Path of Nerfs

Is it tomorrow yet?
- Vaal Pact - Like ES, VP was destined for its fate. VP trivialized nearly all aspects of gameplay (traps???) as long as you were stun immune. Hopefully they hit those insane leech builds that essentially mimic VP. Moving it down into the duelist area was interesting but shouldn't hurt many builds anyway.

- Atziri's Acuity - Still the one of the best crit gloves in the game. Double leech rate on crit without losing regen? It'll get plenty of use.

- Slayer - 3.1 VP Slayer seems like it's better than 3.0 VP Slayer. Slayer builds that didn't take VP will benefit from the VP change. Overleech still exists so Slayers will still Slay. Some may overreact and go zerker warbringer. Still, with a max potential of ~83% leech per second after the changes, I wonder why this is on the nerf list.

- MoM - Everyone who saw the changes to MoM giving a boatload of mana for very little investment saw the benefits. Given the little options casters have for damage reduction layering (wtb spell leech???), it'll still be widely used.

- Vulnerability, Despair - With the exception of Witchfire Brew not being used by melee builds in 3.1, it's a buff. Vulnerability loses the 159 INT requirement, freeing up some explicits by naturally becoming a STR gem. A chaos curse for chaos casters! Hopefully more news comes in regards to a Vulnerability flask and Despair on Hit glove enchant.

- Wither - Still broken even at 15 6% stacks. Still very few fights where wither will get to max stacks, so helps tone down some of the cheese.

- Dark Pact - Didn't require much investment to cheese all of the content. The nerfs will require investment into a few area nodes and maybe a helm enchant. Still does more damage compared to similar area skills.

- Barrage - There are many sources for additional projectiles that -1 projectile on helm does nothing to discourage use. All this change does is tone down the overkill.

- Doomfletch - Items are coming that will offset the crit loss (new crit jewel, flat phys damage jewels). Bow is still amazing and you'll need to invest in a little crit to smooth out the damage spikes.

- QOTF - Still going to be used to Vroom around end-game. RIP 4 minute labs, but it was necessary.

- ROTP - More Life and Life Regen. The Resistance loss can be made up for through the Pantheon (Arakaali + Abberath). Best of all, it's still a 1 alch tier unique and you don't have to craft a Leo shield (maybe... see buff notes tomorrow).

- Experience change - 99% of the POE population doesn't even complete all four labyrinths. Worrying about leveling beyond 95 is pointless for the majority of players. For those that do subject themselves to the grind should still feel a sense of accomplishment regardless. Who cares? Kill stuff. Loot. Move on.

- What didn't make the list:
+ Reduce Aurabot effectiveness
+ Remove Headhunter specific div cards
+ Reduce Quant explicits or remove items - After telling us IIQ on items was bad for the game in 2014, you added the most broken IIQ item this game has ever had (Bisco's). Get rid of it.
+ Reduce Sextant radius and excessive stacking through better atlas spacing
+ Increase Zana costs - Not back to exalt levels, but 2-3 chaos is absurdly low.
+ Decrease travel distances or give an activation time for Whirling Blades, Shield Charge and Leap Slam, or improve warp/dash to be more in line.
+ Bring damage skills back to Earth. Sunder, Blade Flurry, EK, KB, VPS, Barrage (-1 projectile does nothing with so many projectile sources), Spectres, Mines (Arc, Glacial Cascade, etc), Dark Pact (yes more damage reduction...).
+ Add PvP damage scaling on 3.x items (see Death's Oath, Allelopathy)
+ Cap Projectile Distance and multiscreen clearing
+ CWDT+IC effectiveness without endurance charges
+ Bloodseeker
Last edited by typecast on Dec 5, 2017, 4:08:22 PM
just want to say a few things myself, as one of the "normal-nooneknowsabout-POE-players".

Atziri's
Yeha well, never got those, maybe too much a nerf for such a rare item.

slayer
maybe i'm doing the math wrong, but with the changes to VP it's even a mighty buff for slayer. Like the far closer position of the VP-node and the now possible 58% max life leech rate while overleeching. (20base + 9% on tree x 2 via VP).

MoM
Depends on the numbers, i think a littl nerf is fair.

Vulnerability & Despair & Wither
Sounds good!

Dark Pact
The Numbers seem fair i guess. could still be strong but not OP any more

Barrage
Mh i think this "nerf" is not enough, even with a +1 Helmet you wreck things.

Doomfletch
Never played that, can't tell if it's a good&fair nerf.

QotF
I think 100% is hell of enough, dont cry people

Phoenix
I guess that's a good one. RF in the Endgame is often played with another shield so never mind, but phoenix makes RF (too)strong really early on.

XP 95+
Mhh never had a char with 95+ so i can't argue here. I guess the one half of 95+ plasers hate this the other half even wants it (like chris said). You can't make em all happy.

conclusion
in any case, it will be awesome =)

cheers

Haters gonna hate! Good job GGG!
Casual player here with only 400 hours into the game. Just thought I would share some of my thoughts. First off let me say that during the mayhem race me and my family really enjoyed ourselves and thought it would be difficult to go back to the regular game after how fun that race was. We started building up hype for the abyss league and decided if it was better than harbinger we would stick it out and try and get characters to level 100 for the first time. My two Cousins decided they would do a Righteous Fire build and I would do a Dark pact High life Regen build. We then seen the teaser for the abyss league armor and felt we should buy it to support the game. But with this single thread all the hot air and excitement for our month of December disappeared. It actually really hurts to tell the truth We have been on the receiving end of constant developer nerfs from other games that we spend thousands and thousands of dollars on (Warframe). After one to many nerfs we left that community and took are money here to path of exile. I honestly dont know if we will be staying though just in the short time since legacy league we started playing so many nerfs have come out and very few buffs. Let me explain my feelings on nerfs.

Nerfs in games are not the best way to deal with things in games in my opinion. If the developers do not have the foresight to see that certain new things will be OP then they should test them repeatedly before releasing them to the players. Using the player base as a test bed is the worst decision you could make because when you give players a great shiny new toy then take it away from them hit it with a hammer and throw it in the mud and give it back they will resent you for it. Casual players on average hate nerfs it makes them feel like you are taking things and content away from them. If GGG is upset that other skills in the game are not being used then it is GGG's job to buff them until they are competitive. I know its more work to buff several skills then it is to nerf one or two. But you come out of it in the end pleasing far more people and most importantly your casual supporter base who pays the bills. You will never be able to stop players from flocking towards easy builds its human nature we always seek to improve and make life easier. Stop punishing people for making life easy on themselves they have jobs and families like me and cant put 10000 hours into the game. Start rewarding them by making other skills just as good so there is truly player choice. What sounds best to you choosing the shiniest turd ( nerfed skills) or choosing your favorite treasure from a pile of gold ( Buffed skills).

In closing I just want to restate how hard this thread hits us in the guts. It literally killed all hype and excitement for the new league and we are discussing what game we want to focus on for December. Ark has a new DLC out in a few days we might leave this and go there for some good fun. And I understand we are just casual players but at the same time I am willing to bet money that casual players are the ones that spend the most money on path of exile. Continuing to develop the game around the top 1% of players will hurt your business GGG. Oh and I have never played a vaal pact character just so people know. I like High life High regen builds.
"
tumbling wrote:
At least make items legacy so they retain and even gain value. Already losing a lot by old maps becoming useless. If you make Acuity legacy then it will be super hard to obtain so your nerf still works.

I have played for years and years and never been able to get higher than lvl 94. Increasing XP requirements seem completely unnecessary to me since it already takes an insane amount of grinding. Why not increase max level instead?

I have 2 main characters, one is RF and another rely on Acuity as part of build. I guess ill stop playing until we get full respec at some update in the future.

Dude you get a full respec every big patch and 3.1 will be no different..

Raising the lvl cap is not only lazy but would require rebalancing the whole game otherwise its just more points people will put into their builds.. not gonna happen.

Acuity isnt made legacy for the same reason other uniques are not made legacy while some are.. It depends on the change to the unqiue weather or not it makes legacy versions.. BTW ROTP will have legacy versions so your standard RF characters will have no change to start with only league players will have to use the new ROTP shields which also come with a life roll now the legacy versions will not have. Thus why they said you can not divine the new rolls.
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
"
"
Smear wrote:
I'm done. Every god dam build that is end game viable is crushed.
That is absolutely not even close to being true. But yea go ahead, bye Felicia

The thing is, while you can be cynical to people like myself leaving PoE, we take our support $$$ (or whatever currency you may use) with us.

So to Chris, you may have to cut back on those tasty bear claws and pizza rolls you chow down on while laughing at the very people who put those tasty treats into you widening gut.

I haven't supported PoE since July of 2017. Nor will I support it this game in the future.

Like others have stated; GGG can shit on the player base by nerfing build after build. But the player base has more power than they. We can simply nerf their wallets.

Good luck sycophants.

I like it, back to Beta roots.
Slow and careful :)
So very, very glad that GGG butchered their own Black Friday sale, causing me to spend money on a Dauntless Founder's pack instead, which was a great sale by comparison.

I was very excited about Abyss until I saw these patch notes. Not only did 2 of my league starter builds get messed with, but the XP nerf is just plain asinine. I have nearly 4k hours into POE according to Steam, have never had a lvl 100, simply because mapping is usually insanely boring and I can't force myself past high 80s- low 90s. Thanks GGG, you've now given me no reason to ever try and push further, which was actually going to be my plan this league.

Good job on creating more reasons for players to go play other games than to invest further into yours this patch. You created a lot of great hype, followed by several shots to your own foot, from the Black Friday mess to these patch notes. I truly loved this game and wanted to continue loving it and treating it as my main game, but you really, really make it hard to remain a fan GGG, unless we're extremely, extremely patient or a masochist.

Guess it's also a good thing Dauntless has a patch coming out same day as Abyss starts, so I'll have something better to do with my time when I'm getting DC'd on every area transition and portal like the last two leagues and both races.

Stellar freaking job.
you need to realize that many ppl complaining here are not just doing it because they're crybabies or pessimistic shut ins, we all love arpgs with a passion and it hurts to see a game with so much potential turn a blind eye to one side of the community. if you want to make good game, stop being kind to everyone and create mechanics that sort of helps most of the community by making a middle ground. By starting a patch note saying "we are not afraid to do blah blah.." and going with a title named PATH OF NERFS doesn't look too good, i hope you have already understood that by reading all these 130+ pages of negative reactions. Try to talk to more ppl if you are planning on taking advises from players, NOT JUST REDDIT, the ES nerf in 3.0 were very acceptable becausehalf of the build in the game didn't make use of ES. And even if you cut out the power nerf, is there truly any reason behind nerfing Rise of Phoenix or MoM? if you want cut down clear speed meta why would you nerf a shield that doesn't do any good in the game except one single build, which might come to you as a surprise, many people hates the running simulator build. please justify your reasonings behind the nerfs by a big order forum post or a YT vid. most people don't play Poe to feel proud, they come here to have fun play a game like any other.

P.S i hope you don't turn a blind eye to all this negative reaction s and try to understand what;'s truly wrong happening here

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info