4PMKguf3y2o

Path of Building Scion (no Acuity): https://pastebin.com/N0bpysR6
Skilltree: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.1.1/AAAABAABABzcEFhBh6hyjxr56O98XznQ9ZsttDjAZjrhTiq4k7mT8h2K8O_rBLMOSFVLjDauswVCSVG-p5UuvSdFnX_GGbSCmwQHl5dg3qi7Kjgy0XBSkzqLjEQlpjJRdIdlCGdd8lJTpldN48Hzppnr7mVNwJrtPGpDogA1kv6PVcakDA_ELJy9NoLHsVuVIIMJidPVpr6AfIP53di9LR9Ms0GW0uiaO4_66_W31gceapMWv_DVl5VFRwmqg9vyRbjK8B8o-kd-AwRFfDwFsZD-CmjyYeKwq8SCEZb3fREtCPS86qKjGFZM__v1O3zQHwJfJpWa4CoLn9_bWdn85RlTUhg8PV8agbc-wwk6WC2o

Important! One of my pens have modified damage values for easier damage calculations. Look at average damage of volatile dead, not DPS

Bandits:

Kraityn for slightly faster clearspeed
Alira for slightly higher damage and ease of gearing

Ascendancy order:

Scion: Assassin-> Slayer
Inquisitor: Instruments -> Inevitable -> Augary

Current Inquis gear:

The raise spectre in the boots is supposed to be Assassin's Mark, sorry about that.

I'm using the Watcher's Eye that gives 1.5% life leech while affected by anger. If you can't afford it there are other options for leech.

Budget:

Curse on Hit Warlords Mark instead of Assassins mark + Atziri's Promise

Medium:

Eye of innocence + Mokou's Embrace

or

Watcher's Eye with leech while affected by Vitality

High:

Watcher's Eye fire leech Anger

---

Cooldown Gear:

Default Cooldown of Poet's Pen is 250ms or 4 per second. With cooldown gear (shaper exclusive mod) you can get as low as 200ms or 5 per second.

Therefore it's important to never have more attacks per second than the cooldown. If you attack while the spell is on cooldown nothing happens and you lose DPS. You can check cooldown by hovering the triggered spell in the hotbar.

So fully buffed with no cooldown gear you want to have 3.9 attacks or .26 attack time.

With cooldown gear 4.9 attacks or .21 attack time.

---

Atziri:

Atziri has reflect so you will instantly kill yourself unless you get Yugul Pantheon + Sybil's Lament + Shaper reduced reflect chest.

---

FAQ:

Q: Why not scale only elemental damage to scale the corpse explosion damage
A: We have no data on unearth corpse life so it's hard to know how effective this is. Besides, the strongest part about Volatile Dead is the ability to precast for 5 seconds before a fight and shotgun the boss. Corpse scaling wouldn't help with this

Q: What do I need to start?
A: All you really need are two poet's pen. If you can't afford them you can have the same passive tree just play self cast Volatile Dead and Desecrate until you can farm the poet's.

Q: What items do I get first?
A: Poets > +1 Helm enchant > Kaoms > Cooldown Gear > Acuities > Essence crafted Opals or Shaper Rings with spell damage

Q: What ascendancy do you prefer?
A: Scion best overall imo

Q: Why not use bodyswap?
A: It makes me feel a bit sick, don't like the playstyle

Q: How is the build after the nerf to helm enchant?
A: Still very strong, the enchant was way too powerful, it's still likely the best enchant in the game.

Parabens by the shaper, a doubt why is using culling strike, to be able to evaluate my char if possible to give some tips.
could evaluate my build, if this is correct - thanks
How do you handle elemental reflect besides Arakaali?

What's the priority on jewel rolls if we're 0.39 Frenzy AS? Fire Damage & Life?
† You were a good man in a bad situation, Fairgraves. †
See what I am currently after here: 1767138
Thanks Chris! 2797098
Last edited by RaiseTheSteaks on Jan 25, 2018, 5:00:28 AM
Is there a poor mans way of leeching life? I'm not really having an issue with dying yet, but I can see it becoming one soon. I definitely don't have enough currency to buy one of the 15ex jewels. I'm Scion with Uber Lab completed. Haven't specced in Vaal Pact yet, but figured it pointless without a form of life leech. I tried Bloodrage, but it's just not enough since its just phys attack leech, which is basically just the Frenzied attack only.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info