Instant logout is ruining every part of this game

"
Perq wrote:
"
suszterpatt wrote:

Well, call me naive, but I still think we can make GGG see reason. If anything, the fact that we have years of history behind us should give us additional perspective and evidence that some things just aren't working the way they expected.

In fact, wouldn't it be kind of arrogant of anyone to think that every design choice they made years ago will have stood the test of time forever?

They opposed other ideas with same attitude before - lockstep ruining the hardcore mechanics because too laggy, item allocation because hardcore cutthroat (but dare to write their name on forums and you're banned - cutthroat much). And still they have changed that.

/snarky_on
Just give them another few years, I'm sure they will do it just right after the trade improvements. kek'bur
/snarky_off

And yes, this only Steam-charts argument is pretty dumb. :P This is enough to say that trends will be similar. I can't quite imagine a reason they shouldn't be.

Heck, they even backtracked on their stance on in-game trading, if ever so slightly, with the addition of premium tabs.

Although now that I think about it, maybe that too was only because Xbone needed in-game trading. :|
Last edited by suszterpatt on Oct 13, 2017, 1:40:15 PM
A bump to the thread since I think it is still relevant. :V

I'd honestly love to hear someone from the opposite side of argument. I honestly can't quite find reasons against the idea, but at the same time I'm pretty sure there are some.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Oct 17, 2017, 1:38:29 AM
The only thing I use instant logout for is exiting the game when I get a latency spike over 1000+ for more then a few seconds when in maps, and don't feel I have time to use a portal. When this happens in combat, I never know if I'm dead or not when I log back in... maybe a little more then half the time I'm alive if I hit alt-f4 while at full life.

Sure, this happens rarely, maybe once every week or so? However, it takes me a long time to get a character over 90 in HC, several weeks at least - I would assume that if an additional timer was added to force my character to just sit there after I exit that there would probably be a close to zero chance of surviving those situations.

HC Leagues are already screwed by every other design decision GGG has made over the years - this would probably be the nail in the coffin for the rest of us, though I'm starting to not care anymore... it's almost a lost cause at this point.

I have ran thousands of maps with friends over the years, and I can count on one hand how many times someone exited the game to avoid death - seriously. (and only some of the time lived) What a terrible problem that so desperately needs to be fixed by killing many more HC characters through no fault of their own. Yea. I don't get it I guess.
"
Zee wrote:
The only thing I use instant logout for is exiting the game when I get a latency spike over 1000+ for more then a few seconds when in maps, and don't feel I have time to use a portal. When this happens in combat, I never know if I'm dead or not when I log back in... maybe a little more then half the time I'm alive if I hit alt-f4 while at full life.

Sure, this happens rarely, maybe once every week or so? However, it takes me a long time to get a character over 90 in HC, several weeks at least - I would assume that if an additional timer was added to force my character to just sit there after I exit that there would probably be a close to zero chance of surviving those situations.

HC Leagues are already screwed by every other design decision GGG has made over the years - this would probably be the nail in the coffin for the rest of us, though I'm starting to not care anymore... it's almost a lost cause at this point.

I have ran thousands of maps with friends over the years, and I can count on one hand how many times someone exited the game to avoid death - seriously. (and only some of the time lived) What a terrible problem that so desperately needs to be fixed by killing many more HC characters through no fault of their own. Yea. I don't get it I guess.

I totally agree that given the game's current state, just adding a logout delay and changing nothing else would be catastrophic for HC.

But the motivation for removing instant logouts would be to allow monster damage to become less spiky. And if we can do that, then the frequency of HC deaths due to crash/DC would actually decrease .
"
suszterpatt wrote:
Heck, they even backtracked on their stance on in-game trading, if ever so slightly, with the addition of premium tabs.

Although now that I think about it, maybe that too was only because Xbone needed in-game trading. :|
Or maybe they just needed to add more incentive for people to buy prem tabs (in case you forgot, prem tabs were in game long before trade changes).
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Last edited by silumit on Oct 17, 2017, 10:38:40 PM
So yeah, if anyone has any good reasons why instant logouts shouldn't be removed (and the game rebalanced accordingly), I'm still listening...
Last edited by suszterpatt on Nov 7, 2017, 12:56:57 PM
Look, it's delusional to consider the game intentionally and consciously balanced around instant logout.

When you are incapable, or incompetent, or just want to leave yourself a door open - then you are looking for excuses. Excuses which sound reasonable, which justify your actions, or misplays, or failures.
I have a friend like that - he's always in the shitter and everything around him is gloriously fucked up, but he always got a reasonable excuse on hand. And it's never his fault.
Chris is almost as good as him in washing hands clean.

Spike damage in this game isn't because of balancing around altf4, it's just because of inability to set the balance right. That simple.
PoE was always like that, from the very beginning. And it was balanced by the same team of experts (or a single super expert at the very beginning, which further multiplied himself and spread his expert divine knowledge to his expert clones and servants).

Even if there's delayed logout, the abysmal spike damage is gonna stay. Wanna bet?
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Nov 7, 2017, 4:07:08 PM
"
Chris wrote:
We want our fights to have large swings of damage and to cause a rush of adrenaline in the player.

Wow, just look at all these adrenaline filled reactions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzGGK0gFCI&t=45s

Tarke's adrenaline is rushing so hard that he zones out and forgets what kind of build he's playing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Ed2P-TKmo
"
Perq wrote:
A bump to the thread since I think it is still relevant. :V

I'd honestly love to hear someone from the opposite side of argument. I honestly can't quite find reasons against the idea, but at the same time I'm pretty sure there are some.

Well, i'm all for a logout timeout, but hey, how many bosses and whatever WTFJUSTKILLEDMEHOWDIDIFKNDIEOMG stuff is out there now? I'm afraid it would take months, if not more, to re-balance the entire game.
GGG could just make it so that logging off means you cannot reenter the instance you left. No need for a timer.

Lets include dying in that too.

Of course then the people do don't instant logoff as a combat trick would have another set of complaints.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info