Trade Market Price Gouging

This is a ridiculous thread, economics isn't complicated only time consuming. Give it time the market will flatten out. Yes there are lots of ridiculous prices but there won't be for long unless ridiculous players keep paying them. If it makes you feel any better I sell quite literally everything for 10-20 alterations. You will actually profit faster slinging items at ridiculously low prices at a high rate, rather than asking for so much that nothing sells and your forced to vendor items or buy more stash tabs.
Economics is not complicated? Have you ever taken an economics class?

STANDARD will eventually flatten out, regardless of player base, given enough time. It may take many months or even years, but it will -- eventually a critical mass of items will come into circulation and supply will overwhelm demand.

...that's not the case in league, though.

Everyone starts fresh, and unless a critical mass of new players work out builds and get the right drops to push more high-end uniques/rares out into the community by INCREASING the supply, well, you have exactly the same problem you have now...whales on whales.

Every league the players who understand the intimate mechanics of the game will prevail. That's true of *any* game that's not play-to-win, but in a game where you have a very small player base, many of whom cannot or will not invest the time necessary to accumulate wealth by attrition, well, this is the perpetual model you end up with.

It seems like, at least anecdotally, that most of the successful folks on the console side are PC players who have migrated. I've heard this from numerous people -- "I played PC exclusively for X years, but just wanted to have a more *convenient* experience on console"

You aren't making extensive exalts in this economy trying to turn over alterations.

...maybe you're making enough chaos to do what you want to do and grab the gear you find desirable, and that's excellent. I hope you're enjoying that experience. But you aren't getting rich turning out Belly of the Beast 5l and Windrippers at 20 alterations a pop. Maybe if you're a currency flipper that's possible. But that's not where the vast majority of the player base is generating wealth.

I've been having the opposite problem of extremely low offers for really good items but I think like with everything there's a learning curve as people figure out the mechanics of the game and what the actual value of each items modifiers are for each build.

I think the worst part of the AH is actually finding something specific that's required to progress the end game content (i.e. jewels, helm enchants). You have to scan thru so many worthless items it becomes a chore just to scan thru pages and pages and pages I start to feel like I'm playing SSF and crafting what I need or hope I'm lucky and it drops.

If GGG can add xbone to the new trade board database I think that would solve a lot of players issues with gearing otherwise I wouldn't start a build that had some very specific requirements to succeed because you'll just hit a wall/reroll.
Bro as someone who only plays on xbox n just watches videos on people who play pc its so obvious why it is the way it is. There simply isnt enough serious players progressing to end game, no enough map farmers, and not enough currency to go around. Also the trade house needs some serious updating but that aside there simply isn't enough items to go around.
"

I've been having the opposite problem of extremely low offers for really good items but I think like with everything there's a learning curve as people figure out the mechanics of the game and what the actual value of each items modifiers are for each build.

I think the worst part of the AH is actually finding something specific that's required to progress the end game content (i.e. jewels, helm enchants). You have to scan thru so many worthless items it becomes a chore just to scan thru pages and pages and pages I start to feel like I'm playing SSF and crafting what I need or hope I'm lucky and it drops.

If GGG can add xbone to the new trade board database I think that would solve a lot of players issues with gearing otherwise I wouldn't start a build that had some very specific requirements to succeed because you'll just hit a wall/reroll.

It's not just because people are learning how to value things...

It's because there isn't enough high end currency distributed throughout the player base to make reasonable offers. I cannot tell you the number of offers I get on high end items (Windripper, Atz. boots, Biscos) that people seem to recognize are valuable, but they have no idea how to price them, and they don't have a way to easily move between currencies, so I'll get 12 alch orbs, 3 Vaal orbs, 5 fusings, a map, and 80 alterations...or something along those lines.

I always send back a message that says something like, "Value of X on pc is Y...I'll take X of chaos orbs or exalts."

The number of non-replies or continual offer spams with various iterations of numerous different currencies is tiresome.

SOOOO tiresome that I've just closed many of my open tabs and I move a few items at a time that I know will sell to ONE open tab to keep the offers to a minimum

The game on console may as well be SSF for just about everyone. It's impossible to trade for things like jewels and jewelry, and the items that ARE big ticket...people can't really afford most of the time.
Last edited by aiglos78 on Nov 13, 2017, 9:22:29 AM
I'm not really having any difficulty in the market. Enjoying it actually.

Yes there are some items that are overpriced, but there players also sell these same items cheaper when a price isn't listed. There is one item in particular that is needed for most builds (not giving up my cash cow). This item goes for anywhere between 25-45 Chaos on the market, yet I can buy them for 5 Chaos from some players. This is an opportunity.

I buy as many as I can at the 5 Chaos price, and I turn around and list them for 20 Chaos. Eventually this will help bring the price down in the market, because I try to have at least 5 of these items listed for this price, so the more expensive items will have difficulty selling and they will have to adjust. Until they do adjust, I will continue to have difficulty keeping more than 3 items in inventory.

I have about 4 Exalt now that I have made out of this process, probably more, but I've spent a lot of currency to complete my builds. So instead of getting frustrated, understand how the market works and find ways to take advantage of the situation while also trying to help stabilize the market.
Xbox Player
add me: "Jetras"
Lvl 72 Ice Shot Raider | Lvl 72 Sunder Berserker | Lvl 72 Summoner Necromancer
"
Xbox_Jetras wrote:
I'm not really having any difficulty in the market. Enjoying it actually.

Yes there are some items that are overpriced, but there players also sell these same items cheaper when a price isn't listed. There is one item in particular that is needed for most builds (not giving up my cash cow). This item goes for anywhere between 25-45 Chaos on the market, yet I can buy them for 5 Chaos from some players. This is an opportunity.

I buy as many as I can at the 5 Chaos price, and I turn around and list them for 20 Chaos. Eventually this will help bring the price down in the market, because I try to have at least 5 of these items listed for this price, so the more expensive items will have difficulty selling and they will have to adjust. Until they do adjust, I will continue to have difficulty keeping more than 3 items in inventory.

I have about 4 Exalt now that I have made out of this process, probably more, but I've spent a lot of currency to complete my builds. So instead of getting frustrated, understand how the market works and find ways to take advantage of the situation while also trying to help stabilize the market.

It's not opportunity it is a hand full of players trying to help out the players that don't have the time or understanding how to make currency. We are trying to help retain players on the Xbox buy helping them get items that are harder to come by without playing mid tear maps, but I guess that has to come to a stop cause of people like you can't see past there own pocket, It's just a video game, you've completed your build so why not try and help the low population of this game move forward. Nope, you rather line your pocket by flipping items that others are purposely selling at cheap prices to try and help others.

You just like shiting on others just so you can think you are good at making a profit...... just LOL You and players like you are why this game PC and Xbox never retain its player base.
"
We are trying to help retain players on the Xbox buy helping them get items that are harder to come by without playing mid tear maps, but I guess that has to come to a stop cause of people like you can't see past there own pocket, It's just a video game, you've completed your build so why not try and help the low population of this game move forward. Nope, you rather line your pocket by flipping items that others are purposely selling at cheap prices to try and help others.

You just like shiting on others just so you can think you are good at making a profit...... just LOL You and players like you are why this game PC and Xbox never retain its player base.

1. They are not "purposely selling at a cheap price" if they were, they would have a buyout price LISTED. I send out numerous offers to find items cheap from items that have no buyout price listed. Then I LIST my items below the lowest BUTOUT Price that IS listed on the Market. If you don't understand that what I'm doing is attempting to put down prices, then I can't help you and you might want to brush up on some economics.

2. I'm not "shitting" on anyone OR taking advantage of anyone. I have PAID for numerous stash tabs and list almost every item I find of any value and sell 99% of them for WHATEVER price is offered to me. I've sold good items for scrolls. If people actually message me and state any actual need, I'm the first one to help. I make fair offers on items that I need, sometimes paying more when I know the player could get more than what they are asking.

3. This is a new economy, you have little chance to effectively do what you are stating that you are trying to do without giving it time to adjust. Honestly, I think people are whining too much because they are used to prices in one market and think that those prices are relevant to a completely different market. I found a way to adapt and get the items that I need, and I have other builds to complete. There is nothing that is preventing anyone with any sense of economics from accomplishing their builds outside of patience.

4. I am an xbox player, I am not a PC player. This is my first interaction with POE, I am basically the kind of people that "you" are trying to get to stick around and play. I played Diablo 3 mostly and I enjoy the aspect of trade, because it adds another dimension to the game. Put your assumptions aside and stop judging me based on your own issues and fears instead of actually understanding the situation. Having Trade in a game is going to bring people far worse than my simple ambition, and it would behoove you to know the difference between those that are trying to help and those that are taking advantage of people. When you look around the market and my prices are the lowest ones listed, you should understand what's really going on.
Xbox Player
add me: "Jetras"
Lvl 72 Ice Shot Raider | Lvl 72 Sunder Berserker | Lvl 72 Summoner Necromancer
"
Xbox_Jetras wrote:
"
We are trying to help retain players on the Xbox buy helping them get items that are harder to come by without playing mid tear maps, but I guess that has to come to a stop cause of people like you can't see past there own pocket, It's just a video game, you've completed your build so why not try and help the low population of this game move forward. Nope, you rather line your pocket by flipping items that others are purposely selling at cheap prices to try and help others.

1. They are not "purposely selling at a cheap price" if they were, they would have a buyout price LISTED. I send out numerous offers to find items cheap from items that have no buyout price listed. Then I LIST my items below the lowest BUTOUT Price that IS listed on the Market. If you don't understand that what I'm doing is attempting to put down prices, then I can't help you and you might want to brush up on some economics.

2. I'm not "shitting" on anyone OR taking advantage of anyone. I have PAID for numerous stash tabs and list almost every item I find of any value and sell 99% of them for WHATEVER price is offered to me. I've sold good items for scrolls. If people actually message me and state any actual need, I'm the first one to help. I make fair offers on items that I need, sometimes paying more when I know the player could get more than what they are asking.

3. This is a new economy, you have little chance to effectively do what you are stating that you are trying to do without giving it time to adjust. Honestly, I think people are whining too much because they are used to prices in one market and think that those prices are relevant to a completely different market. I found a way to adapt and get the items that I need, and I have other builds to complete. There is nothing that is preventing anyone with any sense of economics from accomplishing their builds outside of patience.

4. I am an xbox player, I am not a PC player. This is my first interaction with POE, I am basically the kind of people that "you" are trying to get to stick around and play. I played Diablo 3 mostly and I enjoy the aspect of trade, because it adds another dimension to the game. Put your assumptions aside and stop judging me based on your own issues and fears instead of actually understanding the situation. Having Trade in a game is going to bring people far worse than my simple ambition, and it would behoove you to know the difference between those that are trying to help and those that are taking advantage of people. When you look around the market and my prices are the lowest ones listed, you should understand what's really going on.

I would be curious if you've bought some things from me. I've sold some pretty decent stuff for a mere 5c or less. Frankly, I would love to make some decent money off some of these items but really, I'm more in the interest of making more space that I have no problem selling most uniques for the 5c price. I really just started going into the TB and looking at the buyouts of others to price mine a little below their value. I really just want to develop a little buying power than turning around and buying items or currency.

I think this is a delicate situation. It is a new economy and people do get discouraged with how it operates. People probably see you as being greedy because you are spending a lot of your time playing the market. There are multiple roles that play here. I would love to get into the market more but I don't have the knowledge yet nor the time to really get in deep with it. So I play the role as hunter (Which is normally probably a little lucrative), which is simply running maps to develop currency. At the end of the day, I have a lot of growing up to do yet which would allow me to earn more from maps. Simply by picking up more rares and knowing what items will sell high for.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info