Instant logout is ruining every part of this game

anything 'instant' is dangerous when it comes to balance, growth etc

because how can you improve on '100% immortal'?

instant logouts are desync leftovers. sadly - GGG thinks they need to rush content with a breakneck speed so they almost never do the clean up. i doubt we will see PROPER act 9 and 10s, fixes to audio etc soon - they are lower priority than pushing yet another cash-grab league 'on the clock'
that the league is a half-done placeholder - doesnt matter, it sells packs BEFORE you actually experience it :)

so instant logouts are with us just because it costs money to remove it (and also some 'hardcore-wannabes' will flip the table once their auto (yes AUTO) chicken scripts no longer grant them that feeling of superiority). all the explanations given are just PR damage control - just like many other 'statements' from any company.

and yes, instant leech and instant logouts are two remaining obstacles that keep POE from becoming something others will inspire themselves. right now it is the same old: get more damage to be more safe, defences mean nothing etc BS all other games have

you can turn pretty much any turd build into 'viable' one just with VP because this instant recovery makes one simply immortal. and if you are not there yet with damage - just logout and be proud of your 'skill'

it is lame
Dying to a 1-shot does not induce adrenaline for me. Anyone else?

I think the most exciting parts of the game are getting hit HARD, but still given enough time to react and recover.

Making 1 misstep and dying is not fun, at all.

I also agree, people grinding to 100 never ran stuff T14+ because it was too dangerous. They would do stuff like shaped strand with full sextants to load up on that pack size.

I'm very interested to see what direction the game is going to go after harbinger is finished next season. With beachhead gone, and pack size nerfed, I can only imagine what a miserable grind it will be to get to 100 next league. Good thing I have no plan on doing it lol.
"
sidtherat wrote:

instant logouts are desync leftovers. sadly - GGG thinks they need to rush content with a breakneck speed so they almost never do the clean up. i doubt we will see PROPER act 9 and 10s, fixes to audio etc soon - they are lower priority than pushing yet another cash-grab league 'on the clock'
that the league is a half-done placeholder - doesnt matter, it sells packs BEFORE you actually experience it :)

so instant logouts are with us just because it costs money to remove it (and also some 'hardcore-wannabes' will flip the table once their auto (yes AUTO) chicken scripts no longer grant them that feeling of superiority). all the explanations given are just PR damage control - just like many other 'statements' from any company.

and yes, instant leech and instant logouts are two remaining obstacles that keep POE from becoming something others will inspire themselves. right now it is the same old: get more damage to be more safe, defences mean nothing etc BS all other games have

you can turn pretty much any turd build into 'viable' one just with VP because this instant recovery makes one simply immortal. and if you are not there yet with damage - just logout and be proud of your 'skill'

it is lame

+1000

Well put. Well put indeed.
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
"
suszterpatt wrote:
I could write a whole essay on the subject, but I'll keep it to just bullet points.

- First off, no it's not a skill. When you can just press a button and be instantly safe from any harm, that is the least possible amount of "skill" you can have in a game. There are already several options for escaping danger: you can portal out, use a movement skill, etc. All of them take more skill than a logout macro, only none are as efficient. So the existence of instant logout actually removes skill from the game, not adds to it.

- Instant logouts are half the reason why every new bossfight is a lame cavalcade of oneshots and AoE spam (with ludicrous player damage combined with Vaal Pact being the other half). If players can get to safety instantly, then you have literally no option but to kill them instantly. So that's what all bossfights become: dodge the telegraphed oneshot, ignore everything else. No variety.

- The oneshot meta in turn creates Path of Life Nodes. Hands up, who genuinely enjoys the fact that you have to spend 75% of your skill points on pathing to life nodes?

- The oneshot meta is also the only thing that makes Evasion/Block/Dodge second-class citizens compared to Life/ES/Armour. There's no reason why we couldn't have a game balanced around sustain, where the challenge is not surviving one big hit, but having the right mix of defenses and recovery to survive consecutive smaller hits; except for the fact that instant logout trivializes such gameplay.

- The only reason for not allowing players to re-enter the Lab is because any such mechanic could be abused by instant logouts. It makes uber lab farming less appealing, because you gamble every offering on the assumption that you won't get a crash or disconnection. ISP acting up? Fuck you, offering lost. Game crashed because of GGG's bugs? Fuck you, offering lost.

Add a 5 second delay to logouts, and the barrier to fixing all of these problems is suddenly lifted. And if anyone can think of just one good reason against, I'd be genuinely curious to hear it.
/ggg mode on
You raise valid points, therefore in next update we will introduce 30 seconds logout timer. Oh and btw damage and sustain is fine so we won't change anything in that department.
/ggg mode off
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
and what is wrong about that?

damage and sustain is ok. VP is not ok. good players will manage. sure, clearspeed will go down by a lot and some will 'feel like sh..' but oh well.

right now some think that the only viable builds are 20 sec facetank shaper ones. most of these are possible only because VP / instany logout makes it possible to spend entire 0 points on defenses

once players have to make choices and glass cannons are actuall glass (with VP there are no glass cannons..) the game will feature true diversity.

right now you pick meta bonkers or forfun build. 50%+ players pick VP! is that 'ok'?
"
ironstove wrote:
Dying to a 1-shot does not induce adrenaline for me. Anyone else?

I don't think so, in those hc death compilation videos the most common facial expression of the player is utter boredom followed by a flash of stupefied amazement and then either rage or resignation.

Mentioned a few times I enjoy playing borderlands in self-imposed HC. That game really does a good job in signalling you've bitten more than you can chew even before it sends you into knockdown, and when it does even your asshole starts sweating while trying to find something to kill and get a second wind. I never felt that while playing HC in PoE, it's just over too soon one way or the other and you don't see it coming.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Oct 9, 2017, 5:29:27 AM
To be fair, there are some fights that have this tense feel to them. They are, mostly, ruined by the stupidity of one-shots/clusterfuck of effects, but other than that they do the job. I'd say Atziri herself, Izaro, Shaper (aside from Vortex-induced DPS-race which makes glass cannons builds even more necessary) and maybe Malachai are such fights (altho the normal one nowadays can be a bit easy with twink gear, but he is still quite difficult).

That said, they would be far better without instant logouts and damage spikes. Heck, with no damage spikes even the obscene amount of hp isn't that annoying.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
sidtherat wrote:

it is lame

+1 This.

However, after seeing those comments from the actual devs of the game saying that instant logout is a legit mechanic and they build the fights with that in mind... kinda makes me want to not play this game anymore. Any attempt of a justification for the use of such a cheat is just straight up comical. Any attempt of a justification for not removing the ability for one to use such a cheat from the game is just lazy. If fight difficulty is being decided with instant logout in mind... Well that's just plain stupid.
I find your feedback a little confusing. You seem to be suggesting that instant logout is a problem with the game but in reality it seems like your issue is more with the instant kill mechanics of the game and the one try mechanic imposed on lab runs.

You seem to suggest that having a logout timer means that instant kill mechanics and one try lab limits can be removed. You also suggest that there are other methods [portal out] available to players to help them survive. I think your idea that removing the limited lab tries could be removed if a logout delay was added is a very poor assumption in that you would then have the ability to portal out whenever you want which is just as bad. The current implementation limits the instant logout ability in labs as well as portal out mechanics. While I am also not a fan of the one try mechanic of the lab, it does seem to be the only method to make lab runs meet the challenge level that GGG is interested in.

Another issue with the implementation of a logout timer is what happens then to uses who crash? Technically, a crash would need to be handled like a logout request because if not then people could just purposely crash the client to achieve a logout instantly. Implementing a delay to people who crash seems really unfair to the game as a whole. I would rather keep the instant logout and not have to worry about crashing and dying because of that uncontrollable crash.

I think you might be more successful with your recommendations if you focus on what you feel the real issue is and try to offer some suggestions to help GGG remove the one shot mechanics and limited lab tries as this seems to be your goal. Blaming instant logout and assuming that implementation of a logout delay is going to result in the removal of one shot mechanics and removal of one try limits on the lab is unlikely unless the feedback is focused on these issues - if this is truly what your goal is.
Removing instant logout means you will die everytime you have a disconnection or client crash.

Which would be the final nail in the HC coffin.

I know nobody gives a shit about HC players nowadays, but hopefully there are still one or two guys in GGG offices thinking about it.
Please. No more labyrinth.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info