Don't play unless you want to lose your GPU!

"
Yukionna wrote:
Also running a 390x. Afterburner reports that my peak today was 71C. It hovers around 65ish. It's not too bad. AMD cards like to run hot and loud, just because.

PoE does give a very popular SquareEnix MMO a run for it's money in terms of heat, which is surprising.

I wouldn't worry about 55C and, as someone said, if you are paranoid install afterburner and setup target temps.

My rig is extremely quiet. This is my exact card https://pcpartpicker.com/product/C298TW/msi-video-card-r9390xgaming8g

I built it in July 2016. Never had any issues besides the dust that was blocking airflow and causing some heat. Even still it was never loud at all. It's pretty much silent.

I forget the make and model of my case but that could also contribute to it. It has several fans and vents on all sides.
Turning on VSYNC can keep your card from pushing itself needlessly as well. why push 200+ fps especially if you are running an older 60hz monitor. just making the vid card work hard for no visual benefits.

if you have the hardware to take advantage of the extra fps of course that's another story altogether but just saying VSYNC on can help in some cases.
I'm running DX11 with high settings on pretty much everything on an ultrawide 21:9 (2560x1080) and it's smooth as butter on a four year old GTX760.
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
Last edited by Garr0t on Dec 11, 2017, 4:53:36 PM
"
I just wanted to warn everyone seeing the amount of topics being raised in Technical Support.

I have just lost my GTX 970 Palit due to their "optimalisation" of the game, went to the store, picked up GTX 1060 tested it with GPU-z with LOWEST settings in game, 60% load sitting in town, while mapping it's constant 90% (ON A GODDAMN GTX 1060)

I wouldn't advise to play unless the issue is fixed

Same here roasted 2 gpus sitting on 1080 now

Tip:
1: play a lot and at gpu roast return in shop, get better one as it is same price range as back then
2: repeat step 1
3: get gtx 760, 970, 1080 free ;-)

Yes you are right there are gpu related bugs, play on dx9ex fullscreen no vsync and you will see low temperatyres and gpu load.
No Problem,
Exile
My desktop GTX 1070 is usually bored when I play PoE. But my laptop with the GTX 1060 gets hot as fuck.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I'm not a hardware guru, but from what I've observed over the years, especially with my dad personally building all of our computers and being a folding@home junkie, I think it's very difficult these days for a piece of software to actually physically destroy hardware somehow.

It was possible 15+ years ago, when Windows would scream at me about possibly damaging my monitor for trying to use a certain resolution or whatever, but hardware has a LOT of failsafes built into it now. My dad and I run the shit out of our video cards and we've never killed one no matter how much gaming or folding we did with them.

A video card dies because the video card was either defective, simply old and worn out, or not being properly taken care of. If video games could single-handedly kill video cards, there would be ... just... so many cases of it. An overwhelming, industry-destroying number of cases. It wouldn't just occasionally be one guy like the OP coming around and saying 'holy shit this killed my video card', it would be thousands and thousands of people constantly reporting every day that their cards were fucked over by any number of games, and it STILL wouldn't even really be the games themselves. The cause would be the layers of abstraction that the games depend on, such as DirectX.

PoE and the vast majority of other games don't even know or care what hardware they're dealing with. The game asks DirectX to handle that for them. Then DirectX, in turn, has to ask the video card drivers to do stuff. I don't even know what happens after that, there are most likely further layers of abstraction that I haven't delved deep enough to understand or be aware of. Point is, there are several layers of abstraction, all of which have been built with failsafes up the ass to prevent bricking.

For my part, I find PoE to actually be incredible in its stability, especially for a game that isn't developed by Blizzard or one of the other overwhelmingly huge developers. I had to fiddle around with the video settings because for some reason my computer doesn't seem to play so well with DX11, but once I set it to use DX9Ex, PoE has been rock-solid, almost scarily so. This is on a video card that I've had to wrestle with due to stability problems. Yet, I can be running around in a zone, decide I'm tired, go to sleep with PoE still running, wake up 6 hours later, and my pretty champion is still standing right where I left him, waiting to smash some heads.

In conclusion, from a gamer who has wrestled with many games and unstable systems: PoE is actually pretty fucking impressive in its stability, and with all of the layers of abstraction that exist in modern systems, I don't think GGG could use their game to kill video cards even if they tried. I would be willing to literally bet money that PoE did not kill your video card.
For everyone having GPU load issues: Try turning on vsync in your PoE options. My GPU temps while mapping went down from 79C to 63C just from enabling vsync.
I’ve been playing this new update/league constantly, gpu is sitting at no more then 45, and that’s even on ultra 4K, so I’m guessing it’s dependent on people’s cards, and I’m only running a titan x hybrid.
My 6 years laptop still survive the game
Intel b950 2.1 ghz (thats dual core)
Nvidia GT 520m 1gb shared (onboard) 80°c full load
RAM 8 Gb
Hd 500 gb

Dx11, dynamic resolution, and lowest other settings

"I have just lost my GTX 970 Palit due to their "optimalisation" of the game"

Correlation does not imply causation
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info