Severe Fps Drops post 3.1

Still horrid performance.

Happened after 3.0, and worse with 3.1.

EVGA GTX 1080, Core i7 6700K, 32GB RAM, ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I've tried EVERYTHING, and I really mean that. DX9, DX11, graphics settings in client, adaptive VSync, client only Vsync, no vsync, windowed mode, fullscreen, NVIDIA settings including forced 3D settings for the PoE client, disabling display scaling, updated video drivers (and decent chipset, etc. drivers), new BIOS, removed everything else running in background, clearing all shader caches, performing a trim on the ggpk package file, wiping the entire client and installing from scratch, running /noasync, running with and without multithreading, etc., etc., etc. I even tried this on my old system, which I still have around, and sure enough after updating PoE, it ran far worse than I remember in the 2.x days. It's not as bad in DX11, but still there. Yet I can't use DX11 with multiple monitors while running PoE fullscreen without occasional crashes and blanking of my secondary screen.

The problem is PoE, unfortunately. Bloat and eye candy, and now with abysses and ground effects combined while mapping, it's horrible. I run hundreds of frames a second without problems while standing still, but moving around is constant micro-stuttering, frame rate drops, and worse. Latency is smooth to the servers, it's just the frame rendering and framerate drops that cause horrid micro-stuttering.

Of note: I have a four-core CPU with hyperthreading, so 8 virtual cores. All eight of those cores are constantly 30-40% when playing and sometimes they spike to max out each core. You seriously can't tell me that PoE is supposed to randomly max out 8 virtual cores on a higher-mid range 2016 CPU. Something is seriously screwed up with PoE 3.x, especially 3.1.x

GGG, when are you guys going to optimize the client again? I'm so sick of the performance issues in 3.x, that I'm just no longer motivated to finish the league. Playing any game but PoE right now, and that's sad. I miss PoE.

DxDiag: https://pastebin.com/rnzFBwnD

WinMTR is fine to the DC server: https://pastebin.com/LS5BXV9z

I use AIDA64 to monitor my system. Notice the high CPU usage from PoE (DX9 Ex, fullscreen, Adaptive VSync)...

And a screen cap of framerate and rendering time in-game, desert map with consecrated ground, just popped an Abyss event, with a good number of mobs on the screen at once...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Jan 24, 2018, 10:19:09 AM
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
Still horrid performance.

Happened after 3.0, and worse with 3.1.

EVGA GTX 1080, Core i7 6700K, 32GB RAM, ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I've tried EVERYTHING, and I really mean that. DX9, DX11, graphics settings in client, adaptive VSync, client only Vsync, no vsync, windowed mode, fullscreen, NVIDIA settings including forced 3D settings for the PoE client, disabling display scaling, updated video drivers (and decent chipset, etc. drivers), new BIOS, removed everything else running in background, clearing all shader caches, performing a trim on the ggpk package file, wiping the entire client and installing from scratch, running /noasync, running with and without multithreading, etc., etc., etc. I even tried this on my old system, which I still have around, and sure enough after updating PoE, it ran far worse than I remember in the 2.x days. It's not as bad in DX11, but still there. In DX9 it's worse, but then I can't use DX11 with multiple monitors while running PoE fullscreen without occasional crashes and blanking of my secondary screen.

The problem is PoE, unfortunately. Bloat and eye candy, and now with abysses and ground effects combined while mapping, it's horrible. I ran run hundreds of frames a second without problems while standing still, but moving around is constant micro-stuttering, frame rate drops, and worse. Latency is smooth to the servers, it's just the frame rendering and framerate drops that cause horrid micro-stuttering.

Of note: I have a four-core CPU with hyperthreading, so 8 virtual cores. All eight of those cores are constantly 30-40% when playing and sometimes they spike to max out each core. You seriously can't tell me that PoE is supposed to randomly max out 8 virtual cores on a higher-mid range 2016 CPU. Something is seriously screwed up with PoE 3.x, especially 3.1.x

GGG, when are you guys going to optimize the client again? I'm so sick of the performance issues in 3.x, that I'm just no longer motivated to finish the league. Playing any game but PoE right now, and that's sad. I miss PoE.

DxDiag: https://pastebin.com/rnzFBwnD

WinMTR is fine to the DC server: https://pastebin.com/LS5BXV9z

I use AIDA64 to monitor my system. Notice the high CPU usage from PoE (DX9 Ex, fullscreen, Adaptive VSync)...

And a screen cap of framerate and rendering time in-game, desert map with consecrated ground, just popped an Abyss event, with a good number of mobs on the screen at once...

Is time for this guys to stop expending so much time creating new MTX and new content for the game, and focus only in optimize and fix the game (i know that people that work creating MTX and new content don't work in code or fixing bugs or or whatever, just get more people or make another team that focus on the fixes).
"
Hughs wrote:

Is time for this guys to stop expending so much time creating new MTX and new content for the game, and focus only in optimize and fix the game (i know that people that work creating MTX and new content don't work in code or fixing bugs or or whatever, just get more people or make another team that focus on the fixes).

They won`t do this. They focus on rich players with high-end PC who always do a generous donation. More MTX=more money. I`m always die from sudden terrible FPS drop in Abyss or boss and it makes me so angry on that game with graphics of 2010 year.
Last edited by shadowingo on Jan 24, 2018, 9:40:34 AM
Don't know how they fucked things up so bad. There's no new shit, other than water. Before 3.0 there was just burning ground. Now it seems every goddamn thing causes slowdown. I get slowdown in my incomplete hideout even. Whole game is built around killing hordes of monsters but that's where the biggest performance hit is now. You used to be able to drop a shitload of lightning balls or magma orbs on 20 things on the screen and wouldn't see any dip in your frame rate.

New rig excuse. Old systems suffer now, even new rigs have the same issue so it's most definenetly the goddamn game that's at fault.
I even submitted a support request over e-mail for their technical support. However, I probably won't get a reply until 3.2 or 3.3 given how slow they are. And hopefully they don't give me a canned response or e-mail back wanting more information (I sent everything in my post above, but in much more polite manner).
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
I'll share my experience with you. My fps problems started when I updated my Windows 10. I was running the game at 60 FPS stable with Vsync on a gtx 1050, but then after the update it started constantly dropping from 120 to 20, fps graphicn chart looked like a chainsaw and vsync and dynamic resolution had no impact on stability. After testing all the suggested solutions on the forums, none of them made an improve overall. Then I realized mby some of the drivers where updated with the system too. So I checked that, and apparently Windows 10 updated my SATA controller driver and Intel Rapid Storage Technology, uninstalling my previous ones. I went to the web of my MOBA's (motherboard) manufacturer which is Gygabyte, and I downloaded the drivers they provided altough they seemed outdated as my MOBA is from 2011. Surprisingly after installing these 2 and restarting game worked like a charm again. Hope this may be useful to someone.
"
GGorebachev wrote:
Still crashing randomly with multiple exceptions pointing towards GGGs internal code repository.

Those show where the error is reported, not where it originated. Saying that makes GGG responsible for the would be like saying that the TV news is responsible for a football loss -- because they reported it.

"
GGorebachev wrote:

I have been enjoying this game a lot recently but the frustration of losing maps/breaches/abysses or the inability of playing Hardcore is taking over.

That all sounds like it sucks. I'm curious, could you grab ListDLLs and post (ideally, in a separate thread) the output when you run it against your PoE process which has these issues. Please wait until you have replicated the issue (eg: FPS is low) before running the tool.
"
makarsk1 wrote:
I have a state-of-the-art PC with a combination of Core i7 8700k, Samsung 960 EVO ssd, 32gb HyperX DDR4 3000 RAM and AORUS GTX 1080ti video card with 11GB of GDDR5 memory. It's obvious that I am able to run PoE on my PC with maxed settings (I have a 165hz 1440p IPS monitor) with 150+ fps.

However! I am experiencing constant periodical drops to 20-25 fps for example when I enter Lioneye's Watch, talk to Nissa, open settings windows, skill tree and such. As soon as I close trade window or similar, fps goes back to normal (160+). Please advise what to do now, as this is very irritating to me. I played during Harbinger league on a old pc and gameplay was smooth (average fps was, of course, much lower, but no fps drops apart from usual situations like breach or similar).

I'd love it if you could grab ListDLLs, reproduce the problem, then post the results of that. (Ideally, in a new top-level thread.)

I have a very similar setup, but the worst frame rates I see are in the 100-120 region with burning ground, nothing from monster density, so I'm very curious to see if I can identify a difference between the code running in-process for us.

Last edited by SlippyCheeze on Jan 24, 2018, 4:04:14 PM
"
berniebucket wrote:
I have been having fps spikes since 3.1.

Tried reverting nvidia drivers as recommended to 378.92 with no difference.

What actually seems to resolve my issue is when I am in game already, changing power management in nvidia control panel from prefer maximum performance to something else and then back to maximum performance. The spikes will not happen anymore until I close and launch poe again.

This isn't an issue in any other game I play.

Hopefully this helps.

I don't know how the heck you managed to figure this out but thank you from the bottom of my heart.
"
shadowingo wrote:
"
Hughs wrote:

They won`t do this. They focus on rich players with high-end PC who always do a generous donation. More MTX=more money. I`m always die from sudden terrible FPS drop in Abyss or boss and it makes me so angry on that game with graphics of 2010 year.

Yeah, but the problem is that even friends of mine with very good "rich af" setups are having problems and a lot of exception errors running the game too, so they actually need to start thinking in making the game enjoyable for everyone and not make a challenge to actually be able to play the game like it should be played.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info