[3.1] BUDGET! Frostbreath + Ice Crash - 1 Million Shaper DPS

Wideswing for Ice Crash. That's what I did. :)
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
i'm kind of late, i was trying to work around a build with ice crash in mind, sadly it didn't work as i expected and was force to use wild strike/frost blade most of the time mostly because i wanted to use a debeon's dirge and didn't knew how the modifiers and damage was applied before i was around 8x ( and this is my first league/ first time playing poe) but there's something that isn't right about your post, actually a zerker can do more dmg and have vaal pact with the same gear, here's the pastebin with same gear, same level
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/EqjV7sJd
, still with zerker there's the plus of facetanking but he's way more risky to play since those 40% extra dmg are not for free + vaal pact keep you always on the verge of dying if there's some poison or bleeding around.. still pretty nice build and will try something similar with a gladiator, since even if the damage is lower, the survavility is higher and the bloisons should allow me to clear maps faster, but boss fight will not be smooth as with an inquisitor.
Last edited by Bashgul on Oct 7, 2017, 9:22:48 PM
"
Dongaldo wrote:
"
l3sfin3st wrote:
This build is awesome. I'm currently leveling it and enjoying every moment. But question, what is the new chaos firestorm build you are playing? I've always wanted to play something similar. Do you have a guide for it?

You sneaky devil. No guide for it. Just an idea to make Volkuur's Guidance actually poison and do damage. Chose to do Wither, Cast While Channeling Firestorm. In theorycrafting I found that fire damage and it's associated ailment (burning) actually scale the poison from Valkuur's Guidance as if it's also burning damage. So anything that increases elemental damage, fire damage or burning damage also scales the poison, including Elemental Overload.

Here is the pastebin for it level 81 right now. https://pastebin.com/5U6PfL6s

Here is a brief Video on a T10 boss. https://youtu.be/lYBzDzTceJw

I built a cwc firestorm poison block necro as my first char this league with the volkuurs, besides from poison and burning scaling later on there is just no good way to really pump out significant damage, I played around with guardians and shaper when my damage per poison was around 60k and it wasn't great tbh, I switched to firestorm without poison and never looked back.
Last edited by dupie on Oct 7, 2017, 10:59:52 PM
"
Xavathos wrote:

Using the same frostbreath/gear/tree later for glacial right? (except the frenzy+the gems you mentioned)

Area of effect+area damage works with glacial also right?
Last edited by drbokorkati on Oct 8, 2017, 10:49:38 AM
"
Dongaldo wrote:
"

another thought, kaoms root would be quite good with this build,it wasnt socket starved anyway, tho you have to find that much resist. btw, your glove is not 10c now, not for a long while. but its actually ok, i find the difference with add cold on glove to be within 4%, not too much when you level up both hoi and add cold.

I keep of roots in my inventory. Swap into them for temp chains maps. Would love to work out a way to keep them on at all times.

the user MortalKombat3 reminded me that kaom's roots interfers with blind on pandemonius amulet. it's not a good combination.
lvl 90. a lot of tweaking. still a work in progress but i'm getting closer.
all guardians go down rather smoothly. the hardest one is phoenix. for some reason there is some insane damage going on there without any damage mods (where is the balance here?) but it's alright with purity of fire aura + 2 fire flasks.

tried shaper once but i need to learn the mechanics better of that fight. i make stupid mistakes.
seems to be a dps race until the screen is filled with vortex ground. either that or one vortex is put in the middle inadvertendly exacly where zana will shield me from the bullet hell and then it's all over. so rng + dps race i guess.

my normal mapping setup. for minotaur i use 2 lightning flasks, for hydra 2 cold flasks and for phoenix 2 fire flasks instead of sulphur+atziri.
"
drbokorkati wrote:
"
Xavathos wrote:

Using the same frostbreath/gear/tree later for glacial right? (except the frenzy+the gems you mentioned)

Area of effect+area damage works with glacial also right?

Wideswing is just for leveling but can take you straight to 50 where you can use Frostbreath. AoE works for glacial's splash damage if you have the Winter Burial jewel. You can't use glacial with Wideswing as it's an axe. ;)

@Dongaldo

How do you deal with reflect? I'm using Yugul and have the 10% reduced reflect damage taken on the tree, so I'm at -35% reflect damage taken, I also use Purity of Ice so I'm at 77 (atm it's not lvl 20 yet) cold res and I'm still one shotting myself on reflect.

My damage, being only lvl 70 right now, is nowhere near what it will be later on and I'm already at 4k life which will at best become 6k at 90+.

This has me slightly worried as you'd imagine...

Apart from that tiny detail, the build is working amazingly well. You really should try Glacial. Especially if you also have the Gore Herald mxt, it's a blast, hurr hurr. :3

I'm thinking about working in the elemental cluster at Scion/Witch part of the tree for another 10% reduced reflect, but it's a very inefficient cluster. I might also consider running a cold res flask, but the thing with those is, this is Harbinger league. The reflect mobs that I'm going to die to are the ones that spawn inside a Harbinger pack. There's no way I'm going to have enough time to respond or even see an ele reflect mob in that clusterfudgemuppet.

Just had another thought: I did die to reflect after I started using my 6L rare chest with Ruthless as the 6th link. Perhaps that's not the best of ideas, regardless of it being the "best DPS gem" in the 6th slot. The nature of Ruthless will mean it's 1/3 chance that the hit on a reflect mob will definitely kill me. Maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble and maybe faster attacks is a safer option. It's an 11% total damage loss compared to Ruthless, but a dead man deals no damage.

After doing some calculations with the following stats:

Reflect Aura: 14% (maps are 15% but I would never run those, only care about mobs)

Average hit damage: 200.000 pure cold
Cold resistance: 79% (75%)
Reduced Reflected Damage: 35%
Reflected damage: 3822 (4550)

Because of Ruthless, that 3822 was estimated to around 5800 damage reflected, which is why I died at 4k life. That's explained, so then lets see what happens if I add 10% more reduced reflect.

Reduced Reflected Damage: 45%
Reflected damage: 3234 (3850)

Note that these calculations are estimations based on rough numbers taken from my personal PoB sheets. They WILL vary for others!

In the above scenario, Purity of Ice provides roughly the same as 10% reduced reflected damage taken, on top of the obvious bonus of having 79% cold res against incoming regular damage.

The extra (inefficient) 10% reflect reduction cluster may not end up being worth it. But I'm seriously reconsidering Ruthless in my setup knowing how much impact it has on reflect. It's like playing Russian roulette at that point. Without VP, I'll still have to stop hitting ASAP if I see reflected damage coming in, as I won't heal fast enough to keep myself alive and most reflect rares will take more than a single hit to kill. While 5800 damage at 6k life might let me survive, realistically I won't as ANY hit from a mob would finish me off, or the second reflected attack if I'm not quick enough to realize.

Ugh, all in all reflect on this build is a serious pain in the bum to deal with. Do that though, and you've got a true gem on your hands.

Last edited by Xavathos on Oct 9, 2017, 6:25:10 AM
"
kompaniet wrote:
lvl 90. a lot of tweaking. still a work in progress but i'm getting closer.
all guardians go down rather smoothly. the hardest one is phoenix. for some reason there is some insane damage going on there without any damage mods (where is the balance here?) but it's alright with purity of fire aura + 2 fire flasks.

tried shaper once but i need to learn the mechanics better of that fight. i make stupid mistakes.
seems to be a dps race until the screen is filled with vortex ground. either that or one vortex is put in the middle inadvertendly exacly where zana will shield me from the bullet hell and then it's all over. so rng + dps race i guess.

my normal mapping setup. for minotaur i use 2 lightning flasks, for hydra 2 cold flasks and for phoenix 2 fire flasks instead of sulphur+atziri.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this!

The Phoenix has a minus max fire res debuff. That's where the damage comes from.

You're right on the shaper fight. It's all about learning the mechanics, placing the vortexes then knowing when blow your pots for a DPS phase.
Last edited by Dongaldo on Oct 9, 2017, 2:30:47 PM
"
Xavathos wrote:
@Dongaldo

How do you deal with reflect? I'm using Yugul and have the 10% reduced reflect damage taken on the tree, so I'm at -35% reflect damage taken, I also use Purity of Ice so I'm at 77 (atm it's not lvl 20 yet) cold res and I'm still one shotting myself on reflect.

My damage, being only lvl 70 right now, is nowhere near what it will be later on and I'm already at 4k life which will at best become 6k at 90+.

This has me slightly worried as you'd imagine...

Apart from that tiny detail, the build is working amazingly well. You really should try Glacial. Especially if you also have the Gore Herald mxt, it's a blast, hurr hurr. :3

I'm thinking about working in the elemental cluster at Scion/Witch part of the tree for another 10% reduced reflect, but it's a very inefficient cluster. I might also consider running a cold res flask, but the thing with those is, this is Harbinger league. The reflect mobs that I'm going to die to are the ones that spawn inside a Harbinger pack. There's no way I'm going to have enough time to respond or even see an ele reflect mob in that clusterfudgemuppet.

Just had another thought: I did die to reflect after I started using my 6L rare chest with Ruthless as the 6th link. Perhaps that's not the best of ideas, regardless of it being the "best DPS gem" in the 6th slot. The nature of Ruthless will mean it's 1/3 chance that the hit on a reflect mob will definitely kill me. Maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble and maybe faster attacks is a safer option. It's an 11% total damage loss compared to Ruthless, but a dead man deals no damage.

After doing some calculations with the following stats:

Reflect Aura: 14% (maps are 15% but I would never run those, only care about mobs)

Reduced Reflected Damage: 35%
Reflected damage: 3822 (4550)

Because of Ruthless, that 3822 was estimated to around 5800 damage reflected, which is why I died at 4k life. That's explained, so then lets see what happens if I add 10% more reduced reflect.

Reduced Reflected Damage: 45%
Reflected damage: 3234 (3850)

Note that these calculations are estimations based on rough numbers taken from my personal PoB sheets. They WILL vary for others!

In the above scenario, Purity of Ice provides roughly the same as 10% reduced reflected damage taken, on top of the obvious bonus of having 79% cold res against incoming regular damage.

The extra (inefficient) 10% reflect reduction cluster may not end up being worth it. But I'm seriously reconsidering Ruthless in my setup knowing how much impact it has on reflect. It's like playing Russian roulette at that point. Without VP, I'll still have to stop hitting ASAP if I see reflected damage coming in, as I won't heal fast enough to keep myself alive and most reflect rares will take more than a single hit to kill. While 5800 damage at 6k life might let me survive, realistically I won't as ANY hit from a mob would finish me off, or the second reflected attack if

Ugh, all in all reflect on this build is a serious pain in the bum to deal with. Do that though, and you've got a true gem on your hands.

Honestly I don't have many issues with single reflect mobs. I mow thru them. From time to time I die to one, but I'm in SC and it doesn't happen frequently enough for me to say, "I really need to deal with that".

Between consecrated ground and leech I've felt fine. I don't know if Starkonja's damage reduction on low life is helping that much or not with keeping me alive.

If I were to change things to deal with reflect I would do one or both of the following. I would dump my 50% reservation to use Purity of Ice. I would also consider dropping a ring for Sibyl's Lament.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info