Don't play unless you want to lose your GPU!

My 1080 X is perfectly fine for the settings I play PoE at. The fans have yet to activate. The only time I had them trigger was when visiting poe.trade through steam, which freaked the hell out of me. Still not sure how, had trouble replicating.
Did you try turning it off and on again?
980ti extreme - everything works just fine. Fans are also not active 99% of the time. Load is around 50% max during 4 man party.
Huh weird, all my other games use 90% of my GPU too

PoE didn't burn your card, the GPU is designed to run hot and will shut down if it gets past the limits. It sounded like it was going to die anyway.
Last edited by Imaginaerum on Dec 12, 2017, 6:20:38 PM
Some people are truly amazing when it comes to logical thinking. Your GPU is supposed to work at 100%, that's how you know you get what you paid for. It's made to be able to run at 100% load and NOT overheat for YEARS, many years. If it however broke, which can happen, it's not because of a game, cmon. You have absolutely no basis whatsoever that PoE caused your 970 to break. Sure the game is very poorly *optimized, but that has nothing to do with the health of your computer.

Do you think I buy a CPU or GPU to have it work at 50% all the time? No, I want it to work 100% load and bring me maximum performance for what I paid for. If you bought a nvidia reference card cooler then it's actually on you if it overheats. Buy a proper asus/evga/msi card with solid cooling and you should never need to worry about it overheating, it's all pure BS.
"
Nephalim wrote:
My gtx 970 is constantly under 100% load and hovers around 80C which is not terrible but certainly on the hot side. PoE is incredibly graphically intensive.

"PoE is incredibly graphically UNOPTIMIZED."

*fixed
Deliver pain exquisite
"
atrofear wrote:
Some people are truly amazing when it comes to logical thinking. Your GPU is supposed to work at 100%, that's how you know you get what you paid for. It's made to be able to run at 100% load and NOT overheat for YEARS, many years.

That's not actually true. Rarely is anything meant to be used at full bore. Typical usage does not consist of 100%, 24/7/365. That is not considered normal usage by any manufacturer when it comes to variable products (vacuums are on and off as are light bulbs but cars and computers can have mixed usage where they see a lot of trickle use).

It has nothing to do with logic, it's just the nature of the beast. Expecting mixed use from a video card is not really unexpected. I don't buy a CPU to be run at 100% for its entire life span. Moreover, it's not a stretch to assume that your products will last longer if they are put thru mild or moderate use compared to the extremes. If I buy a couch I would expect to last longer if it was just me sitting on it as opposed to a bunch of kids using it as a jungle gym. Pretty basic stuff.
Deliver pain exquisite
You can't blame the game for your card being defective. Graphics cards work differently to a cpu, you cant expect what you expect from your card. More likely, you have another issue your ignoring if your last graphics card died.

Either you had it a while, Ran it too hot for too long and caused damage to it. Or it was simply a bad card, Ive had some cards last just longer than their warranty and others i went on to sell after 5 years.

The long and the short of it is, You can't blame software because your hardware wasn't up to it. The only way your going to give it an easier life, is reducing running temps under load.

Last time I had issues it was because I was just running too dam hot, Slapped on a cheap aftermarket water cooling kit for 100$ and noticed an instant 30c temp drop under load. Problem solved, I suggest you do the same if your temps get around 80c or higher. General rule of thumb is, colder = better calculations.
Last edited by Lynxdragon on Dec 12, 2017, 9:14:10 PM
Have you tested your GPU on FURMARK OP? Can you post the results after one hour of testing? It might show if there is a problem.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Yes and your CPU will overload and explode, careful guys, real danger here.
"
"
atrofear wrote:
Some people are truly amazing when it comes to logical thinking. Your GPU is supposed to work at 100%, that's how you know you get what you paid for. It's made to be able to run at 100% load and NOT overheat for YEARS, many years.

That's not actually true. Rarely is anything meant to be used at full bore. Typical usage does not consist of 100%, 24/7/365. That is not considered normal usage by any manufacturer when it comes to variable products (vacuums are on and off as are light bulbs but cars and computers can have mixed usage where they see a lot of trickle use).

It has nothing to do with logic, it's just the nature of the beast. Expecting mixed use from a video card is not really unexpected. I don't buy a CPU to be run at 100% for its entire life span. Moreover, it's not a stretch to assume that your products will last longer if they are put thru mild or moderate use compared to the extremes. If I buy a couch I would expect to last longer if it was just me sitting on it as opposed to a bunch of kids using it as a jungle gym. Pretty basic stuff.

Im pretty sure he was talking about ingame gpu usage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info