Trade Market Price Gouging

Do you understand that if everyone are billionare in the world, then electicity would dissapear and there would no longer be food to buy because no one has to work ?
Step to is that water becomes more value than 100 billions, and now ppl will start to work again.

Now back to the game, you seems to not understand logic stuff.

You can not see 100% as kaoms costumers, anly the % that can put it on... alöl

Only the small playerbase can trade with each other, since only they can wear the stuff.
As people keep playing they eventually get their items, so all stuff you find after that point is not gonna sell because there is no longer buyers.
Oh, I understand logic and reason fairly well. I also took one of them there classes or three in stats and read a big ole book on economics once many years back in the days of my halcyon youth.

I say this with absolutely ZERO intended disrespect, but it seems that English is not your native language, so perhaps there is a language barrier here, but I have NO IDEA what you're saying in this post.

...100% of the player base are NOT, actually, customers for a given set of items. There is only a subset of the player base, since LITERALLY ONLY 10% of the playerbase has even completed the STORY LINE, that will *ever* have access to the currency necessary to obtain certain very rare items, which are being farmed exclusively by another very small subset of the player base.

You seem to think the only restriction on availability is time.

That's not the case...a significant portion of the player base can't even pursue certain items because of drop restrictions by ilvl and player level. The VAST majority of the playerbase does not even map regularly. Therefore, the pool of consumers who DO map, who DO generate currency significant enough to purchase those items (like Kaoms) will do so. You seem to think there is some kind of linear correlation between time and drops. There is - as you play the game longer, you will see more items drop, and you will have more chances to drop items - but that doesn't imply that ALL players have EQUAL opportunity to drop all items due to many factors - level, build efficiency, mf, time, etc.

Clearly, there is a correlation between currency generated and the price of items, especially very rare uniques and exceptional rares, which will simply remain unattainable due to cost/time for a significant portion of players. There is also a correlation between the # of active players and the # of items available. As the pool of players who are able to play/farm certain content increases, more items available from that content will increase. Of course, there may also be a large consumer base who WANTS those items. And perhaps this is what you're pointing to when you mention proportion. But all we can ever hope to know, realistically, are the *average* drop rate percentages, because there are people on the highest end of that distribution who are skewing the average by being a very small subset of a large playerbase who are the ONLY ones capable of placing those items on the market.

...all cohorts aren't necessarily EQUAL simply by nature of playing the game and investing time. Two players could play 3000 hours each, and dependent on numerous factors (like those mentioned above), they might have very a different level and type of asset production.

For instance, it may literally be that the console community is mechanically worse at the game, dies more often, incurs a greater time-to-asset penalty and cannot provide certain items to the consumer base as efficiently as the pc community.

The smaller the farming cohort is, though, the fewer items will available to the consumer base -- period.

Drops have artificial restrictions imposed -- mainly ilvl, but certain *other* uniques also require RNG in the context, for example, of Doomfletch Prism (which requires a prophecy). So, it's not as simple as saying, "Over time, ALL players will have ALL items available to them in a quantity which will facilitate purchase of those items."

That's just not how it works...
Last edited by aiglos78 on Oct 27, 2017, 2:46:44 PM
Also...just to point out the obvious: The notion that everyone being a 'billionaire' somehow correlates to people choosing to not work in order to generate electricity and food is...incredibly silly?

We use currency as a commodity exchange. We exchange money literally for services and/or commodities -- really for services which RENDER commodities. The world isn't going to stop, you know, generating power and food because we all get rich. We may find ways to automate those processes so we don't have to perform the manual labor necessary to achieve the outcome we desire, but, well, I have to be honest...I have no idea what your actual point is here. We would still being paying for those commodities, though we might alter the means of production and create new intermediaries by which we procure those commodities.

Not every player will magically become a "billionaire" in the context of PoE. Not even given infinite time. Some people just won't play the game efficiently enough to accumulate enough wealth to participate in the purchase of certain items and will never see certain drops.
Last edited by aiglos78 on Oct 27, 2017, 2:48:59 PM
well i have 750 plus hours on xbox and i havent run into a issuse of getting those super rare items just put in the time and thats it xbox tag is drewdog1992 hit me up if your looking for a certain item
Here's what I don't get:

Folks, the PC market is huge. The game has been out 2 months. Of course things are going to be insanely overpriced. That's 100% normal on games. The supply does not meet the demand.

I have a 6L Starforge I paid 24 Exalteds for, a 6L Bronn's, The Retch (18 Exalteds). My character is basically a copy of PapaModz (DatModz's Cyclone Slayer).

I found the prices insane, but manageable. I play an abnormal amount so it doesn't bother me as much, but coming on here asking for prices to just drop in a market that isn't over-saturated is not going to work.

At any given time, including OFFLINE and ONLINE players, I have only seen 3 The Retch belts on the AH at any given time, since the game was released.

That my friends is not going to change unless the population goes up.

The market is just completely different on Xbox. I have earned over 150 Exalts this League playing on Xbox (and it was my first season). The prices are just right. We have a fraction of the population so we have a fraction of the items. I actually prefer the Xbox market because items stay valuable for a long time and there are very few of the REALLY rare uniques.

I didn't shape my Atlas or any of that this season. I just grinded maps and had ABSOLUTELY no trouble sustaining currency. Even when I started running guardians and Vault which costs 10 and 6 on Xbox respectively.

When I wanted a Kaoms I started to grind Abyss and Volcano. I found 3 cards on my own and bought the rest. The game is fine on Xbox and the market is where is should be. The prices will NEVER be the same as PC and they shouldn't be.

If you can't earn currency by mapping you are probably doing something wrong.

All that being said an instant buy system would greatly improve the trading system. We need some way to make crafting worth it and to have a way for sellers to sell while offline because we simply do not have the population to support trading in the mid-late leagues.
"
IataI wrote:
The market is just completely different on Xbox. I have earned over 150 Exalts this League playing on Xbox (and it was my first season). The prices are just right. We have a fraction of the population so we have a fraction of the items. I actually prefer the Xbox market because items stay valuable for a long time and there are very few of the REALLY rare uniques.

I didn't shape my Atlas or any of that this season. I just grinded maps and had ABSOLUTELY no trouble sustaining currency. Even when I started running guardians and Vault which costs 10 and 6 on Xbox respectively.

When I wanted a Kaoms I started to grind Abyss and Volcano. I found 3 cards on my own and bought the rest. The game is fine on Xbox and the market is where is should be. The prices will NEVER be the same as PC and they shouldn't be.

All that being said an instant buy system would greatly improve the trading system. We need some way to make crafting worth it and to have a way for sellers to sell while offline because we simply do not have the population to support trading in the mid-late leagues.

Which is horrible for long-term engagement. You have whales trading with whales.

I've managed to hoard about 40 exalts worth of currency total -- including SIX! dropped exalts.

...that hasn't been nearly enough to trick out my build fully. It's functional. I have excellent rings, jewelry, and a nice rare helm.

My uniques (bow, armor, boots) are all super 'meh'.

...even if I wanted to, I can't move forward, though -- I would spend half my wealth to Voricilink my Windripper and there is not a SINGLE 6 link available on the trade boards. I've seen TWO during the entire league.

So...

You have a market by whales, for whales, comprised mainly OF...whales.

Something has to change to keep the console playerbase engaged -- drop rates, a new trade API...SOMETHING.
"
aiglos78 wrote:
"
IataI wrote:

Which is horrible for long-term engagement. You have whales trading with whales.

I've managed to hoard about 40 exalts worth of currency total -- including SIX! dropped exalts.

...that hasn't been nearly enough to trick out my build fully. It's functional. I have excellent rings, jewelry, and a nice rare helm.

...even if I wanted to, I can't move forward, though -- I would spend half my wealth to Voricilink my Windripper and there is not a SINGLE 6 link available on the trade boards. I've seen TWO during the entire league.

So...

Something has to change to keep the console playerbase engaged -- drop rates, a new trade API...SOMETHING.

You said it. I MIGHT have 10EX to my name if I was able to liquidate all my stuff. In this economy we can't even agree probably what an EX is worth though, so who knows. This is with 2 lvl 87 and a mid 70's toon and being very cheap in purchasing.

It almost feels like in order to be wealthy you have to already be wealthy enough to purchase the gear to get the gear everyone else wants or maybe just lucky.

I have ~150 hours in I think, and I'm dirt poor compared to prices I see of things I'd like. I mean I know part of it is I don't understand lots of things the rich probably do, or maybe I don't understand what grinding even is in a game like this, but it's discouraging when you know true end game for you is probably T12-14 maps unless I get super lucky with drops.
"
aiglos78 wrote:
"
IataI wrote:

So...

Honestly just sounds like you are playing inefficiently and blaming the trading system. There are plenty of builds that can farm endgame for cheap. I would suggest reading up on different cheap builds instead of complaining about a market that is more expensive than the PC market. I was farming Shaper before I had 10e to my name.
Last edited by IataI on Nov 6, 2017, 10:14:46 PM
Git gud, huh? I'm a decade long D2 theory crafter. I sunk about 3k hours into Torchlight and Torchlight 2. I have about 1k legit paragon levels on D3. None of which proves that I'm smart, nor even a very *good* player or trader, but I have been around the block, and I do know a thing or two about the virtual economies of games like this.

PoE, for all its depth, is absolutely nothing I haven't seen many times before. I'm fully aware there are plenty of cheap farming builds. The game isn't just about putting Shaper on farm. For most players, what keeps them going in an ARPG? The dynamics and synergy between gear and skills. You think people have been doing hundreds of Baal runs every day for years in D2 because they haven't seen enough of the content? No. And how did they get access to all that content, and, thus, to the best and most dynamic gear which allowed them to play more builds? HINT: I know two people - TWO - in the entire history of that game who managed to complete a SSF grail. They both quit the game after they did so. Yet, hundreds of thousands of people still get up and grind it out every single day.

...what keeps those people going, though? THE PROMISE OF GEAR. THE POTENTIAL TO ACQUIRE COOL STUFF AND USE IT. THE. LOOT. HUNT.

...note: GEAR and skills.

So, yeah, I could go play a cheap-as-hell RF build or some berserker totems starter and do everything in the league. But putting content on farm by using cheap and effective builds doesn't solve an economy with high demand and low supply. The difficulty jumps required to sustain moves between map tiers are...intense...for most new players. This is evidenced by the number of folks who complain about this (...and Kitava). This game doesn't punish you...until it does. That's clearly having an impact on the willingness of folks to drive forward into the depths of the end game. And that difficulty is compounded by the inability to garner items and exacerbated by the difficulty involved in trading for them.

Like I said, it's whales trading with whales.

I would be willing to bet there aren't more than 100k unique users on at any given time on console. I would be surprised if the entire player base on console was 25k, actually. According to my last achievement check, less than 10% of that cohort had completed the base game...let alone started mapping at high levels.

That's just unsustainable outside of the circle jerk that is the top of the economy. Players lose interest when they can't get items they need to see the content. That's not the entire focus of the game, but people want to know their build can see what the game has to offer. The console crowd is very different from the PC crowd in this respect. No console gamer is going to give this game a year of their life to see if they can down Shaper by attrition. That's just not the way the console space functions.

Last edited by aiglos78 on Nov 7, 2017, 8:26:47 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info