[3.1 Raider] HOWA we doin'? [Deathless Shaper Up!!]

Little bit of guardian & elder action for those who want to judge it by the cover

Intro
Hey guys Snow here, I'm saying that even though nobody here knows me, but that's besides the point. Back in 2.5 I was a massive meta SLAVE but I loved it. Sadly GGG had nerfed what made HOWA great, great damage and great survivability. Quite frankly it will never be as good as it was back in breach league, but I did what I could to bring the build back. This is what I was able to come up with.

So far in Abyss league I have managed to do every single piece of content. (Shaper, Uber Atziri) with my HOWA character, it doesn't have that amazing of gear either, and it could be pushed even harder, but after playing it for almost 2 weeks straight, I think I'm ready to move onto the next thing (I'm keeping it in case I get the itch).

Im usually streaming whenever I'm playing path of exile so feel free to drop by my twitch https://www.twitch.tv/snoeym if you have questions, or if you want to see the build in action (farming for my next one).

Deathless, No Flask, 5l Shaper. https://youtu.be/mHbH82qE5dE

"What is this "HOWA" you speak of???"

uh this my dude

The build put short can be explained as.
Stack lots of intelligence to get as much as lightning damage as you can out of Hand of Wisdom and Action, then you scale the flat using increased and more modifiers and resist penetration. Your defenses is your own mechanical skill, leech, and life gain on hit from claws (does a decent amount, not enough to facetank guardians mind you but good enough for most encounters)

Need some videos? Here's some videos (More coming)

How much is "lots" of INT to you?
Spoiler

Bandits? To Kill or Not to Kill. (We kind of have to)
Spoiler
I myself stuck with kill all, I feel a good jewel (assuming you grab one of the 2 point jewel sockets) outweighs the benefits of any of the given bandit rewards. Alira is a second choice for me.

Breakdown of Individual pieces of gear I use
Spoiler

Helmet:
Best in slot enchant is 30% Deceleration as it lets Spectral throw (with good spacing) hit 5 times compared to 3 with slower projectiles.

Amulet:
I chose astramentis for this build, more on it later once I explain my belt choice.

Weapons:
Do I really have to explain?(shaper claws have the same exact mod, might get some spicy shaper claws that could be better than HOWA, probably would be rare as hell though)

Rings:
Any rare ring with Int, Life, Resists, Flat lightning + WED is good. Opal is the best but as you can see, my rings are trash.

Chest:
Any good rare with Int life and resists.

Belt:
Personally I chose this belt.
% increased attributes (rolls up to 15%). Some juicy life, and damage based on lowest stat?
(This is why im still using astramentis) Sign me up my dude.

Another choice would be
Much more survivability oriented as being at full life lets you leech ES. Pretty nice for mapping where the extra damage isn't all too necessary

Gloves:
This pair of gloves is great for us. Gives us accuracy based on how much int we have. Accuracy is important because it only applies to attacks, and spectral throw is an attack. So we are at the mercy of accuracy. These gloves make getting accuracy ezpz. Also gives us nice life based on dexterity, and we get a decent amount of dex due to our placement on tree, and astramentis.

Boots:
Nice pair of boots with alotta life int and Res, Movespeed isnt necessary as we rely on whirling blades / carpal tunnel to move us around

Flask Choice
These are the flasks I use for mapping and bosses, Alchemist (Reduced Duration / Increased Flask effect) would be best for Sulphur, and Duration for Silver. However I cannot be asked to reroll as it works good enough for me.

Life flask is your call, I prefer it as I don't find the added damage necessary, however you could just use a Vinktar or Dying sun in the spot.

Skill tree & Unbuffed Path of Building
Spoiler
Level 91 Tree : http://poeurl.com/bHzN

Path of Building Pastebin : https://pastebin.com/gd8m6PUx
Numbers aren't crazy on path of building because I chose to leave it largely unbuffed and let the person who imports it form their own opinion after they are done tinkering with it. At minimum you should enable max frenzies.

Ascendancy Choice
Spoiler
Raider. RaiderRaiderRaiderRaider. Frenzies are great and so is elemental ailment immunity at max frenzies, The order I got them in was
Way of the Poacher > Avatar of the Slaughter > Quartz Infusion > Avatar of the Veil

Pantheon
Spoiler
Major God : Brine King.
Minor God : Ryslatha
I like Ryslatha for labbing and most the time I forget that the system exists

Gem Links
Spoiler
Gem Setup
Weapon 1: Vaal Haste - Increased Duration - Charged Dash (or flame dash, your call)
Weapon 2: Immortal Call - CWDT - Lightning Golem (Level 20)
Helmet: Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Fortify - Ancestral Protector
Gloves: Wrath - Enlighten - Empower - Herald of Thunder
Boots: CWDT - Blade Vortex/Firestorm - Blind - Vortex
Chest (In order of importance): Spectral Throw - Elemental Damage with Attacks - Elemental Focus - Slower Projectiles/GMP - Lightning Penetration - Faster Attacks/Added Lightning/Damage on Full Life

I use Faster attacks for the smoothness while mapping and bossing. Added lightning is the most consistent overall. Damage on full life is the best for max dps, better with soul tether for the ES buffer. However you won't be on full life 100% the time. Your call fit your playstyle.

That's all folks
Thanks for reading my guide, It's the first time I've actually taken the time to write a guide so I imagine that I could've made many mistakes and omitted some important details. If something is missing please yell at me (figuratively not literally) and I'll get on it. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and get back to you.
Last edited by SnoeyPls on Jan 6, 2018, 3:47:16 AM
Last bumped on Feb 11, 2018, 1:41:08 PM
Reserved just in case
Last edited by SnoeyPls on Dec 23, 2017, 6:56:35 PM
Cool build. Not like a normal ST build. Will def try this.
Going to give this a whirl. I would recommend anyone trying to level it to pick up 2 Hand of Thought and Motions to level so you can benefit from the int pathing; makes leveling an absolute breeze.

Where did you take the build first while leveling? Witch to EO and then Duelist?
Last edited by JoeODanger on Dec 25, 2017, 5:07:26 AM
"
JoeODanger wrote:
Going to give this a whirl. I would recommend anyone trying to level it to pick up 2 Hand of Thought and Motions to level so you can benefit from the int pathing; makes leveling an absolute breeze.

Where did you take the build first while leveling? Witch to EO and then Duelist?

Yeah, build while leveling is rather easy. Just grab astramentis & HOTM and you're good to go. I went for EO first then duelist area then just filled out life nodes then damage. Thiefs torment also solves survivability and mana for a very long time
Last edited by SnoeyPls on Dec 25, 2017, 8:10:11 AM
Question: How come you're not taking point blank? It's great for single target and you don't really have any issues with clearing.
"
Anavels wrote:
Question: How come you're not taking point blank? It's great for single target and you don't really have any issues with clearing.

Point blank is good, don't get me wrong. However I don't like taking point blank as a stylistic choice more than just numbers. Point blank does increase your average damage when using slower projectiles, however there are instances where I'd rather not use slower proj from the fear of getting 1-banged (I.e. Uber trio and Phoenix). Your call in the end since we're like 2 points away from it anyways.
in terms of DPS is doesnt seem even close compared to life-ele claw build (), but you reach a little more EHP so the survivability is a little better.
Hey I'm sure you get spammed this question a lot but do you think with Vaal pact changes it may be worth going CI again? Might be able to achieve decent ES values based off of the int you do stack like in the old days.
"
Lavitz323 wrote:
Hey I'm sure you get spammed this question a lot but do you think with Vaal pact changes it may be worth going CI again? Might be able to achieve decent ES values based off of the int you do stack like in the old days.

Honestly I wouldn't be able to give a concrete answer, I feel like it is achievable with the vaal pact changes to ES. Given my current intelligence (1059) that means I receive about 211% increased energy shield off that alone. Couple that with discipline and actually good energy shield gear you could hit some spicy numbers, my only concern is scarcity of pure ES gear with int, decent resistance and the likes. Something I've been toying around with myself is a hybrid setup without Soul Tether using this watcher's eye I dropped a while ago. 24 es on hit, and we hit very rapidly. Keeps me topped up on ES most the time when mapping

Worth it? Can't say myself.

Can it be good? Yes it can, but i'm not interested in running it myself cause I'm content with the character. Could be something for a future project though.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info