ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Kamchatka wrote:
Well if other issues are significantly more important to a person than immigration & amnesty, then support for amnesty depends on who they will vote for; seems like an obvious conclusion.
By the same logic, if other issues are significantly more important to you than abortion, you should decide the abortion issue based on how black Americans tend to vote?

Yes, like if a person was extremely Ayn Rand like, they may want to see democrats keep just enough power to keep abortion legal.

Or support republicans in primaries who are luke warm on opposing abortion.

The abortion Issue is strategically tricky, because many people who would be moderate democrats are voting Republican to mainly to oppose abortion.

Without abortion, many republicans would be voting Democrat. So it does not break down strategically as simply as amnesty.
Last edited by Kamchatka on Jan 24, 2018, 2:53:02 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
CanHasPants wrote:
This. It sets a bad precedence to toy with human lives and establish a sub-citizen class for political gain. Or, rather, that precedence has already been set; it’s been going on for a while. It’s legalized human trafficking, something actual decent people should be opposed to.
Promoting open-borders immigration is indeed worth at least a raise of the eyebrow due to the clear partisan incentive to promote such a policy. However, I think resisting immigration, particularly of the legal variety, deserves equal scrutiny for potential partisanship in the other direction.

Let's say we picked a different partisan issue... how about abortion? In a way you might argue that abortion is a self-defeating issue for Democrats — legalized abortion prevents/ends the lives of hundreds of thousands of likely Democrat voters yearly, with black women demographically the most likely to get abortions. Would you be okay then with Republicans dropping the issue simply because it improves their future electoral outlook?

It's a terrible way to look at issues. I'm not in favor of closed borders at all, even though that would arguably be the most partisan Republican position. I'm actually for amnesty, but as a matter of partisan reality I understand that the GOP can't afford to just give it away without getting a similar demographic concession (ex: repealing "anchor baby" birthright citizenship (which, yes, I'm against)).

Wasn’t my intention to provide partisan commentary, though I suppose I did. How about this, separate “This.” and everything that follows; they were meant to be two separate thoughts.

I agree with the assessment that partisan opposition is valid, because the opposite would be equally undesirable.

Everything that follows, I assume that exploitation of sub-citizen residents is committed by both sides, although I’m not well read on the subject. The point I was really driving at was that establishing expectations of amnesty (historically the case) endorses this sub-citizen class of residency, the exploitation thereof, and the human trafficking industry that sustains it. The only way to fix that is to break the expectation, or deny amnesty.

That is not to say we should deny opportunity to establish citizenship, but that we should not merely wave a magic wand and broadcast to the world that our laws are inconsequential.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jan 24, 2018, 4:09:56 PM
"
CanHasPants wrote:
establishing expectations of amnesty (historically the case) endorses this sub-citizen class of residency, the exploitation thereof, and the human trafficking industry that sustains it. The only way to fix that is to break the expectation, or deny amnesty.

That is not to say we should deny opportunity to establish citizenship, but that we should not merely wave a magic wand and broadcast to the world that our laws are inconsequential.
Okay then. Since repealing birthright citizenship would necessitate amending the Constitution (a partial repeal if the 14th), make it three parts: no more anchor babies, amnesty for all who've been here x years as of y date, and a prohibition on all further mass amnesties (except by constitutional amendment).
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 24, 2018, 4:42:48 PM
A brief question, after dipping my nose back in here during a slow moment.

If birthright citizenship is revoked...how does one get to be a citizen of the United States? Do you have to pay for it when you grow up? Do your parents have to buy it for you in the crib? Do you have to perform X hours of community service in a Girl Scout uniform before you're granted the privilege of citizenship? Do you also have to be a Christian before you can be a citizen? Do you have to not be a Muslim before you can be a citizen? Is the government allowed to revoke your citizenship without warning or appeal? Are businesses allowed to appeal to the government to revoke someone's citizenship? Are businesses allowed to appeal to the government to buy someone's citizenship?

How's this work, if being born in America is no longer enough to be an American?
The obvious answer is none of the above.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jan 24, 2018, 7:03:41 PM
"
1453R wrote:
How's this work, if being born in America is no longer enough to be an American?

I believe the concept is that America, unlike most other countries, is a country based on a creed. We take people from everywhere, but we expect them to want and to abide by our social mores. If anything, the recent X-American trend is tearing that down and separating us, but I won't digress on that.

The things in question are specifically the text of the Constitution and the rights outlined in the Bill of Rights. The concept that all men are created equal, that we have freedom of speech and association, and so on. Big thoughts that propelled us to where we are now.

Ideally it would not be a monetary thing. The money question only comes up in proportion to the welfare we grant, i.e. we are concerned about free-riders. (I'm all for giving less welfare and accepting more people, but most people ignore the reality of that trade-off and want to have their cake and eat it too.)

Money aside, you brought up religion. As long as the religious applicant agrees that women are not property, that murdering people for apostasy and adultery are not acceptable, that there is a separation between church and state, then there's no problem. This is already the case, and e.g. "Americanized" muslims often don't hold such traditional beliefs and immigrate just fine.

So, there is a possibility of a different kind of citizenship somewhere in here. I highly doubt we'll ever move away from the traditional forms of blood or soil citizenship, though, even if someone could prove the benefits of something new. Those models are too simple and too well-understood.
there's a separation between the church and the states in the US? Sure doesn't seem like it...
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
"
pneuma wrote:
"
1453R wrote:

I believe the concept is that America, unlike most other countries, is a country based on a creed. We take people from everywhere, but we expect them to want and to abide by our social mores. If anything, the recent X-American trend is tearing that down and separating us, but I won't digress on that.

The things in question are specifically the text of the Constitution and the rights outlined in the Bill of Rights. The concept that all men are created equal, that we have freedom of speech and association, and so on. Big thoughts that propelled us to where we are now.

Ideally it would not be a monetary thing. The money question only comes up in proportion to the welfare we grant, i.e. we are concerned about free-riders. (I'm all for giving less welfare and accepting more people, but most people ignore the reality of that trade-off and want to have their cake and eat it too.)

Money aside, you brought up religion. As long as the religious applicant agrees that women are not property, that murdering people for apostasy and adultery are not acceptable, that there is a separation between church and state, then there's no problem. This is already the case, and e.g. "Americanized" muslims often don't hold such traditional beliefs and immigrate just fine.

So, there is a possibility of a different kind of citizenship somewhere in here. I highly doubt we'll ever move away from the traditional forms of blood or soil citizenship, though, even if someone could prove the benefits of something new. Those models are too simple and too well-understood.

The Constitution. Things Americans Say They Believe That They Really Don't.
Last edited by deathflower on Jan 24, 2018, 11:19:15 PM
That's the thing tho. The Constitution currently says "People who are born here are Americans". There's been some push to amend the Constitution and get rid of this, so that Repubs can throw all the Damned Dirty Furriners(TM) out on their asses. Get rid of DACA, spend trillions of dollars we don't have on a wall we don't need, throw out birthright citizenship. All right.

What do you replace birthright citizenship with. How do you get to be an American citizen if the criteria for being an American citizen - i.e. "Be born here, or undergo the immigration process" - is eliminated?

If we eliminate immigration and we eliminate birthright citizenship...who gets to be an American, and how?
Who wants to eliminate immigration? Most people only have a problem with illegal immigration.

Presumably citizenship would be granted as a birthright to those born of citizen parents and those who undergo legal naturalization.

What we should not be doing is supporting illegal immigration (which amnesty is an endorsement of) so that people can bring their kids over to be used in a perpetual partisan wank-off. I can understand why amnesty would sound appealing (Lovejoy), but it is immoral and you are a bad person if you support it.
Devolving Wilds
Land
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jan 25, 2018, 12:23:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info