If the net neutrality repeal vote goes through

"
1453R wrote:
I have no idea how the rest of the world manages to get away with it so cleanly but good gabbering gods you cannot trust an American capitalist unless there's at least three watchdogs on him at all times to ensure he doesn't go off and do something to screw over everyone else in Creation for some idiotic short-term gain exclusive to them.

It's all about competition. Regulation can do so much for you before it adds more to the problem than it solves. Make ISPs competitive (hell, it applies to many bussinesses) and most stuff will follow.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
1453R wrote:
I have no idea how the rest of the world manages to get away with it so cleanly but good gabbering gods you cannot trust an American capitalist unless there's at least three watchdogs on him at all times to ensure he doesn't go off and do something to screw over everyone else in Creation for some idiotic short-term gain exclusive to them.

It's all about competition. Regulation can do so much for you before it adds more to the problem than it solves. Make ISPs competitive (hell, it applies to many bussinesses) and most stuff will follow.

We tried that. Didn't do our housing market much good. Doesn't stop damn near daily stories of some new scumsucking CEO, even in 'competitive' markets, who got caught doing something wildly unethical to make a quick, dirty buck at the expense of everyone else.

How do you guys manage to get businessmen willing to compete in a fair and honest manner? How does everyone else not end up riddled with psychopathic sociopathic actual criminals in suits who will do literally anything to get their hands on just one more dollar, no matter how much misery it causes or how clearly and indefensibly evil it is?
Last edited by 1453R on Dec 14, 2017, 7:26:16 PM
"
1453R wrote:
We tried that. Didn't do our housing market much good. Doesn't stop damn near daily stories of some new scumsucking CEO, even in 'competitive' markets, who got caught doing something wildly unethical to make a quick, dirty buck at the expense of everyone else.

Housing is usually restricted by zoning and other stuff that overvaluates it (beyond safety needs and similar, of course), so it doesn't behave as well as it could. I think Japan gets that stuff right, but most important metropolitan areas fail hard at it.

"
1453R wrote:
How do you guys manage to get businessmen willing to compete in a fair and honest manner? How does everyone else not end up riddled with psychopathic sociopathic actual criminals in suits who will do literally anything to get their hands on just one more dollar, no matter how much misery it causes or how clearly and indefensibly evil it is?

Competition doesn't mean no regulation though. Usually you don't need a lot of it except in very pathological cases (usually the most conspiscuous ones). Think it of as complementary pairs. Given that you seem left wing I'd say you could see how it's managed in nordic countries.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Dec 14, 2017, 7:54:01 PM
"
1453R wrote:

God, this entire year has been a nightmare. On behalf of all the sane and reasonable people in my country who're as horrified by the events of this badministration as you guys are: I'm so sorry. I swear we tried. I've never been ashamed of being American before but fuckin' hell if the events of this year haven't done the job.

Thanks for your wall of text, I enjoyed it.

You shouldn't feel ashamed. What choices did you have after the democrats killed their most promising candidate?

Heard Sanders will be going at it again in 2020 on DaW, curious to see how that goes.
Perception is reality.
Man guys, Reddit likes to manufacture nonsense. The worry in 2015 was ISP's throttling connections to streaming sites. No ISP was sectioning off websites like Reddit and every other fear monger says they're going to
"
whizzzzbang wrote:
PS - what should I play as my 2nd abyss character?

I heard ethereal knives inquisitors are pretty strong these days...
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
Man guys, Reddit likes to manufacture nonsense. The worry in 2015 was ISP's throttling connections to streaming sites. No ISP was sectioning off websites like Reddit and every other fear monger says they're going to

The point is that they can. If this goes through unopposed absolutely nothing is stopping Big Telecom from doing whatever they bloody well feel like with "their" infrastructure and the data that passes through it. Note the Portugese "Premium Value-Added Package Deal" system shown in the PCGamer article earlier in the thread. Nothing's stopping this company from giving its 'customers' an absolutely unacceptable pittance of a service plan, then bleeding them for every last drop they can get to try and get around the wholly unacceptable 10GB limitation.

I get that this is a mobile data plan, not a hardline house-service plan. Here's the thing: with Neutrality gone, nothing's stopping these bloodsuckers from doing this to house service plans as well. Nothing's stopping them from saying "you want access to high-throughput streaming sites like Netflix or Hulu or such? All right, that's a 30% surcharge on your bill or we're capping you after three gigabytes. I'm sorry, did you pay for 'unlimited' access? We meant 'unlimited access' to slow stuff we don't care about; if you want the data you've already paid for you need to pay us for it again."

Or, let me put it to you this way: nothing's stopping these companies from dictating to you what you see, blocking access to content they don't feel you ought to have, and getting away with it scot free. How're you gonna know, unless you had access to this content before and don't now? Big Telecom controls what gets to you - they can block access to news feeds telling people about them blocking access to other stuff. They control what you see - if they want to squelch any sort of negative reporting on their business practices or decisions, make sure you never see anything but bought-and-paid-for 'glowing praise' of their services, they can do that. No one can stop them. No one can even ask them not to. There's absolutely no regulation, no consumer protections, nothing.

That's what Ajit FUCKING Pai is after - an Internet where his company, and all the other Big Telecom companies are allowed to:

*Pick and choose what you get to see or access, freely and without any repercussions

*Suppress any and all Bad Publicity their hypertoxic business decisions generate freely and without any repercussions

*Charge you multiple times for the same service, dice your service into bite-sized, overpriced chunks of 'premium access', or otherwise find ways to force you to give them more money for less access while paying several different redundant times for access you already have.

*Ensure that any competition to their universally substandard and inferior secondary services are unable to reach customers

*STILL HAVE utility-like protections on their physical infrastructure, allowing them to continue being grandfathered-in monopolies with government protections against competition in their principle service.

Anyone who tells you businessmen have your best interests at heart is either a gullible idiot or a businessman. If that makes me "left wing" then so be it. I would simply consider myself someone who understands that these people cannot be allowed to police themselves because they fucking don't. They never have. And if given their druthers they never, ever will.
Last edited by 1453R on Dec 15, 2017, 11:58:42 AM
Next step: Elect legislature that will pass a law. Take this out of the FCC's hands.
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
1453R wrote:

I can get behind that when there is competition. In most places broadband has a monopoly. This is why Comcast can treat it's customers like shit. There is no alternative.
I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info